It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher has class of 24 take turns slapping bully

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX

It's also pathetic that so many people embrace this idea--that fighting back is wrong, and that we should all let our kids just stand there and take a beating, along with the psychological abuse it comes with. God, grow up and grow a backbone, people! If the teacher was this desperate to make a point, there must have been a good reason.

You must be reading a different thread to me.

The overwhelming response from the peeps who condemn this incident seem to condone spontaneous response from the bullied party, in the moment, including the use of violence. I didn't read a single post that stated "stand there and take a beating".

The only kid that had to stand and take a beating is the ALLEGED bully!

I count double figures of posters relating stories of personally standing up to the bully after getting sick of the harassment, and then noticing that the bully suddenly just went away, (in my case, I didn't even need to use violence, I was just ready and willing to).

The recurrent theme is one of personal growth through conquering adversity ON OUR OWN.

Virtually every one of these posters either suggested uncertainty about the OP incident or outright condemned it. The ones cheering on the teacher seem to be those that got bullied and didn't find the personal fortitude to do something about it themselves, but instead asked teachers for help who did nothing. Again, I think a good idea would be to start secret Aikido training for bullied children. I'd wager they wouldn't need to even use their skill, as the confidence it would instill tends to repel bullies at 200 yards

The kids in line learned that they need an authority figure to protect them, or actually, they learned that an authority figure will help them get revenge, or even worse THAT THEY SHOULD get revenge even if they didn't have that thought in their heads at the time ... sound anything like the "sue 'em" culture (complete with it's incendiary advertising) in the US that cripples genuine human interaction and generosity and has now been exported to Britain and other western countries.

It's the authority figure controlled ritual humiliation of a 6 year old that most seem to object to. Even if you only understood the very basics of pop-psychology, that's patently obviously a dangerous move by the teacher, FOR ALL THE KIDS INVOLVED!

Thank god my kids don't go anywhere near schools like this. If my son or daughter were encouraged to stand in line and strike a peer in the face (or anywhere else) I'd pull 'em out the very same minute I heard about it.

Using violence on a child is just plain insane and frankly, rather lazy. Sure, it's way easier to smack your kid upside the head and frighten them into conforming to your wishes, than it is to use non-violent resolution and actually educate your child about how to live civilly and harmoniously with others.

To those who say 'sometimes you just got to use physical violence' I do agree, but chances are most of the times you will choose the violence, I would be looking for another way. It's really a LAST RESORT and in my experience of raising 3 children NEVER necessary. However, once you raise your hand the first time, the absolute trust that children automatically and biologically experience for their parents is damaged FOREVER. Hitting a child as punishment for hitting someone else is about as lunatic as it gets, talk about a mind-feck.

Regarding the insanity of it all, 6 year olds have good reason and excuse to be insane. They are still struggling to integrate into an insane world, being exposed to conflicting messages about morals, ethics and personal behaviour on a fairly constant basis. It takes some time for children to get their heads around the concepts of sarcasm, hypocrisy, do as I say and not as I do, and also that the violence in the cartoons, movies and video games isn't actually 'realistic'.

Additionally, most here are quick to blame the parent, and of course, parents are primary examples for kids. But don't forget your kids spend around 8 hours per day with their teachers as adult role models and quite a bit less than that around their parents. Working dads (and mums too) may not see young children for more than a few minutes per day, so the male adult role model is often the school teacher or principal (if they are a man!) There is also no training for parenthood, but there is plenty of training to be a teacher!

Adults, especially teachers who are supposed to be trained in child care, should be able to do better than resort to violence to resolve a 6 year old 'bullying' challenge.
edit on 21-6-2012 by RogerT3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
When did America turn into a bunch of pussies? A little bit of roughhousing on the playground isn't "bullying". People are too damn overprotective these days.

And for God's sake the kid is six years old. Believe it or not six year old's don't have the best developed senses of morality.

Anyone praising the teacher in this thread is retarded.

edit on 21-6-2012 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

THey are not Entrusted, but mere servants of the Employer group, us. We are the guardians and watchdogs of Democracy and our environment. But even more so, its fascist and unconstitutional.
reply to post by Unity_99

Really? Are you actually correcting me? Can you rephrase what you are saying so I understand more clearly your message? Thank you in advance.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Sometimes violence is necessary in self defense.

This was not a case of self-defense. This was a case of an authority figure pressuring others to be violent towards another child, in a classroom environment (and to do something many knew was wrong and did not want to do, because an authority figure told them to do it). It is insane to suggest this kind of action is the best way to handle a situation of bullying. Why is a bully a bully? Often it is because of what he experiences at home, sometimes these kids are bullied by a parent to get compliance in their home and do not know a better way. You would think that the school would not further injure a child and would instead teach the correct way to interact with others.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Not sure where I stand on this. My 11 yr old was bullied by this one giant fat brat from pre school to 3rd grade. I mean, my son came home with lumps on his head, cuts to his lip, etc....one day us parents were standing out front waiting for the kids to come out. What we all witnessed was this same bully shoving my son over the threshold of the front doors, so my son cracked his face on the concrete. I was held back by several parents because I had enough and I was trying to get at this bully to spank his butt.
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

Why is it that parents complain about the lack of safety in schools today but still send them into an unsafe environment? There is absolutely no way this assault on a 6 year old can be justified, yet...I see people doing it... Why isn't anyone discussing what kind of environment is being encouraged in the school system? I would think parents would yank their child out of a dangerous psychological and physical environment rather than making excuses for it.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
For a site that prides itself on " denying ignorance", there is a lot of people ignorant to the
developmental capabilities of a SIX YEAR OLD!!! A six year old does not have good impulse
control!! Nor do they have the ability to use good judgement!! However, an adult is supposed
to, especially an educator of 5 and 6 year olds.

I said earlier bullying is only a symptom of a problem. Have you considered
this child may be the victim of bullying in his other environments. Often
children who have been bullied will act out in the same manner.

This so called educator took it upon herself to act as judge, jury and executor!!
Even for the report to claim she was trying to be creative is Bull****!
No, she was too damn lazy and ignorant to this child's needs. She
thought she was being cute and her actions wreak of stupidity,
laziness, incompetence, and emotional instability.

I am all for a child defending himself with any means possible, but since when do
we need an adult to physically fight a six year old or an adult to orchestrate a battle
of 24 against 1?? Yeah! that is fair! (sarcasm)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
everyone says "the world has gone to $#!t", but what has really changed? child discipline. how has it changed? spanking kids is frowned upon. now we're left with a generation of punks who have never had a brush with authority that's actually affected them.

nowadays kids aren't told that they're "wrong" but "creative". what happened to grades that meant something? oh yeah, it was washed away with the liberal agenda of acceptance.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
For a site that prides itself on " denying ignorance", there is a lot of people ignorant to the
developmental capabilities of a SIX YEAR OLD!!! A six year old does not have good impulse
control!! Nor do they have the ability to use good judgement!! However, an adult is supposed
to, especially an educator of 5 and 6 year olds.

I said earlier bullying is only a symptom of a problem. Have you considered
this child may be the victim of bullying in his other environments. Often
children who have been bullied will act out in the same manner.

This so called educator took it upon herself to act as judge, jury and executor!!
Even for the report to claim she was trying to be creative is Bull****!
No, she was too damn lazy and ignorant to this child's needs. She
thought she was being cute and her actions wreak of stupidity,
laziness, incompetence, and emotional instability.

I am all for a child defending himself with any means possible, but since when do
we need an adult to physically fight a six year old or an adult to orchestrate a battle
of 24 against 1?? Yeah! that is fair! (sarcasm)

First of all... "there is alot of people ignorant", you may want to refrain from the insult tossing game.

Second, how many kids have you raised past 6 years old? Where are you drawing your conclusions about the limitations of a 6yr old's abilities with impulse control and judgement? That's rhetorical. I'm a father of two very capable kids that knew right from wrong by that time. They weren't little animals that just performed off instinct and "impulse".

What is wrong with a threat of scary punishment to deter bad behavior? In this case, to prove its effectiveness, there had to be an example. The other kids will not want to be on the receiving end of the punishment, so they will refrain from bullying. Kids are smart that way. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE THAT AGE!!!!! THAT'S EXACTLY WHEN YOU NEED TO NIP BAD BEHAVIOR IN THE BUD!!!! IF YOU WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE ADULTS, YOU'VE FAILED!!!!!!!

That kid will check his behavior.

Bullied kids are the ones society need fear the most. So a solution is to whoop all the bullies so there are no more bullied kids.

Bullies pick on the kids who won't fight back; usually the smaller kids. How easy for you supposed former victims of bullying to say "just hit back like I did". 99.9% internet bravado tripe.

Pull the collective head out of the collective rear.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Second, how many kids have you raised past 6 years old? Where are you drawing your conclusions about the limitations of a 6yr old's abilities with impulse control and judgement? That's rhetorical. I'm a father of two very capable kids that knew right from wrong by that time. They weren't little animals that just performed off instinct and "impulse". What is wrong with a threat of scary punishment to deter bad behavior? In this case, to prove its effectiveness, there had to be an example. The other kids will not want to be on the receiving end of the punishment, so they will refrain from bullying. Kids are smart that way. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE THAT AGE!!!!! THAT'S EXACTLY WHEN YOU NEED TO NIP BAD BEHAVIOR IN THE BUD!!!! IF YOU WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE ADULTS, YOU'VE FAILED!!!!!!! That kid will check his behavior. Bullied kids are the ones society need fear the most. So a solution is to whoop all the bullies so there are no more bullied kids.
reply to post by primus2012

Wow, Everything you said was completely ignorant, and you are a father?

Take a course in developmental psychology and you will learn that kids around that age do not develop their locus of control at the same pace. They also are affected by their environment. Ever hear of Jim Jones? That preacher worshiped Stalin and used techniques much like this teacher did on his own followers. He would take a person and force their own family members to beat the person in front of the congregation as a form of punishment. He controlled and manipulated hundreds of people to do whatever he wanted them to do without thinking. Then he caused them to commit suicide, and killed the ones who resisted. Now why is a practice like this being used in school? Why would any parent not see this kind of thing as deplorable... I would say the system is being supported by ignorant parents who do not have the education to understand the psychology of human development or history of social experiments. I would say you might want to pull your own head out before you accuse others of the same...since you clearly are not informed in the areas of mass psychological manipulation and control. Do some homework daddy.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScatterBrain

Second, how many kids have you raised past 6 years old? Where are you drawing your conclusions about the limitations of a 6yr old's abilities with impulse control and judgement? That's rhetorical. I'm a father of two very capable kids that knew right from wrong by that time. They weren't little animals that just performed off instinct and "impulse". What is wrong with a threat of scary punishment to deter bad behavior? In this case, to prove its effectiveness, there had to be an example. The other kids will not want to be on the receiving end of the punishment, so they will refrain from bullying. Kids are smart that way. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE THAT AGE!!!!! THAT'S EXACTLY WHEN YOU NEED TO NIP BAD BEHAVIOR IN THE BUD!!!! IF YOU WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE ADULTS, YOU'VE FAILED!!!!!!! That kid will check his behavior. Bullied kids are the ones society need fear the most. So a solution is to whoop all the bullies so there are no more bullied kids.

Wow, Everything you said was completely ignorant, and you are a father?

Take a course in developmental psychology and you will learn that kids around that age do not develop their locus of control at the same pace. They also are affected by their environment. Ever hear of Jim Jones? That preacher worshiped Stalin and used techniques much like this teacher did on his own followers. He would take a person and force their own family members to beat the person in front of the congregation as a form of punishment. He controlled and manipulated hundreds of people to do whatever he wanted them to do without thinking. Then he caused them to commit suicide, and killed the ones who resisted. Now why is a practice like this being used in school? Why would any parent not see this kind of thing as deplorable... I would say the system is being supported by ignorant parents who do not have the education to understand the psychology of human development or history of social experiments. I would say you might want to pull your own head out before you accuse others of the same...since you clearly are not informed in the areas of mass psychological manipulation and control. Do some homework daddy.

You're bringing up Jim Jones and mass insanity when we're talking about stopping a bullying child with the slaps of his peers. I guess you told me. Who can argue with that logic? I may really be the ignorant one here.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

You're bringing up Jim Jones and mass insanity when we're talking about stopping a bullying child with the slaps of his peers. I guess you told me. Who can argue with that logic? I may really be the ignorant one here.

Giving you an example of the exact same type of practice to demonstrate the dangerousness of what this teacher did in the class is ignorant? Listen daddy, Get off your high horse and teach your kids how to handle bullies on their own rather than supporting something you clearly do not understand the implications. Do your job.
Btw, I have raised two children through to adulthood, and I taught them how to handle life situations on their own, that's what parents are supposed to do darling. Pathetic you can't even understand my last post, even when an example was presented. *shrugs

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

First of all I have raised 2 kids one being autistic thank you very much! Secondly,
I spent a lot of time working as a psychiatric nurse and know a little bit of what I am
talking about.

If you think this kind of behavior is okay, and nipping the problem in the bud then I would
strongly encourage you to educate yourself in. child development! Based on your post you
do not know anything about the psyche of a child and that would make you ignorant, as the word
is defined as "not knowing". If you claim you do know something then I would have to question
why you as a parent think this teachers actions are alright.

So which is it? Ignorance or poor parenting skills?

Pax

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

So which is it? Ignorance or poor parenting skills?
reply to post by paxnatus

Agreed. I would suggest both.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Bullying is out of control. A teacher actually tried something instead of sitting idly by like the "experts" would have him do. All the naysayers have a million arguments why it was wrong, but they aren't offering any alternative methods that actually might work.
This situation might have just prevented the bully from causing damage to one or more meek kids down the road. The teacher might've just prevented a future Columbine, or a suicide, or a drop-out.

Schools need to be safe havens for our children. Hiring teachers with salt-enough to ensure their safety would be a good first step.

More than likely, the result will be: the bully and his family crying foul, garner all kinds of sympathy and recompense, and the bullied will be mocked, belittled, ridiculed and told to stand up for themselves, and the cycle will continue. Isn't that the way of the "experts"?

btw Rhetorical means don't respond because the answer is already known. I knew it would be "expert" and "child psychology blah blah blah"....

edit on 22-6-2012 by primus2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Bullying is out of control. A teacher actually tried something instead of sitting idly by like the "experts" would have him do.

Might I suggest you educate yourself on public education legislation that has been passed in the past 50 years. If that is more effort than you are willing to give to understand what you entrust your child too when you send them to public school, maybe start with "goals 2000". Goals 2000, made many claims, one of them was to make sure that "experts" were to be utilized in educating your child. What are these experts also called...not teachers (that's what the masses call them), they are actually change-agents darling. The top priority is not to teach them the basics skills we expect (the tools,reading, writing, mathematics) so they may pull themselves out of whatever poor circumstance they have been born into, but to change the way your child believes, what your child is to be obedient too, and how your child will act.

The moment they begin kindergarten they are taught they and you (the parent) are part of the problem and they will "educate" your child how to become part of the solution, whether you or they like it or not. I will take a moment and dig up a educational video for you the parent, but no one can force you to take the time to smarten up. *shrugs (I see this as probably a waste of my time, because I have a feeling you will not be able to make the connection between how the system teaches now and how it is connected to the topic of this thread, but I will give it a go, and your welcome).

edit on 22-6-2012 by ScatterBrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon

Am I the only one who is actually smiling on the inside after reading this story?

I don't know about anyone else, but I am most certainly not smiling. What is this going to teach him? That violence is the solution and it is clearly not. Making the other kids line up and hit him?

No, that wont do anything other than teach those kids, that fighting is the answer. And it is not.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, my friend.

The teacher lost her job as she should have. Her telling the little boy not to tell his parents, just shows that she knows what she did was wrong and she was trying to cover it up.

No, I don't support meeting bullies with bullying. and I am not smiling one bit about the abuse of a 6 year old boy at the hands of what was supposed to be a trusted teacher.

Truth_2012

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join