It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain stops Russian ship carrying attack helicopters for Syria

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Britain stops Russian ship carrying attack helicopters for Syria

www.tele graph.co.uk

A Russian ship believed to be carrying helicopters and missiles for Syria has been effectively stopped in its tracks off the coast of Scotland after its insurance was cancelled at the behest of the British government.

The British marine insurer Standard Club said it had withdrawn cover from all the ships owned by Femco, a Russian cargo line, including the MV Alaed.

"We were made aware of the allegations that the Alaed was carrying munitions destined for Syria," the company said in a statement. "We have already informed the ship owner that their insurance cover ceased automatically in
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
BREAKING: US enlists Britain's help to stop ship 'carrying Russian attack helicopters' to Syria

+25 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
They said that this shipment was a breach of sanctions against Syria but I don't think Russia will be very happy about this. If I recall correctly, Putin and Obama met yesterday so perhaps Putin actually gave the okay on this, no one knows for sure.

I just think it's funny how certain nations can pick and choose which other nations are allowed to sell military equipment. They like to slap sanctions on the new bogey man but continue to participate in weapons sales themselves.

The world of hypocrites never ceases to amaze me.

www.tele graph.co.uk
edit on 19-6-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
What if Putin didnt know? And Obama isnt president of Brittain, what say does he have over what the UK does commerically? Ultimatly Putin does know, and he's either A) understanding and allowing it to happen as is, or B) is gonna lay some smooze on the POTUS to see if he can get the UN to back off.

Then there is C) get irrationally hosed and give the POTUS an ultimatum.....

I don't think this scheduled meeting between the 2 was a fore planned event if you get my drift.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandHeretic

You are correct, Obama isn't Britain, but Obama asked Britain to do this as there was a thread about it yesterday so I believe American influence may have had something to do with this.

I'm guessing that perhaps Putin held his ground and didn't budge on Obama's requests about Syria which may have been the final straw to cause this shipment to be stopped. I have no proof of this, just some brainstorming on my behalf.

With the Russian Warships being sent to Syria, and now this, it certainly gets a bit more interesting:

Russia 'sending warships to Syria'

I believe there were several threads on the Russian ships being sent to Syria.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

They said that this shipment was a breach of sanctions against Syria but I don't think Russia will be very happy about this.]

I'm sure the British are shaking in there boots with fear, well done guys probably saved many lifes intercepting this shipment, give the good news to the people of Syria

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This is a dangerous game. In-direct confrontation and conflict through relatively benign mediums, in this case a ship insurer. I would consider this a “punch” to the body for Russia and fear what kind of retaliation in kind we can expect, perhaps something more drastic, or in other words, a retaliatory “upper-cut” or dreaded “haymaker” to push the west out of its way.

Will Russia explore similar means to effectively halt or disrupt Western intervention??
edit on 19-6-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TritonTaranis

They said that this shipment was a breach of sanctions against Syria but I don't think Russia will be very happy about this.]

I'm sure the British are shaking in there boots with fear, well done guys probably saved many lifes intercepting this shipment, give the good news to the people of Syria

Well, I got your sarcasm

Syria was just fine until this foreign backed "revolution" began. Realistically it's very similar to what we saw in Libya, Afghanistan, and Iraq.

The Syrian rebels are the real terrorists, and please don't confuse that statement as sympathy for Assad because he is also a tyrant. It's just the whole game of regime change that's been going on in the Middle East over the last decade is getting a bit too obvious if you ask me. It's the same story over and over again.

The USA continues to sell weapons to ruthless dictatorships such as Saudi Arabia and Israel yet we don't hear a peep, Russia sells Syria some hardware and the shipment gets stopped. I hope I'm not the only one who sees the irony in this.

In fact the Americans even funded and armed the Taliban during the Russian/Afghan war...things that make you go hmmmmmmm?

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

They said that this shipment was a breach of sanctions against Syria but I don't think Russia will be very happy about this. If I recall correctly, Putin and Obama met yesterday so perhaps Putin actually gave the okay on this, no one knows for sure.

I just think it's funny how certain nations can pick and choose which other nations are allowed to sell military equipment. They like to slap sanctions on the new bogey man but continue to participate in weapons sales themselves.

The world of hypocrites never ceases to amaze me.

www.tele graph.co.uk
edit on 19-6-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

Its a Civil war, not a war on Russia's allie, big difference, the US/West sells arms to allies sure but i does not sell its allies weapons to kill its own people in the midsts of a Revolution turned bloody civil war, it asks them to step down and allow for a peaceful transition of power and that a government respects the wishes of its people

President Obama at the White House Wednesday, went further than either the administration or Sen. John Kerry (D-MA), who have called for Mubarak not to run again for president but have stopped short of calling for him to relinquish power at this time.

thecable.foreignpolicy.com...

So please stop talking rubbish, you're obviously confused as to the situation in Syria, and obviously quite upset these helicopters wont be killing Syrians any time soon, personally i don't see how anybody could be upset arms didnit make it into a warzone where these weapons would be used to kill CIVILIANS, you truely must be a stupid brainwashed gullible fool

edit on 19-6-2012 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Putin, Obama and Cameron are in Mexico right now, for the G20 summit.

I guess they can discuss the situation face to face there, and come to a solution...

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

Its a Civil war, not a war on Russia's allie, big difference, the US/West sells arms to allies sure but i does not sell its allies weapons to kill its own people in the midsts of a Revolution turned bloody civil war, it asks them to step down and allow for a peaceful transition of power and that a government respects the wishes of its people

It's not really a civil war, it's more of a foreign backed plan for regime change. The US/West supplies arms to the rebels knowing damn well that it will cost civilian blood, not just in Syria either. The West doesn't give a damn about the civilians in Syria, and you are a confused individual if you doubt me.

So please stop talking rubbish, you're obviously confused as to the situation in Syria, and obviously quite upset these helicopters wont be killing Syrians any time soon, personally i don't see how anybody could be upset arms didnit make it into a warzone where these weapons would be used to kill CIVILIANS, you truely must be a stupid brainwashed gullible fool

I'm quite aware of the situation in Syria, I have shown much more logic so far than you. For you to twist my words around and claim I'm upset these weapons won't be used to kill civilians just shows your lack of good taste.

And thank you for the kind words

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It has been announced prior that any weapons shipments to Syria would be halted. I do not see what the big deal is over this? Russia was warned, and yet they pushed the envelope. I want the major players to stay out of Syria. That goes for the EU, Russia, China, or any nation for that matter. Let them fight amongst themselves. That does not mean sending arms to either side to give a leg-up to whomever is a favorite for a particular nation.

I don't want to see the mess in Syria escalate and spill over the borders into other countries. I have no problem with this ship being stopped. As I have said before, stay the heck out of Syria. Let Assad and the rebels sort it out. If the big countries want to blow off steam and huff and puff? Do it at the UN and not in Syria with the likes of the Syrian rebels and Bashir Assad. Sooner or later, the carnage and destruction will be more than either side can bear and a someone will capitulate. Let the Syrians decide that on their own.
edit on 19-6-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
is this the cargo boat that has been stopped?

usually if cargo ships or others are under naval use or taking part in maneuvers i cant find them on ship tracker even if im at the port looking at it they still say its 'out of range'

how many helicopters is there does anyone know?

there cant be many on it if its these type of helicopters....ships not that big

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DukeEligos

Interesting Find.

I would argue that even the use of one of those attack helicopters would enable a more thorough and comprehensive destruction of rebel positions.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

sorry, I don't get it.
So the UK won't insure a russion boat, so what.
Why does a Russian boat carrying cargo that has obvious Russian Govt. involvement need British insurance? In case the US decides to sink it so the Putin can claim a few hundred grand from Lloyds?
Can't Russia insure their own boats?
I think I am missing something here, is there international maritime law that says a boat can't sail past Scotland if it doesn't have UK insurance?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I didn't think they'd be able to stop the ship in time from reaching it's destination but it looks like they have. According to the Breaking News website the ship is now on it's way back to Russia.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Yeah of course the CIA brainwashed the entire middle east to revolt against its leaders that they was ole so very happy with for oppressing them, i also like to punch people that are kind to me
makes perfect sense right?

I wonder how much it would cost to pay many millions of Middle Easterners to protest on the streets and not be discovered, or are they using mind control? absolutely ridiculous claims

Syria was just fine until this foreign backed "revolution" began.

So was Tunisia, Egypt, Bahrain, etc etc, but thankfully we didn't have a # head of a leader that was in office in those country's, and an allie equally as pathetic to send in arms to keep them in power, Russia should have asked him to step down along with Iran just like the West did to the country's they have close relations with, funny enough all the country's all those country's are not locked in a bloody civil war because a peaceful transition of power was allowed and backed,

Imagine if the West decided they would send arms into Tunisia, & Egypt /other for there governments to fight there own people to stay in power all for there own gains?

You can't get any more idiotic than than i'm afraid, Russia & Iran are to blame for the current situation in Syria because they asked Assad to not step down and decided to give him the means to kill his own people,

The USA continues to sell weapons to ruthless dictatorships such as Saudi Arabia and Israel yet we don't hear a peep, Russia sells Syria some hardware and the shipment gets stopped. I hope I'm not the only one who sees the irony in this.

So you think it is right to send arms into a country in the midst of a year long bloody civil war? and your clearly having a sulk that these weapons didn't make it into the war zone, omg wake up please,

In fact the Americans even funded and armed the Taliban during the Russian/Afghan war...things that make you go hmmmmmmm?

What don't you get?, you cannot relate these two issue they're NOT the SAME,

There was no revolution in Afghanistan,

There was no Civil war in Afghanistan

The people of Afghanistan was not fighting its own goivernemnt

It was a war, Syria is not a war with another country, it is a war within its own boarders that has come about due to Assad deciding he will not listen to his peoples calls for change & reforms, he will instead fight his own people to remain in office, Russia decided for its own gain they would provide Assad the means to Kill those people, and thats what you back

So how is it AT ALL like Afghanistan? are you backwards or something?

The Syrian rebels are the real terrorists

They sure do look like terrorist don't they,

You mean the peaceful protesters who are now being force to fight for there life's against Assad with Russian arms?

Funny how they was never called Terrorists in any other Middle Eastern country's that had revolution, they all seem to be enjoying new reforms & a new government that listens to them and serves them instead of one that oppresses them and kills them for asking for change

edit on 19-6-2012 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

very true any weapon is designed to kill

it took a min but i found some stats on the ship in question

Duke

still no idea how many helicopters tho ..

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I think its pretty obvious that Obama and Putin came to a face saving ageement.
The insurance thing is just a face saving arrangement so the navy didnt have to arrest the boat....Putin looks ike hes supporting assad, and the arm doesnt get the choppers to kill civvys with.
If thats a current picture, that boat is not carrying much of anything at all.........

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
OK first things first, the MV Alead IS NOT a Russian vessel. The media would love for you all to believe that she is when infact she is NOT.

I work in the marine industry for a company who owns over 300 vessels operating worldwide.

For those of you who don't know, every vessel has a "flag", this flag is the country which the vessel must conform with i.e. the regulations of the US if she was US Flagged and so on.

The MV Alaed is flagged by Curacao, a small country in the Caribbean, she is a Curacao vessel, not Russian.

At present she is sitting OUT OF BRITISH WATERS to the West of North Rona, about 44 miles from the Outer Hebrides.

This is another PERFECT example of how the media would love for you all to believe that she is Russian. She may be taking things from Russia but she is not Russian.

Location of MV Alaed
Flag of MV Alaed
MV Alaed Details
Search For Mv Alaed Inspections

You can search for her most recent inspections via the Paris MOU site. She had an inspection in March, there has been no other inspections since.

The last port she was in was Helsingborg in Sweden. If there were issues, she should have been stopped there, and a Port State Inspection carried out..

This whole thing reeks of PR
edit on 19/6/12 by jrmcleod because: Adding extra links

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
DukeEligos, its on marine traffic, im looking at it now. Exactly where it should be:

www.marinetraffic.com...

Scottish NE coast. Im sure my buddies on the rigs will enjoy the excitement.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join