It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grasping at straws; Mitt Romney excited over Wawa hoagie menue.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Political discourse had come to a new all time low. We have Romney busses driving around an Obama speech honking their horn and liberals following Romney busses in a car with a dog carrier attached to the top.

Now, the MSM weighs in with a story about Romney getting excited over the hoagie menu at a Wawa in Pa.

Good God! Talk about a non-issue. Sure, I like to make fun of Romney being disconnected from the voters as much as the next guy but, this is really grasping at straws.

I think most people who have never been to Eastern Pa or New Jersey would find the touch screen hoagie menues at a Wawa to be somewhat novel. I get my coffee there every morning and I still think the touch screens are kinda cool. To paint this as further evidence of Romney not being able to relate to the common man is disingenuous in my opinion.

Note that Mitchell herself even stumbles over the name of the convenience store. I'll bet that neither her or her elitest buddy have ever set foot in a convenience store in ages for fear of having to interact with the unwashed masses. That's what they have interns for.

What's more, it seems they have edited the video to take his comments out of context.

Some Never Learn: MSNBC Caught Selectively Editing Romney Video to Make Him Seem ‘Out of Touch’

After NBC was caught selectively editing the George Zimmerman police tapes to make it seem like he was volunteering racial information, MSNBC has been caught editing a clip of Mitt Romney to make him seem wildly “out of touch,” when he was really just explaining the difference between the private and public sectors.

In the MSNBC clip, Romney is shown discussing Wawa’s convenience stores like he has never been to one before (presumably because he is “too good” for such an establishment).

In reality, Romney was illustrating the difference between private and public sector efficiency. After telling a story where his friend had to fill out a 33-page form twice to complete a change of address with the government, Romney holds up touch-tone sandwich-ordering as an example of private sector efficiency– not as a marvel of how the “common” man lives.

The Blaze

Here's the full video of Romney's remarks (he doesn't get the name right either BTW):

With the level of political discourse going on in this election, you would think they were competing for 3rd grade class preseident, not President of the US of A!

I wonder if either side will ever get down to discussing the real issues that confront the nation. Then again, maybe they don't have any ideas of how to deal with those issues and this is how they plan to run the whole election; one silly non-issue gaffe attack after another until the biggest clown wins.

edit on 6/19/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
If he liked the touch screen he should try the coffee.

You can pour all kinds of flavored creamer in their wide selection of blends until you have the perfect cup!
'Paid for by WaWa, Inc'

No but seriously, the touch screens are cool.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I see your point. But remember the VAST majority of American's care more about what Kim Kardashian is wearing today than politics.

All you have to do is read Mitt's and Barack's "economic plan" and you should get a good taste of the distain politicians have for their subjects. It full of statistics and pretty pictures, but zero facts. Claims like "i will lower the unemployment rate to 6%" but neither provides any details of HOW..... Why? Because Americans don't pay attention and won't care enough to ask.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
LOL. He is like a kid at the candy store, or a babe in the woods, or a Mitt Romney at a WaWa.

EDIT: Still laughing. All I can hear him say now is WAWA.
edit on 19-6-2012 by SubPop79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Dogs Against Romney

This image says it all. A Dogs Against Romney Pack Member was stopped by the Littleton, Colorado police yesterday for having a dog crate on the roof of his car. The Pack Member , identified only as "Oredigger," was on his way to protest at a Mitt Romney event yesterday with the crate atop his car carrying a stuffed toy dog when the police officer, believing he was actually transporting a live dog on the roof of his car, stopped him. Says Oredigger, "I was pulled over for suspected animal abuse."

Those wacky protesters. I have to admit, that was clever. Getting pulled over for it just proves their point.

But seriously, this is an example of Mitt Romney's poor judgement and is a relevant issue. Not the biggest issue by any means, but still important.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Why would anybody (Romeny) do that to their pet? I don't get it. The dog would have been terrified.

edit on 19-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
What are people supposed to talk about? His positions?
Maybe when he lets us know what they are, we can talk about them.

What a complete dork he is! A man of the people, indeed!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I don't see anything racial about this, but Romney is sort of proving that he's out of it.

Almost everybody who's driven around Pennsylvania, including Philly, knows about the Wawa stores (NOT Wawa's) and most of them by now are at least aware of the automated sandwich machine. That Romney should be so goddam astonished by this trifle shows that he REALLY doesn't have any idea how most people live. I expect he'll soon be expressing amazement that there's this store called Seven-Eleven that has all sorts of groceries for sale at all hours day and night. Maybe he'll be surprised that ordinary folk are able to get from one floor to another by pressing the buttons on the elevator wall all by themselves!

Some weekend afternoon he'll thank his audience for coming to see him and thereby missing their polo game!

He comes across about as aware of how people live as Montgomery Burns - except Burns refrains from firing people.

edit on 6/19/12 by Shoonra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Shoonra

Didn't bother to watch that second video did you?

Was it me or did he seem to have a little trouble with the word Federal?

Also, I would be pretty damn impressed with automated sandwiches. If anyone is aware of a similar thing near Seattle, let me know.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Also, I would be pretty damn impressed with automated sandwiches. If anyone is aware of a similar thing near Seattle, let me know.

It doesn't work quite like that. You punch in your order and it gets printed out for the people working behind the deli. You also get a print out to take to the cash register.

Then, you go to the cash register and pay for the hoagie and whatever else you bought there. After that, you have to go back to the deli, wait for them to make your sandwitch (which can take a long time during the lunch hour) and present them with your slip with "PAID" stamped on it from the register when its done.

It does speed things along as the deli people can focus on making sandwitches instead of taking orders from customers but, not by much.

Back on subject:

I think this is a symptom of the MSM being afraid to go after Romney for being too much like Obama in his policy stances. Since there's not much in the policy area for them to work with, they have to focus on silly stuff like this to try to discredit him.

If they were to focus on the real issue; that he's no different than Obama, they would effectively discredit the whole political process and they can't have us losing faith in our political puppet theatre now can they?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Mark Twain or was it Samuel Clemmons once said..ahem...

How stupid you sound when you say something depends on where you are when you say it.

Many have said that "anybody that drives around Pennsylvania knows about Wawa"... well, what about the people that don't drive around Pennsylvania? Are they so out of touch with the common man?

I remember my first trip to New Jersey. We pull up at a gas station and I hop out to pump..."No,No"...you aren't allowed to pump gas in Jersey."

Really? I replied....anybody in NC can pump gas but not so in NJ. How stupid is that?

Or how about if any of you stopped in my little community here in NC...oh, about 730pm... for gas and a soda. Only to find out that all the stations and stores are closed and you have to drive another 15-20 minutes to the next and bigger town for gas and a drink.

I could easily say..."What. Anybody that drives around this part of NC knows everything closes at sundown. Gee...how out of touch are these people with the common man?"

That's right, everything here in north central NC opens about 430am for the farmers and fishermen and hunters...you can get your bait, coffee, hydraulic fluid, a ham bisquit with egg and cheese...a few couplings for your tractor... but at 730pm... you can hang it up. Everything shuts down.

Gee... everybody knows that.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well, it's working. People are now consumed with stupid pranks and issues that deal with little, if anything, in the big picture of the country, it's problems and direction. Those running the show are certainly thinking LOL.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Seriously .... WAWA has the absolute BEST COFFEE!

It's been two years since I had to stop drinking coffee (can't drink it with Sjogrens). Every day I'd have an extra large WAWA Coffee - with french vanilla creme and no sugar. Somedays I'd have their breakfast sandwiches which were outstanding. WAWA is just one of those little stores that no one takes seriously .. but man they have good stuff. I miss their coffee. I should say .. I REALLY miss their coffee.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

But seriously, this is an example of Mitt Romney's poor judgement and is a relevant issue. Not the biggest issue by any means, but still important.

No, it's not. It's a trivial issue which lefties like to latch onto because it is a way for them to demonize Romney without having to admit the immense parallels between he and Obama.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Liberal media cut piece.

The rest of that statement was intentionally cut off to make it appear Romney is out of touch.

The rest of the statement was discussing this particular innovation in the private sector business and how it should happen in government business. The MAIN FOCUS of the entire series of sentences was 100% about what the liberal biased media CUT OUT.

See how easy it is to make fools out the majority of people aching to jump to a conclusion without any evidence or praying for a lie to be truth (as in this case)?

Fools.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Clearly you have never been to PA and never been to a Wawa.

The deli sandwiches are amazing!!! The menu puts most sandwich businesses to absolute shame. I grew up in PA> I have spent my whole adult life traveling the US. I have been to roughly 35-40 out of the 50 states. I fantasize about going back to Philly just to get a cheesesteak, pizzasteak, pizza fries, REAL pizza, and of course Italian Hoagies from Wawa.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

For the folks who live outside of Eastern Pa or Jersey;

Something tells me this is all the research Romney did before having his appearance there.

The folks on that TV show probably did even less.

ETA: here's a great article on Wawa and their ordering system:

I live in South Jersey, where we have more WaWas per square mile than any place on earth. They were a regional milk provider who started selling sandwiches and coffee, and became a kind of upscale 7-11. It’s a huge success story. They make a damn good sub and a better cup of coffee than Starbucks at half the price.

The thing is, their touchscreen ordering system is a great example innovative tech in daily use. It’s a brilliant, relatively recent application of touch screen technology for custom food orders. Other stores may have something similar, but I’ve never seen one in common use anywhere other than WaWas. (My Shop Rite has something similar for ordering cold cuts.) I doubt very much Mitchell has either.

I’m still impressed by the panels, which work well under heavy use and are designed in such a way that technophobes can navigate them with ease. They’re adjustable, easy-to-read, and responsive. You can pick from a wide selection of condiments and toppings, and even choose the amount of mayo or olive oil, add bacon or extra cheese, choose to have it toasted, and order things on the side. Automating this element of the process also eliminates errors in orders and makes the entire process more efficient. It’s a good system. It must have been a risk for WaWa, and it deserves a shoutout.

Patheos

edit on 6/19/12 by FortAnthem because:
___________ extra DIV

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by KnawLick
reply to post by FortAnthem

I see your point. But remember the VAST majority of American's care more about what Kim Kardashian is wearing today than politics.

All you have to do is read Mitt's and Barack's "economic plan" and you should get a good taste of the distain politicians have for their subjects. It full of statistics and pretty pictures, but zero facts. Claims like "i will lower the unemployment rate to 6%" but neither provides any details of HOW..... Why? Because Americans don't pay attention and won't care enough to ask.

That's because people can't follow the "how", all they can understand is the end result and if it's "good" or "bad". If it got them more votes they would add more. There's a reason Presidential speeches are written at an 8th grade level.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
NBC Strikes Again!! This didn't happen.

NBC Ignores Calls For Explaination in WAWAGATE Gaffe

They screwed with the footage and then refuse to apologize or explain why.

We all know why .. they are an Obama shill machine.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Here's a great vid showing how badly they edited that tape:

top topics

join