It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain stops Russian ship carrying attack helicopters for Syria

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

if anything i would say that control of waterways and inshore water (not deep) is more important now than its ever been!

Do you expect an industry boom in the coming decades? One could argue with over population (theory contested) we will look to the oceans for further expansion/development. Will we run into more issues as decribed by the OP?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by RogerT3

The ship is insured by a private firm i imagine. It's not British Insurance so to speak.

Indeed. The vessel IS insured by its owner/operator (whomever that truly is). The article says Femco but depending on whether or not they own the vessel outright is another matter. You see, unless you have the money to buy the vessel outright (which most don't) then the vessel is mortgaged, which means it is owned by a bank or group of investors.

The vessel is required to have P&! insurance when in EU waters to cover accidental collisions, loss of cargo etc but that has been revoked by the UK government as she was in UK waters and they want to put spin on it to make it look like "Its the Russians", when it bl**dy well isn't...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrandHeretic
Then there is C) get irrationally hosed and give the POTUS an ultimatum.....
I don't think this scheduled meeting between the 2 was a fore planned event if you get my drift.

Or...

Just impotently sit there with a glazed look on his face...

From AP regarding the meeting...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

if anything i would say that control of waterways and inshore water (not deep) is more important now than its ever been!

Do you expect an industry boom in the coming decades? One could argue with over population (theory contested) we will look to the oceans for further expansion/development. Will we run into more issues as decribed by the OP?

Pass...what i will say though is that oil exploration under the seabed is increasing all the time. As technology advances, more oil and gas becomes extractable. Deep Water Exploration is where the big money is...oh and the Arctic.

A few years from now, cold water exploration will be the main focus of the oil majors (IMO).

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by oghamxx
The argument against the copters seems to be that Assad will use them against domestic 'rebels'. How many of the countries which support the sanctions are on record saying that they would never use combat copters against their own domestic 'rebels'?

Are not US supplied (and often manned) copters used against central and south American rebels and drug operations.

Assad is a real POS, but I'm confident that most world leaders would act the same. If the Americans decided to revolt with the backing of a foreign entity, the current president would do everything within their power to crush the resistance.

Thankfully I'm willing to bet that American troops would not be as eager to shoot on their own people which would mean drones doing most of the dirty work, just like these copters were destined to do.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I just think it's funny how certain nations can pick and choose which other nations are allowed to sell military equipment. They like to slap sanctions on the new bogey man but continue to participate in weapons sales themselves.

Arrogance.
There is a saying about how arrogance at some point falls (and is made low). I think arrogance is always shocked when it happens too.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ScatterBrain

I'm sorry were you calling me arrogant, or were you just calling the practice of hypocrisy arrogant.

I just want to make sure I properly understand your post before I respond.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This is kind of going beyond the topic at hand, but look what i just came across, i am sure other threads are spamming this.

'Iran, Russia, China, Syria plan 'largest' war game'

Iranian media outlets reported on Tuesday that Iran, Russia, China and Syria are to conduct joint military exercises in Syria next month.

Fars admitted that there has as yet been no official announcement confirming the war-games, but cited an unnamed Syrian official had declared that a joint exercise between those four countries would be carried out "soon".

Dont punish me on the credibility of the sources, just interesting discussion starter.

This can contribute to the discussion at hand by outlining the clear divide between who is backing the current Syrian regime and those who back the opposition. We may see other players like China and Russia declining passage through their territory, cancellation of foreign insurance policies or similar things along the line.

China, Russia and Syria starting quite a romance.
edit on 19-6-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I saw that too, Obama has a smug look on his face while Putin doesn't even seem to care as if he's off in lala land day dreaming.

According to this article it was a mutual feeling of awkwardness between the two.

It's hard to tell if President Barack Obama got a sense of Russian President Vladimir Putin's soul. In front of reporters, they hardly looked at each other.

In their first meeting since 2009, Obama and Putin shared little eye contact and did not appear to express much personal warmth following a two-hour meeting on the sidelines of the G20 summit. Putin made brief remarks and then looked down at the table as Obama spoke to reporters, aided by a translator.

www.startribune.com...

Some more footage of the photo-op might shed more light on whether or not this is true.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
hahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhaaaaaaaaaaa

i love britian the way it has an ace card toplay when it needs to...lolol

frigging hilarious....cant fight a war cause there is no insurance hhhhahaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

im peeing myself here

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

This is kind of going beyond the topic at hand, but look what i just came across, i am sure other threads are spamming this.

'Iran, Russia, China, Syria plan 'largest' war game'

Iranian media outlets reported on Tuesday that Iran, Russia, China and Syria are to conduct joint military exercises in Syria next month.

Fars admitted that there has as yet been no official announcement confirming the war-games, but cited an unnamed Syrian official had declared that a joint exercise between those four countries would be carried out "soon".

Dont punish me on the credibility of the sources, just interesting discussion starter.

yeah i heard this...but dont fall for it...the ONLY people that can influence the area are...turkey, egypt and saudi arabia.....they will be the deciding voice in the end....not russia or china or syria.....

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Have to admit, it's a far better result than having to engage the Navy in a potentially risky environment. If only all potential crisis could be solved so easily.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by GrandHeretic
Then there is C) get irrationally hosed and give the POTUS an ultimatum.....
I don't think this scheduled meeting between the 2 was a fore planned event if you get my drift.

Or...

Just impotently sit there with a glazed look on his face...

From AP regarding the meeting...

anyone ever thought that these two countries are playing the middle east.....russia pretending to help, then leaving countries in the lurch, like they did in...afghanistan, egypt, syria, lebanon, kudistan, armenia.... etc etc

maybe hey

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

All jokes aside....

Russia didn't want to be seen as Hypocrites with Russian ships delivering arms to Syria when they themselves have been advocating the complete opposite in public. Meanwhile they tried pull a fast one to send those supplies via a third party so as not be accused of hypocrisy. The whole thing has now blown up in their faces.

Yeah, He's sitting there with that in mind...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DukeEligos
is this the cargo boat that has been stopped?

usually if cargo ships or others are under naval use or taking part in maneuvers i cant find them on ship tracker even if im at the port looking at it they still say its 'out of range'

how many helicopters is there does anyone know?

there cant be many on it if its these type of helicopters....ships not that big

They wouldn't be stored on that or any ship in the form you see them flying around.
Certain sections and components are taken off, thus they can fit more of them.

reply to post by DukeEligos

Interesting Find.

I would argue that even the use of one of those attack helicopters would enable a more thorough and comprehensive destruction of rebel positions.

The Russians aren't selling them these helicopters or anything else so they can attack western backed insurgents which our western media has labeled as rebels and freedom fighters. They are selling them these weapons so they can at least try and defend them selves if the west decides to attack them.

Lets be honest. Syria is a SOVEREIGN country. No matter what it's regime has done, there is no justification for what WE, THE WEST are doing by arming what amounts to terrorists.

Remember the insurgency in Iraq? Iranian and Saudi backed.

Forgotten the ongoing insurgency in Afghanistan? Pakistani backed.

Syria has EVERY RIGHT to attack the insurgents. Most of them aren't even Syrian citizens anyway.

And there are now reports that Russia, China, and Iran are going to hold massive military exercises in Syria in July.
It is reported that 90,000 soldiers will be involved, up to 1,000 tanks and 400 aircraft. Egypt has reportedly given the Chinese the green light to send up to a dozen war ships and submarines through the Suez canal already.
The Russian carrier will be there, so will nuclear submarines.

www.haaretz.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Can you Image your position as a captain on the transport vessel? The indecision from the global community and all the eyes watching your humble ship travelling to a far off nation....I bet he has poured a couple of glasses of whiskey. All because of whats in your cargo hold.

Cuban Missle crisis anyone?
edit on 19-6-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

This is usually not an area that I go in. I must say that all of you on this thread are teaching me about issues I never even had a clue on. From all information I have read so-far- All main power groups depend on out-sourcing to somewhat hide who is really behind whatever is going on! I must say the insurance move was a smart move! Is anyone sending the poor people any Food ,Water or Medical Supplies?? Personally, I think we all need to stay out of the Middle East and just leave them alone.

Basically, Track the Money and see who's doorstep it came from. Who is involved? What agenda does each power hold in the middle east?
edit on 19-6-2012 by Apollo7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Originally posted by oghamxx
The argument against the copters seems to be that Assad will use them against domestic 'rebels'. How many of the countries which support the sanctions are on record saying that they would never use combat copters against their own domestic 'rebels'?

Are not US supplied (and often manned) copters used against central and south American rebels and drug operations.

Assad is a real POS, but I'm confident that most world leaders would act the same. If the Americans decided to revolt with the backing of a foreign entity, the current president would do everything within their power to crush the resistance.

Thankfully I'm willing to bet that American troops would not be as eager to shoot on their own people which would mean drones doing most of the dirty work, just like these copters were destined to do.

Can you prove that the protests in Syria was foreign backed?, by whom? what are the motives? or could it just be that they was Syrians calling for reforms just as they was in every other Middle Eastern country?

I'm glad you are now openly admitting that these Russian helicopters was going to Syria to kill Syrians, because no Syria wants to kill Syrians,

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Khrushchev and his Soviet minions had a brass pair compared to Putin

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by BLV12A

The Russians aren't selling them these helicopters or anything else so they can attack western backed insurgents which our western media has labeled as rebels and freedom fighters. They are selling them these weapons so they can at least try and defend them selves if the west decides to attack them.

Lets be honest. Syria is a SOVEREIGN country. No matter what it's regime has done, there is no justification for what WE, THE WEST are doing by arming what amounts to terrorists.

Remember the insurgency in Iraq? Iranian and Saudi backed.

Forgotten the ongoing insurgency in Afghanistan? Pakistani backed.

Syria has EVERY RIGHT to attack the insurgents. Most of them aren't even Syrian citizens anyway.

Is there a single shred of evidence to suggest the Free Syrian Army are western backed? nope there isn't because they're not,

That is just what Assad has said right?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join