It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain stops Russian ship carrying attack helicopters for Syria

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Europe thinks its next supplies will come mainly from Libya, the nation that was bombed to liberation recently if you recall. Europe feels a little free, but making mistakes in confronting Russia, these confrontations will starve Europe slowly and leave it in cold, then later on USA and Russia will fight over the ruins of Europe again.

Europeans needs to learn from history, powers outside Europe can easily turn this little continent upside down.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

They said that this shipment was a breach of sanctions against Syria but I don't think Russia will be very happy about this. If I recall correctly, Putin and Obama met yesterday so perhaps Putin actually gave the okay on this, no one knows for sure.

I just think it's funny how certain nations can pick and choose which other nations are allowed to sell military equipment. They like to slap sanctions on the new bogey man but continue to participate in weapons sales themselves.

The world of hypocrites never ceases to amaze me.

www.tele graph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-6-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

I believe your 100% dead-on.... Something comes to mind though, and that is that Putin has recently taken office (a big conspiracy discussion in itself, but that beyond Putin and Obama's cold meeting, Putin has got to show the same amount of strength as the 'old Putin' in the world arena. I'm also sure that the new Russia is trying desperately to avoid the financial woes brought on by the US collapse of the ecomomy, thuss he will need to be sort of confrontational with the US. He's well liked by the old school, but the kids are not enthralled by him, and that's to be expected. I see Putin as having to pull a showdown type event with the Western powers to put on a Show and assert his latest powers. We have got to stop playing world police, and start cooperating with the will of the world. Our war base economy is unsustainable, and ultimately think about our open borders and all the cells that could already be in place here at the ready to create chaos with terrorist attacks on the populace.

Were not in as good of a position as we seem to be playing, Obama's clueless, Romney won't be any better, the whole political landscape here is corrupt and no remedy is in sight....... jeezzz, what a mess.

Putin's threats just might be what we need..... by that I mean we could back off just a bit, through His choreographed indignation on the world stage, thus we could regroup in a less aggressive mode, and it would please everyone and 'look' as though it was a prudent idea...... of ours..lol...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Just like the old days when Pravda use to tell the West what the Kremlin was thinking, the Moscow Times is reporting the following:

President Vladimir Putin made clear during talks this week that he does not want Bashar Assad to remain in power in Syria any longer, British Prime Minister David Cameron said Tuesday.

The article goes on to say that there are still differences of opinion on how the transition to a new government should occur. My puppet is better than your puppet?

Cameron was also quoted as saying:

What we need next is an agreement on a transitional leadership that can move Syria to a democratic future that protects the rights of all its communities.

www.themoscowtimes.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by TritonTaranis

simply because its a Sunni - Shiite or Alawite Civil War the same as Libya was Sunni - Shiite

As indeed was Iraq before that before the US decided to stick it's nib in. The problem is that whatever the religious beginnings may be the West and it's opponents capitalise on the opportunity and turn it into something else.

So the Sunni's are working for the west or there own gains?

Use your head for this one

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Don't all of you realize the middle east is collapsing under this fake democracy shroud? Geez, I can't think of one country, who is hated in the middle east, who controls some of the world biggest super powers that would want to subdue Syria. Nope can't think of one.

Step by step they will rule with an iron rod, and the middle east and their enemies will be no more. Thanks to Britain and the great US of A.

Good for Russia. At least their not completely blinded.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Something about Russians, and for that matter most of western Europe, is that Russians think in terms of 'Advavtage' . Their mindset, even in the least of interactions or dealings weather with foreigners or their own close city or countryside neighbors, is one of securing the advantage. Or in agreeing to an advantageous position. It should be noted that that's how their wired, and if you know that, utilize it in your tactics, you can then plan for their 'plan' accordingly.

I lived with, partied with, worked with and basically immersed myself in the culture for around two years, with no contact with other Westerners, and without the luxury of even knowing the lingo. And I was always treated well, something of a curiosity.

Just as a side note: Do You remember what we were told about the 'Dirty Rotten Commie Russians' in the 50's 60's and up until Regan, it would seem they ate their young if they weren't shipped off to Government indoctrination schools and gulags and worse, ..... even worse than Nazi's...... Well they were also told horrid stories of what the Westerners of America were like......Brutal lustful killers, with propaganda filled schools where children were made into zombies, etc, etc,............. there were lots of absurd stories on both sides.. and When we visited and compared notes, we had quite a laugh about all these. You know.... Ice Vodka's not half bad, along with bread, butter and raw bacon......... yup, bacon, the one friend of everyone, yum...

So if the idea is to know what their doing and if it is a threat or benefit, advise your 'think tank' that this is key in their method of thinking and build your probable scenario plots in that manner. They might make 4-5 chess moves to secure the advantage or any part of it. Ours is to guess how they'll do it.
edit on 20-6-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

I also find it quite distasteful that so many people on ATS are so brainwashed with the propaganda matrix of the west that they result to harsh namecalling and the mods keep looking the other way. I guess chiefly left wing extremism is punished and the site has been infiltrated by right wing bloggers...or maybe it was setup that way from the beginning.....aka rothschild tv.

Sometimes I want to quite ATS because it is esentially worse than CNN...which btw is easier to access. ATS is becomming less and less deny ignorance imho...and more and more embrace ignorance!

I have been wondering the same thing. I try not and acknowledge these posters for the most part.

It's frightening to think how many people actually believe some of the things they are typing. They confuse criticism of certain Western practices as sympathy for Russia or ASSad. Even when you catch them in their lie/misinformation they refuse to admit that both sides are partially in the wrong.

My question to these members is, where do they find this moral high ground for the US/West to stand on. They clearly are misguided in their judgements.

As for the mods allowing the name calling to happen, I'm used to it by now as It's been going on since I've been a member. I've come to accept the double standar that accompanies certain thread topics.
edit on 20-6-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

The USA continues to sell weapons to ruthless dictatorships such as Saudi Arabia and Israel yet we don't hear a peep, Russia sells Syria some hardware and the shipment gets stopped. I hope I'm not the only one who sees the irony in this.

In fact the Americans even funded and armed the Taliban during the Russian/Afghan war...things that make you go hmmmmmmm?

Israel, has the capability to build their own weapons. Very fine ones at that. You know the UZI, Desert Eagle, and Baby Desert Eagle are fine weapons indeed

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AlonzoTyper

Israel, has the capability to build their own weapons.

Oh, you mean like the cluster bombs they dropped on Lebanon and Palestine? Or perhaps like their fighter jets? I bet those were all Israeli manufactured right

Who gives Israel's Military Billions of dollars in aid to help with the manufacturing of domestic Israeli weaponry? Riddle me that please.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
This is a dangerous game. In-direct confrontation and conflict through relatively benign mediums, in this case a ship insurer. I would consider this a “punch” to the body for Russia and fear what kind of retaliation in kind we can expect, perhaps something more drastic, or in other words, a retaliatory “upper-cut” or dreaded “haymaker” to push the west out of its way.

Will Russia explore similar means to effectively halt or disrupt Western intervention??
edit on 19-6-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

Or they could bring back the WWF "Sleeper Hold", take that you pencilneckgeeks!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
I don't care where the ship is flagged, if it's Russian owned it's a Russian boat.
Is it fair to call it a Liberian ship?

I'm sure there is a licensing and identification process based on the international maritime laws for any ship to sail the seas and/or during/after ownership of a ship/boat/vessel. Its like someone buys a car from you but forgets to change the license plates but upon verification of the license plates, it will still show the original owner until you have changed the registration to your name. However such is not the case here. The vessel captain obliged and obeyed the blockage. Definitely a russian ship.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shminkee Pinkee
reply to post by RogerT3

I'd imagine any company could insure the ship, it just so happened that this particular one was insured by a UK company, It makes it difficult for a ship to dock if it's un-insured.

Watch for this sector to take off soon
in different countries ofcourse as the ones to learn from this 'oops' will attempt to form their own insurance companies for maritime vessels to avoid such 'oops'
Moreoever if a conflict does start in the region, there are more chances of commercial shipping lanes and vessels become victims of the conflict. The maritime insurance companies are definitely looking to jackup the premiums and/or losses if that happens

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Funny how everybody notices this single boat with some used helocopters.

And yet nobody notices that Russia, China, Iran, and Syria are planning joint war games in Syria.

Partly denied after the original reports, and partly not denied.

Hmmm,.. methinks those copters are not the whole picture.
edit on 20-6-2012 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by smirkley

The games appeared to never have been scheduled:

Russia, Syria deny war games with China, Iran

Russian and Syrian officials dismissed as provocation on Tuesday Iranian media reports that Iran, Russia, China and Syria are to conduct joint military exercises in Syria next month.

But this could all be a diversion or smear campaign by this media outlet, who knows.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

reply to post by smirkley

The games appeared to never have been scheduled:

Russia, Syria deny war games with China, Iran

Russian and Syrian officials dismissed as provocation on Tuesday Iranian media reports that Iran, Russia, China and Syria are to conduct joint military exercises in Syria next month.

But this could all be a diversion or smear campaign by this media outlet, who knows.

Saw that days ago,..

Syria, currently using milary government to repress the The Free Syrian Army from expanding, and doesnt allow outside international reporters inside. No, I dont believe them since they killed off in ambush the leader of FSA. Of course they deny.

Russia, just got cought with their pants down with this ship, of course they deny.

China, to big to fail. They dont need to deny to anybody.

Iran, who started the suggestion of the war games, of course they wont deny, why would tghey.

But the fact of the matter is Syria's current government is in trouble. The killing of the FSA leader has invoked the masses, and some outside help is despretly needed to cause correct this little problem. Especially since that would make russia's little base a bit exposed.
edit on 20-6-2012 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpmail
NIce to see its ok for Germany, France and british goverments to supply the rebels with money and weapons but the legitamate goverment of the country can't get supplies from there allies.

Do you have any evidence for this? any links you can provide "credible links" ?

Second

edit on 20-6-2012 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

reply to post by AlonzoTyper

Israel, has the capability to build their own weapons.

Oh, you mean like the cluster bombs they dropped on Lebanon and Palestine? Or perhaps like their fighter jets? I bet those were all Israeli manufactured right

Who gives Israel's Military Billions of dollars in aid to help with the manufacturing of domestic Israeli weaponry? Riddle me that please.

Are you under the impression the US fund EVERYTHING in Israel, you would be wrong

The Israelis are world leaders in some areas of defence, they invented UAV's for a start, heres some more

Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI) proudly presented its new 120/121mm smart mortar bomb, commonly referred to as "FireBall", with pinpoint accuracy guided by GPS and laser-homing modes for a single-shot target kill in urban warfare.

Eye Ball R1" -- a high-tech camera packaged into a hand-held impervious ball, which can be thrown into any building, tunnel or cave to enable remote observation from relative safety.

IAI, the company's stand devoted to drones, gliders and micro UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) was a major attraction at the fair, which closed Wednesday, pulling in military delegates from more than 30 countries. Secretive, silent and deadly accurate for the real-time data they can transmit via video-link, such weapons have been employed to devastating effect by the Israeli military in targeted assassinations of militant leaders. Today the Mosquito is one of the smallest of these UAV systems, measuring 30 centimetres (12 inches) and 34 centimetres (14 inches) wide

Uzi Submachine gun - invented by Uzi Gal. The development was completed in 1955

Gabriel - a sea-skimming anti-ship missile.

Arrow - a family of operational anti-ballistic missiles.

Protector USV ia an unmanned surface vehicle, developed by the Rafael Advanced Defense Systems

Python - a family of air-to-air missiles (AAMs) built by the Israeli weapons manufacturer Rafael Advanced Defense Systems.[

Unmanned aerial vehicles - an aircraft that flies without a human crew on board the aircraft. Their largest uses are in military applications. Developed by Israel Aircraft Industries.

Nautilus laser system - a laser developed for military use

Iron Dome - a mobile air defense system in development by Rafael Advanced Defense Systems designed to intercept short-range rockets and artillery shells. On April 7, 2011

Barak 1 - a surface-to-air missile designed to be used as a point-defense missile system on warships, defending against aircraft, anti-ship missiles, and UAVs

MUSIC (Multi Spectral Infrared Countermeasure) - a system that counter surface-to-air heat-seeking missiles. It is manufactured by Elbit Systems.

MagnoShocker - combines a metal detector and a taser which could be used to neutralized immediately a dangerous person. It was developed by the mathematician Amit Weissman and his colleagues Adir Kahn and Zvi Jordan.

Reconnaissance satellite TecSAR - developed and built by Israel Aerospace Industries.

Tavor TAR-21 assault rifle - a modern assault rifle designed with the aim to be used as the IDF's standard assault rifle. The rifle was the developed by "Magen", the small arms division of the Israel Military Industries (IMI). The development of Tavor was completed in 2001. In 2005 Magen was sold to the Israeli company Israel Weapon Industries (IWI) which continues to develop and produce the rifle. The MTAR-21 (Micro Tavor) was recently selected as the future assault rifle of the Israeli Defense Forces, and within the next few years it will become the standard Israeli infantry weapon.

Technion Satellite - launched into space in July 1998, it is one of the smallest satellites in the world. Cube-shaped satellite which has 45 centimeter-long sides and weighs 48 kilograms and has an extremely low power consumption. The Technion satellite began as a student project of the Faculty of Aerospace Engineering, supervised by Haim Eshed and initiated by Giora Shaviv, former head of the Asher Space Research Institute (ASRI) at the Technion.

Wall radar - a unique radar which utilizes Ultra Wide Band (UWB) to allows users to see through walls. Developed by the Israeli company Camro

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

Are you under the impression the US fund EVERYTHING in Israel, you would be wrong

I never said that, stop derailing and get back on topic...troll.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Firstly, way to go British insurers. Was there as young pilot? (They're pretty harsh with young drivers!).

Very interesting thread and it certainly seems that when the Arab Spring took place, many of the western countries then spent months playing catch up - as events moved so quickly.

As for this incidence, it was a set up - to ensure that the cargo never made it to Syria. In my opinion both the US and Russia were involved (as well as the British). During this whole civil war (or proxy war if you believe this), there is also the question of Weapons of Mass Destruction". in Syria, what happens if they get hit in the crossfire.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Small arms:
Jericho 941 Semi-Automatic Pistol
IMI Uzi Submachine Gun
IMI Micro Tavor MTAR-21 Submachine Gun and Bullpup Assault Rifle
IMI Tavor TAR-21 Assault Rifle
IMI Galil Assault Rifle
IMI Micro Galil Assault Rifle
IMI Negev Light Machine Gun
IMI Galatz Sniper Rifle
M26A2 Fragmentation Grenade
IDF M48 Stun grenade

Rocket and Grenade launchers:
B-300 Shoulder-launched Rocket
Shipon Shoulder-launched Rocket
MATADOR Shoulder-launched Rocket

Missiles:
Spike Anti-Tank Missile
LAHAT Anti-Tank Missile
MAPATS Anti-Tank Missile
Nimrod Long-range anti-tank missile

Vehicles:
Merkava Mark IV Main Battle Tank
Merkava Mark III Main Battle Tank
Merkava Mark II Main Battle Tank
Merkava Mark I Main Battle Tank
Magach 7 Tank
Magach 6 Tank
Magach 5 Tank
IDF Achzarit Heavy Armored Personnel Carrier
Nagmachon Heavy Armored Personnel Carrier
Nakpadon Heavy Armored Personnel Carrier
Namer Heavy Infantry Fighting Vehicle
Wolf Armored Vehicle
Puma Heavy Combat Engineering Vehicle

.......You know what, I'm tired of copy/pasting. See for yourself.
And this just covers non-classified.

Regarding the jet fighters you've mentioned, the F16 and F15 have been modified into F16i, F15i by the Israeli Military Industries which means they are somehow improved but I lack the specific knowledge.

As for imported weapons, tell me one army that doesn't. Am I supposed to believe all of our neighboring Muslim countries manufacture their own weapons? Most of their arsenal is soviet-era weaponry and some modern Russian.
But yeah okay Israel bombs Palestinians and all.. You've made your point across.

Lastly - the aid money comes in the forms of existing imported weapons. The IMI is perhaps funded by foreign "investors" (Not that I know of) but that has no relevance to the military aid.
edit on 20-6-2012 by IsraeliGuy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join