It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What scientific studies would one persue to do research in the paranormal field?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

Um, 'conscience' and 'consciousness' are not the same thing. Your initial premise is flawed.

OP, I think you might be mistaken about the nature of parapsychology. These days the term can be used to apply to the study of all fields of paranormal phenomena. That said, I wouldn't suggest psychiatry or psychology as a field of study. Both of these fields are extremely close-minded, and I think you will find any study in those areas incredibly frustrating.

There are a few independent academic institutions that offer courses in paranormal phenomena. You might be able to find some courses that suit you in one of those organisations - but I doubt you're going to get much satisfaction within mainstream science.

From what I've seen, the only way to study the paranormal in mainstream science is to study mainstream science for years and develop considerable experience before slightly veering into the paranormal. If you start out in that field you'll be shunned as a 'pseudoscientist' from the get-go.

My message to all mainstream scientists? Just because something is not quantifiable, does not mean it doesn't exist. There is more in heaven and earth than is dreamt of in your philosophy. Good luck OP, but I think you're in for a frustrating journey.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

I do agree, and have thought about this for years, which is why I am looking to get into mainstream and do research of my own, hopefully with like minded individuals, if not, that is fine as well. I also completely agree with your thoughts on psychology and parapsychology, which is why I specificly stated, I am not so much interested in these fields.

I am not looking for acceptance, look at the idea that the earth was round, it was shunned for about a hundred years, and then people wisened up. If all I do is make a small pock mark in the theory, then I willl have contributed in some way. Many tell me that I am setting up for failure, but is it not better to be able to prove or disprove phenomena, rather than sit idly by wondering? One must take a step, as I have decided to follow in Joe Meeks footsteps, Raudive and all of the other people who have asked questions. I feel that telling me that I am in for "hurt, and a world of shunning" are blanket statements, yes people have been shunned, but I must remain positive, and if all fails, I am still an audio engineer, and can record garbage bands, and produce for beiber types

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
In that case I commend your efforts and wish you the very best. I think you need to infiltrate the ranks of science first - so I would suggest finding a different field of science that is interesting to you and building a career in that field before subtly straying into fields that some might consider paranormal.

If I had the time and patience, that would certainly be the approach I would take.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

It is never too late! At this point I am thinking physics and Electrical engineering, as a dual major, as was suggested in the post. I am still researching though.

Regards,

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I think I'm far too jaded about science now - they'd spot me coming a mile away and would form a mob with pitchforks and torches!

Physics definitely seems like a good direction to head, it seems like since we realised quantum physics is really really weird, we've managed to open our minds with regards to physics at least - so that's a start. And my dad was an electrical engineer so I've got a lot of respect for that field.

Go Leafs btw!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seagurt
Many tell me that I am setting up for failure, but is it not better to be able to prove or disprove phenomena, rather than sit idly by wondering?

apparently, some bloke called Edison, or something, supposedly said these words..

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

According to witnesses, he was trying to make something called a light bulb, not that I've seen much evidence of that.. I know how to make a cigarette lighter..

Take the tobacco out

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I've been in the field for about three years with an active interest in the paranormal for over thirty. What area of study should you pursue of you wish to conduct research and investigations. Here's a little list of what I think would be useful.

IF YOU"RE DOING RESEARCH: Statistics and Field Data Analysis. Electrical and Sound Engineering. Photography. Physics (take this as far as you can to the limit of your understanding of the mathmematics of it). Biology. Chemistry.

IF YOU'RE DOING INVESTIGATIONS: Criminal Investigations or Private Investigations (Teaches statment and evidence gathering. Use of surveillance equipment - which is similar to ghsot hunting equipment.). Photography. Journalism. Multimedia and computer applications.

IF YOU'RE DOING RELIGIOUS OR DOGMATIC CONSULTATIONS: You better start taking classes on philosophy, world religions, demonology, and historical reference material on the paranormal.

IF YOU WANT SOME OFFICIAL CREDENTIALS... then by all means take these classes at your local community college or university. If you just want an understanding for personal usage then start checking out books on the subjects from you local library.

What I personnally suspect is when there are enough people interested in the study of the paranormal, when there is a healthy substrata of taxable persons, then I see some states requiring private investigators licensing and some form of insurance or bonding for such groups or individuals. (All of which will cost some money) Conversely if para research dips into and stays in the religious arena's then the sepparation of church and state should protect individuals and groups from taxation and licensing.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Thank you all for your valuable input.

I have made a decision, and am enrolling for a masters in Physics, and a bachelors in Electrical Engineering, If I am accepted that is, if I am not, then I will keep trying.

The road will be long, but the rewards will be fruitful.

I will stay faithful to audio engineering, as it does encompass fields of physics, and it is still one of my interests, and hobbies.

Again, I thank you, and wish all of you who are actively pusuing mystery, some light to shine on said mystery.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join