It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain stops Russian ship carrying attack helicopters for Syria

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TritonTaranis

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Yeah of course the CIA brainwashed the entire middle east to revolt against its leaders that they was ole so very happy with for oppressing them, i also like to punch people that are kind to me
makes perfect sense right?

I wonder how much it would cost to pay many millions of Middle Easterners to protest on the streets and not be discovered, or are they using mind control? absolutely ridiculous claims

Syria was just fine until this foreign backed "revolution" began.

So was Tunisia, Egypt, Bahrain, etc etc, but thankfully we didn't have a # head of a leader that was in office in those country's, and an allie equally as pathetic to send in arms to keep them in power, Russia should have asked him to step down along with Iran just like the West did to the country's they have close relations with, funny enough all the country's all those country's are not locked in a bloody civil war because a peaceful transition of power was allowed and backed,

Imagine if the West decided they would send arms into Tunisia, & Egypt /other for there governments to fight there own people to stay in power all for there own gains?

You can't get any more idiotic than than i'm afraid, Russia & Iran are to blame for the current situation in Syria because they asked Assad to not step down and decided to give him the means to kill his own people,

The USA continues to sell weapons to ruthless dictatorships such as Saudi Arabia and Israel yet we don't hear a peep, Russia sells Syria some hardware and the shipment gets stopped. I hope I'm not the only one who sees the irony in this.

So you think it is right to send arms into a country in the midst of a year long bloody civil war? and your clearly
having a sulk that these weapons didn't make it into the war zone, omg wake up please,

In fact the Americans even funded and armed the Taliban during the Russian/Afghan war...things that make you go hmmmmmmm?

What don't you get?, you cannot relate these two issue they're NOT the SAME,

There was no revolution in Afghanistan,

There was no Civil war in Afghanistan

The people of Afghanistan was not fighting its own goivernemnt

It was a war, Syria is not a war with another country, it is a war within its own boarders that has come about due
to Assad deciding he will not listen to his peoples calls for change & reforms, he will instead fight his own people to remain in office, Russia decided for its own gain they would provide Assad the means to Kill those people, and thats what you back

So how is it AT ALL like Afghanistan? are you backwards or something?

The Syrian rebels are the real terrorists

They sure do look like terrorist don't they,

You mean the peaceful protesters who are now being force to fight for there life's against Assad with Russian arms?

Funny how they was never called Terrorists in any other Middle Eastern country's that had revolution, they all seem to be enjoying new reforms & a new government that listens to them and serves them instead of one that oppresses them and kills them for asking for change

edit on 19-6-2012 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

Are you actually simple?
You do realise how hypocritical that post just was don't you?

The US DO back their dictators with lethal weapons. Look at Saudi Arabia and Yemen. It is US weapons that is imposing rule on those people.

There WAS bloodshed in Egypt in case you didn't know. The military (also US backed) were shooting civilians with tear gas, rubber bullets and in some cases live ammo.

There was protests in the USA where the police used rubber bullets on protestors and actually KILLED an Iraq war vet.

You, have proven beyond doubt to be clueless, gullible. Ignorant, arrogant, hypocritical and most all a completely brain dead fool.

So, just GTFO and watch something besides Fox/CNN/Jersey Shore. Idiot.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TritonTaranis

They said that this shipment was a breach of sanctions against Syria but I don't think Russia will be very happy about this. If I recall correctly, Putin and Obama met yesterday so perhaps Putin actually gave the okay on this, no one knows for sure.

I just think it's funny how certain nations can pick and choose which other nations are allowed to sell military equipment. They like to slap sanctions on the new bogey man but continue to participate in weapons sales themselves.

The world of hypocrites never ceases to amaze me.

www.tele graph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-6-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

Its a Civil war, not a war on Russia's allie, big difference, the US/West sells arms to allies sure but i does not sell its allies weapons to kill its own people in the midsts of a Revolution turned bloody civil war, it asks them to step down and allow for a peaceful transition of power and that a government respects the wishes of its people

President Obama at the White House Wednesday, went further than either the administration or Sen. John Kerry (D-MA), who have called for Mubarak not to run again for president but have stopped short of calling for him to relinquish power at this time.

thecable.foreignpolicy.com...

So please stop talking rubbish, you're obviously confused as to the situation in Syria, and obviously quite upset these helicopters wont be killing Syrians any time soon, personally i don't see how anybody could be upset arms didnit make it into a warzone where these weapons would be used to kill CIVILIANS, you truely must be a stupid brainwashed gullible fool

You're an idiot. You are either a shill, or a sheep that follows what the MSM tells you to. There is no hope for you my friend.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by libertytoall

From what I can tell from his public statements Wesley Clark, and many, many of the officers at staff level are straight professional soldiers.

This impression may be outdated though. A decade ago, one gathers, a lot of these people were as mystified as anyone else about what was emanating out of the White House. Things may have changed. It could be that a lot of those people have either retired out of the service, like Clark, or have "gotten religion" in the meantime.

"Praise the Lord and pass the memoranda!"

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

They said that this shipment was a breach of sanctions against Syria but I don't think Russia will be very happy about this. If I recall correctly, Putin and Obama met yesterday so perhaps Putin actually gave the okay on this, no one knows for sure.

I just think it's funny how certain nations can pick and choose which other nations are allowed to sell military equipment. They like to slap sanctions on the new bogey man but continue to participate in weapons sales themselves.

The world of hypocrites never ceases to amaze me.

www.tele graph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-6-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

Who outside of the US respects these "sanctions?" The US ignores and our press doesn't cover anything WE VIOLATE and this happens on a regular basis.

The total "win" or "victory over evil" here is we stopped the Ruskies from arming their proxy state and next time they might foil our attempts. Our media won't be covering whatever gets or doesn't get shipped to the more "freedom loving" regimes we support.

>> Can you tell I'm totally cynical about this whole "which military has the upper hand" today nonsense?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Why do these arguement have to degenerate into who is morally "right" here - US or Russia? It's neither and both - each is supporting a different side in a complex Civil War. Just the same - no side in Syria is right, and both have justifications to fight. The Syrian population is split as well.

What the issue is that the US government pretends like it is the greatest humanitarian that graced the Earth, standing on a moral pedestal and telling others with a straight face that it wants to save them. And the media is too happy to carry the message. It is an outright hypocrisy that is carried with such a straight face by US officials, than everyone else in the world cringes at the farce. Russia may voice justifications about choosing its side, but it does not slap everyone in the face with pretenses of being righteous and caring deeply about the poor people.

The world is what it is, and each country does its dirty work. But instead of just carrying on with it, US officials are bleating on that they deeply care about innocent poor Syrian civilians and children. That is, without a question, not the reason they are supporting the rebels and opposing Assad - everyone else in the world knows it.

The fact is - it is going to be a long and bloody war, and no politicians in US, Europe, or Russia seriously give a crap about the Syrian civilians dying. It is a proxy conflict for control. US is involved, mostly indirectly through "Saudi Arabia", which is its pet project in the Middle East. Saudi tactics mirror in a lot of ways the CIA tactics employed in Afghanistan in the 80's, and in many conflicts since. Saudi Arabia may just be the best student of CIA when it comes to this. And Russia is indirectly involved on the opposing side, providing arms and political backing (blocking UN action) to Assad so that he could maintain status quo. The conflict is maintly internal, but it was certainly ignited from the outside.

Britain ultimately accomplished nothing with this stunt, but a brief delay. Russia will deliver this shipment, and I can only guess many others. As for the meat grinder in Syria - it is the fault of all parties involved, including US. The longer US politicians continue to make a joke of themselves with their self-righteousness, the more credibility they will lose. Tell it like it is - "we are there to stomp on some heads and make this country our b****".

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trajan

Are you actually simple?

You, have proven beyond doubt to be clueless, gullible. Ignorant, arrogant, hypocritical and most all a completely brain dead fool.

So, just GTFO Idiot.

Originally posted by Ryanssuperman

You're an idiot. You are either a shill, or a sheep that follows what the MSM tells you to. There is no hope for you my friend.

Perfect examples of... THE TRUTH HURTS

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

You should read this. All is not always what it seems.

Syrian Rebels Responsible For Houla Massacre: Report

But according to a new report in Germany’s leading daily, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ), the Houla massacre was in fact committed by anti-Assad Sunni militants, and the bulk of the victims were member of the Alawi and Shia minorities, which have been largely supportive of Assad. For its account of the massacre, the report cites opponents of Assad, who, however, declined to have their names appear in print out of fear of reprisals from armed opposition groups.

According to the article’s sources, the massacre occurred after rebel forces attacked three army-controlled roadblocks outside of Houla. The roadblocks had been set up to protect nearby Alawi majority villages from attacks by Sunni militias. The rebel attacks provoked a call for reinforcements by the besieged army units. Syrian army and rebel forces are reported to have engaged in battle for some 90 minutes, during which time “dozens of soldiers and rebels” were killed.

“According to eyewitness accounts,” the FAZ report continues,

the massacre occurred during this time. Those killed were almost exclusively from families belonging to Houla’s Alawi and Shia minorities. Over 90% of Houla’s population are Sunnis. Several dozen members of a family were slaughtered, which had converted from Sunni to Shia Islam. Members of the Shomaliya, an Alawi family, were also killed, as was the family of a Sunni member of the Syrian parliament who is regarded as a collaborator. Immediately following the massacre, the perpetrators are supposed to have filmed their victims and then presented them as Sunni victims in videos posted on the internet.

continue reading at the link above.

This was sent to me by a good friend who was a spy (there is no other word for it) out in the Middle East - An American. I don't think he would send it unless he thought it was true but obviously i cannot prove it one way or the other.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
reply to post by libertytoall

From what I can tell from his public statements Wesley Clark, and many, many of the officers at staff level are straight professional soldiers.

This impression may be outdated though. A decade ago, one gathers, a lot of these people were as mystified as anyone else about what was emanating out of the White House. Things may have changed. It could be that a lot of those people have either retired out of the service, like Clark, or have "gotten religion" in the meantime.

"Praise the Lord and pass the memoranda!"

Wesley Clarke does seem to be an actual PROFESSIONAL. I don't trust however, a lot of the Generals as they seem to get promoted more often by towing the line for some politician than for any strategic or military ability.

In the big picture -- the militaries are securing cheap resources and labor for multinationals -- so if you merely look at what we do or don't do from a standpoint of "North American security" -- it won't make sense. If you look at if from the point of view of us as a mob enforcer for hire -- things start to line up.

Stability is achieved by making sure that people you want to control are afraid of some foreign attack -- this distracts them from how their own government might loot and pillage "the commons." Pakistan and India, for instance, probably NEED each other on a war footing, or they'd have to deal with millions of starving and illiterate people clamoring for prosperity.

>> From all the recent WikiLeaks -- it seems that "professionals" who are interested in the USA are not the norm however. The CIA sells all our secrets to information clearing houses who then sell it to corporations and marketing database outfits. Countries don't need to spy on America -- they just purchase the data on whomever they want. It's probably a bidding war now because ANYONE from any country can put money on the nose of whichever politician they want to own.

So we are likely SAFE from real espionage, because everyone owns a piece of us. China doesn't have to fear and invasion -- they can just buy up any Senator they want. However, if you haven't enough money to get into this game like Iraq or Libya -- you can be in a world of hurt.

I'm actually a REAL PATRIOT -- but I can't stand the term anymore. I can't even bear flag waving. It's been so cheapened by people selling you a war, or hiding behind some sense of honor that it might as well have a little copyright symbol on the corner. A tin flag pin for plastic people.

Since War is a Racket -- then it stands to reason that a LOT OF PEOPLE in the business of war are either cynical or in the dark. A professional OFFICER is probably rare indeed.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DukeEligos
reply to post by zeetroyman

lol...found it eventually

how many helicopters do you think can fit on it?

its (the ship )dimensions 130m x 20m
edit on 19-6-2012 by DukeEligos because: link

Just a point of interest,the will be disassembled and in crates, not fully assembled helicopters

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

Is there a single shred of evidence to suggest the Free Syrian Army are western backed? nope there isn't because they're not,

Update: March 19, 2012 - It is now confirmed that Saudi Arabia is shipping arms to foreign fighters and Syrian rebels operating out of Jordan. The Australian reports in their article, "Bombs in Syria as Saudis 'send arms to rebels'," that "Saudi military equipment is on its way to Jordan to arm the Free Syrian Army," quoting an Arab diplomat. Of course, as reported below, the "Free Syrian Army" is led not by Syrians, but by NATO-backed Libyan militants from the US State Department-listed terrorist organization, the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group.

landdestroyer.blogspot.ie...

Who else is backing the Syrian rebels?
You know, those democracy-loving freedom fighters so many American leaders are crying out to arm and defend with our own military?

How about:

Hamas

The Muslim Brotherhood

and those ultimate freedom haters, Al Qaida

Hat tip to Washington's Blog for this post. Here's their latest offering:
Cold War 2.0 Has Begun … In Syria

jpaulson.blogspot.ie...

A senior member of the Turkish Parliament says Ankara is arming and supporting armed groups fighting the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

“Southern Turkey has become a hot-bed for training Syrian armed fighters in guerilla warfare,” Refik Eryilmaz of Turkey’s Republican People's Party (CHP) told the Turkish newspaper Yeni Chag.

www.presstv.com...

The government of Syria has reported a brigade of 120 French soldiers part of a transmission unit came to support the rebels were caught by forces loyal to the Syrian regime in the region of Zabadani, after they took control of a key neighborhood in the city of homes.

The news of the arrests follow admissions from the Syria rebels to journalists earlier in the week that the US and France were supplying anti-aircraft missiles and other arms to the opposition forces.

So far French and western media outlets have not reported on the claims but instead have been awkwardly silent.

http://(nolink)/2012/03/01/report-120-french-troops-supporting-syria-rebels-captured-89202/

Russia has been reported accusing Libya of supporting the Syrian rebels and providing them with weapons after the Lebanese navy said it intercepted a Sierra Leone-registered ship, the Lutfallah II, and its 11-men crew, that was carrying a large consignment of arms and ammunition that were destined for Syrian rebels.

The ship, that was carrying that ammunition and light, medium and heavy weaponry is reported to have begun its voyage from Libya, stopped off in Alexandria in Egypt, and then headed for the port of Tripoli in northern Lebanon before it was intercepted.

The captain of the ship told Reuters that the ship was originally asked to carry 12 containers of "general cargo" from Libya to Lebanon. After three days of delay it left only carrying the three containers.

In its report Reuters said that some some of the arms were labelled as Libyan, and quoted the ship's owner saying it was due to unload in Tripoli, northern Lebanon. He went on to say that he had been told that the ship was carrying engine oil, and that he was unaware of any weapons. "The law doesn't allow me to open and inspect the containers," he said.

www.tripolipost.com...

WASHINGTON/DAMASCUS: As one diplomatic effort after another fails to end more than a year of brutal violence in Syria, the Obama administration is preparing a plan that would essentially give U.S. nods of approval to arms transfers from Arab nations to some Syrian opposition fighters.

The effort, U.S. officials told the Associated Press, would vet members of the Free Syrian Army and other groups to determine whether they are suitable recipients of munitions to fight President Bashar Assad’s government and to ensure that weapons don’t wind up in the hands of Al-Qaeda-linked terrorists or other extremist groups that could target Israel.

Read more: www.dailystar.com.lb...
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: www.dailystar.com.lb...)

I could go on.

Just about every man and his dog it would seem.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
I think its pretty obvious that Obama and Putin came to a face saving ageement.
The insurance thing is just a face saving arrangement so the navy didnt have to arrest the boat....Putin looks ike hes supporting assad, and the arm doesnt get the choppers to kill civvys with.
If thats a current picture, that boat is not carrying much of anything at all.........

I think it's simply that Russia has a base in the Med and they want to keep it. They are just using Syria, I don't think they give a crap about Syria itself.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

LOL @ blogspots

and presstv

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
I think it's simply that Russia has a base in the Med and they want to keep it. They are just using Syria, I don't think they give a crap about Syria itself.

They do give a crap about Syria, in-so-far as they don't want it to fall under US sphere of influence. Russia, China, and many others see the US strategy in Middle East as toppling dominos one by one - only the dominos they don't like of course. With Syria and Iraq, there is a very nice continuous line in the sand from the Med to the Gulf. Assuming of course this domino strategy does fall apart catastrophically.

Now the Syrian people - those neither US, Russia, or EU politicians give a crap about.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

That was my point. You just explained it better. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I don't doubt the Rebels "could" have committed those crimes, As i suspect this is as i have always said in this thread, or in any other

A Sunni - Alawite problem NOT a western backed conspiracy coming from the lunatics drowning in anti west BS in this thread, they're without question delusional brainwashed idiots,

Which is why it is also important to stop arms from those who support either side getting into the country it will just make things worst, its a real tough one this especially a solution at this point, simply because its a Sunni - Shiite or Alawite Civil War the same as Libya was Sunni - Shiite, the country will have to split into two as i can't see either backing down at this point and the world won't stand for much more bloodshed, i think even if Assad should remove the threat/rebels ...he wont, this is a problem that will stay for many years after i think Syria or what ever it becomes will see many years of violence, due to prominently Sunni Muslim states who have engineered this problem and likely others in the region to,

Russia/Iran - Saudis/Qatar that's all anybody really needs to know about Syria's current problems right now, that is the core of the problem currently and they're the main players,

There needs to be a cease fire and some diplomatic solution, the answer is not to pump more arms in, because if Russia does, the Saudis & Qatar will also be pumping more in, costing more needless loss of life, which is why "Corruption Exposed" is a total idiot that couldn't expose anything other than his own opinion

Should there be a split state, we will see the Sunni half of the country which through relations with the Saudis become more in line with the other friendly western ME states, which IMO is why Russia & Iran are funding & arming Assad they stand to lose alot, an allie, & possibly a naval port

Ok so some links for you to join the dots...

Kofi Annan warned sectarian violence in Syria could spread across borders

Lebanon has sent troops to the port city of Tripoli after at least 10 people were killed in clashes linked to unrest across the border in Syria.

So he was right... read more below
www.bbc.co.uk...

Lebanese Sunnis and Alawites have clashed in the northern Lebanese city of Tripoli.

The Alawites," to which many of the senior echelons of the Assad regime belong, "they are apostates - and they are killing Muslims all over Syria

One way of looking at the situation in Syria is almost as a civil war between the Alawites (an offshoot of Shia) who constitute the bulk of the regime, and the Sunnis who constitute the bulk of the rebels. Although Assad's Alawite sect makes up only 12% of the country, they hold the bulk of the positions in government and the state security apparatus.

Meanwhile, the Sunnis make up anywhere from 60-75% of the population, and constitute the vast bulk of the rebellion. Part of the reason the regime - and most of the Alawite population - is fighting so hard to hold on to power is they fear the repercussions if they lose, the Alawites are fearful that the majority Sunnis may turn on them if Assad falls. the Alawites to the grave" has been heard at many anti-government protests,

Most of Syria is comprised of Sunni Muslims, but about 12 to 15% of the population is comprised of Alawites. They are nominally considered Shiite Muslims, but they have some differing beliefs that cause many Sunnis, and even other Shiites, to consider them heretics.

The Alawites are predominantly rural, and because the more urban and prosperous Sunnis didn’t want to serve in the armed forces, the Alawites went there in droves. They eventually came to dominate, and in 1970 the current president’s father, Hafez Assad, staged a coup and installed many Alawites in positions of power.

So Assads regime is a minority in power in Syria, Which is the reality behind the Revolution tuned Civil War

Please read here for more
www.reuters.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
it's a game...OF THRONES...pun intended

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The proxy war is going full motion at this point, coupled with the reports of Russia/China/Iran/Syria doing joint war games around the Suez Canal I feel like it's only going to be a matter of time before some useful idiot pulls the trigger and sets off WW3.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Konduit

FYI

Syria, Russia deny report of large-scale joint military exercise

Syria and Russia on Tuesday denied a report by the Iranian Fars news agency that Russian, Chinese, Syrian, and Iranian troops would conduct large-scale joint military exercises in Syria within the next several weeks.

Russia’s Interfax news agency quoted Bouthaina Shaaban, a political and media adviser to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, describing the report as “false.” “There will be nothing of the sort. This is another false report being spread about us,”

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It's not Christmas yet but got some gifts I'll drop off anyway.

BBC uses inaccurate photo to fuel unwarranted resentment towards Syria.

Showing images from Egypt and claiming they're Libyans to make it appear the people were unsettled with their government.... The media uses this tactic often in regards to the ME. Pay attention.

Rebels truly to blame for massacre, not Syrian government. Media warps the facts.

Cheers
edit on 19-6-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I'll just place this here in the hope that other people click and listen.

There's more to them than "No Handlebars"

If you listen to to the whole thing, you'll see that this is quite apt for this situation. I think that we do have the ability to make a better world. It starts with individuals like you.

Music (not what the radio shows you) is rife with artists that feel sick and tired of the powers that be using the masses for their end game.

Does anyone remember the band Pennywise? Take a listen to their latest CD. These are the Bob Dylan's of this 20-something generation, we might do well to listen.
edit on 19-6-2012 by MystikMushroom because: Gramatical errors

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join