It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain stops Russian ship carrying attack helicopters for Syria

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DukeEligos

That link you provided to maritime ship tracking is fantastic and a great resource. I recommend it to all who wish to inquire about such things.

The helicopter in the picture you posted appears to be a Mil Mi-24, quite a versatile craft. It is heavily armored and would allow it to resist small arms fire from the relatively low tech weapons possed by the regimes opposition. Also it can be varied in weapons platforms allowing for an assortment of araments to be imployed.

The sea will always remain a vital highway for the movement of any equipment. Untill ofcourse we development technology that makes sea travel irrelevant

As i said prior even on of these helicopters would extend the range and overall effectiveness of the regimes campaign
edit on 19-6-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by zeetroyman
DukeEligos, its on marine traffic, im looking at it now. Exactly where it should be:

www.marinetraffic.com...

Scottish NE coast. Im sure my buddies on the rigs will enjoy the excitement.

She is off the NORTH WEST not north east, so no your buddies wont be having fun on the rigs and she is out of UK waters. The UK has NO jurisdiction here with her!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
OK first things first, the MV Alead IS NOT a Russian vessel. The media would love for you all to believe that she is when infact she is NOT.

I work in the marine industry for a company who owns over 300 vessels operating worldwide.

For those of you who don't know, every vessel has a "flag", this flag is the country which the vessel must conform with i.e. the regulations of the US if she was US Flagged and so on.

The MV Alaed is flagged by Netherlands Antilles, a small country in the Caribbean, She is a Netherlands Antilles vessel, not Russian.

At present she is sitting OUT OF BRITISH WATERS to the West of North Rona, about 44 miles from the Outer Hebrides.

This is another PERFECT example of how the media would love for you all to believe that she is Russian. She may be taking things from Russia but she is not Russian.

Location of MV Alaed
Flag of MV Alaed
MV Alaed Details

The last port she was in was Helsingborg in Sweden. If there were issues, she should have been stopped there when she had a Port State Inspection.

This whole thing reeks of PR

You seem very knowlegeable on this subject.
Could you explain to us why cancelling insurance is such a big deal in this instance and would cause a boat to turn around and 'go home' (yes I read your post that it isn't Russian so won't be going 'home', however, aren't most boats registered in offshore havens like Dutch Antilles simply for financial reasons?)
For me, it would seem rather obvious that either Assad or Russia would simply offer insurance if they are serious about the delivery. Am I missing something? It's a genuine question!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

Your twisting of words, personal insults, and derailments of the topic are pathetic to say the least but I will humor you one last time.

I said there were similarities to Afghanistan, in form of foreign backed regime change. You should look up the Project for a New American Century (PNAC) they are doing everything they said they would. You are missing out on the bigger picture my friend. Do your research before you come on here making a fool of yourself.

Also, for you to call the Free Syrian Army "peaceful protesters" is laughable.

Now have a good day.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Just like the US, a precursor to our historic use of gunboat diplomacy.

I doubt the lack of insurance made the ship stop in it's tracks. The delivery will proceed. If the ship were to be attacked in an undeclared war that would IMO constitute a major escalation of the issue and I suspect the attacking country would be ordered to pay compensation by the world court.

Consider also that the ship is carrying government cargo, be it Russian and/or Syrian.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by RogerT3

No its not for financial reasons. They do it because its easier to conform with say Vanuatu than the US, however, only US flagged vessels can operate in US waters (so there are other benefits to being US flagged).

as an example, Panama may have an easier application of its regulations than say the UK, so it would be sensible to flag your vessel under Panama. The problem here is that when the vessel goes into port in say the UK it can be detained by UK authorities for not conforming to UK regulations.

She is not a Russian vessel. i.e. my company is American. We use 3 main flags for our vessels (over 300 vessels). These are US, Vanuatu and Belize. We are an American company but our Vanuatu vessels are NOT AMERICAN.

To say that she is Russian because she was operating out of a port there and is carrying Russian cargo is ridiculous.

This is simply twisting the understanding of those who don't know how it works.

This is MSM BS at its purest...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by RogerT3

Oh and cancelling insurance isn't a big deal really. This happens regularly when vessels "go out of class" i,e, they fail to be inspected when they should (for reasons like working offshore or not being able to get to a port in time for the body to conduct the audit i.e. ABS etc).

The main issue here is that unless she goes into a Russian port, she will be detained by Port State Control. Putting it into the MSM that she is uninsured means every port authority from the UK to Russia will be waiting for her to berth in their port to detain and fine her, thus allowing the shipment to be cancelled/held.

Vessels go out of class (out of insurance) ALL THE TIME
edit on 19/6/12 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
eta: question answered, never mind

edit on 19-6-2012 by RogerT3 because: (no reason given)

So basically, if a boat doesn't have insurance it is detained in port and fined.
Can you get new insurance whilst at sea? Does Russia have any insurance companies?
edit on 19-6-2012 by RogerT3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by RogerT3

See above post!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by TritonTaranis

Your twisting of words, personal insults, and derailments of the topic are pathetic to say the least but I will humor you one last time.

I said there were similarities to Afghanistan, in form of foreign backed regime change. You should look up the Project for a New American Century (PNAC) they are doing everything they said they would. You are missing out on the bigger picture my friend. Do your research before you come on here making a fool of yourself.

Also, for you to call the Free Syrian Army "peaceful protesters" is laughable.

Now have a good day.

Point out where i am twisting words please?

No i'm not missing the bigger picture at all you're the one missing the bigger picture because you have become deeply embroiled in conspiracy's due to being a mentally unstable misfit of society, therefore you have lost touch of reality, i just tend not to get fooled easy by propaganda & conspiracy as easy as you, you're the only one looking a fool here my friend at least to the same people, backing Russia sending in arms into a country in a civil war is idiotic, you can carry right on living in a dream-world for all i care,

I'm not calling the "Free Syrian Army" peaceful they're fighting a civil war so obviously there not.. i'm calling the Protesters who become the "Free Syrian Army" peaceful, but you already new that didn't you maybe thats where the "twisting of words" sneaked into your subcontinents mind?

There are NO similarity's between Afghanistan & Syria other than in your head, feel free to elaborate on how

I'm sorry if i'm coming across to hard on you, but your stupidity irritates me
edit on 19-6-2012 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by zeetroyman

lol...found it eventually

how many helicopters do you think can fit on it?

its (the ship )dimensions 130m x 20m
edit on 19-6-2012 by DukeEligos because: link

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrandHeretic
Then there is C) get irrationally hosed and give the POTUS an ultimatum.....

or D) The ship was a either a decoy/bait/distraction away from the real shipment? Just a thought

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Also, just to clarify. The vessel IS STILL INSURED. She has lost here P&I insurance which covers Cargo.

The vessel itself is still insured in terms of if it sank the cost of the vessel could be recovered but the cargo isn't.

This adds some more ingredients to the mix that this is totally set-up!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

i use it all the time to see whats going on,

if you can find out names of cargo and passenger ships used by the many navy's of the world (not directly navy ships) you can see whats going on in some places...for example when actual navy ships aren't being used and in port e.g search for ..uss Bob hope..they it show up,ships in maneuvers are 'out of range'.

Duke

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Russia was allowed to march into Georgia several years ago, and the lack of any formidible challenge helped to puff up the Russian ego. The US stood down during the assault on Georgia, and now it is Russia's turn to try that humility. 4 years ago, Russia would have benefited from a larger conflict, this time the UN would benefit from a large scale conflict. I don't believe that Russia likes to be embarassed, but if they can put a positive spin on it, they will soften their stance on Syria and stay out of the way.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Thank you for the great insight!

I have a bit of an unrelated question/off topic but is still relevant.

How long do you believe that for, military purposes, the sea be a vital transportation route and in your opinion is control of the sea still as vital for military/commercial intervention as it was back in 1940's.

Please note i realize you may not be an military expert, but i would like to get your viewpoint based on your current and past experiences.

Plus in my experience, a lot of individuals in the United Kingdom have a interesting and deep connection with the sea, both present and historical

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

Thank you for the great insight!

I have a bit of an unrelated question/off topic but is still relevant.

How long do you believe that for, military purposes, the sea be a vital transportation route and in your opinion is control of the sea still as vital for military/commercial intervention as it was back in 1940's.

Please note i realize you may not be an military expert, but i would like to get your viewpoint based on your current and past experiences.

I'm not a military expert at all but i do have a good knowledge of "the sea". The ocean covers 75% of our surface and allows access to nearly every country on the planet. A lot of resources exist under the sea...if anything i would say that control of waterways and inshore water (not deep) is more important now than its ever been!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RogerT3

The ship is insured by a private firm i imagine. It's not British Insurance so to speak.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

im finding the media hard to believe more every day . this kind of event sums up why.

What do think is going to happen with this ship? is it empty? or is it to be sank?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The argument against the copters seems to be that Assad will use them against domestic 'rebels'. How many of the countries which support the sanctions are on record saying that they would never use combat copters against their own domestic 'rebels'?

Are not US supplied (and often manned) copters used against central and south American rebels and drug operations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join