It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to Unveil Several Home-Made Destroyers, Missile Frigates Soon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iran will soon unveil 10 types of home-made naval vessels, including different classes of destroyers and missile-launching frigates, a senior Iranian Navy commander announced on Tuesday.

Speaking to FNA on Tuesday, Lieutenant Commander of the Navy for Technical Affairs Rear Admiral Abbas Zamini reminded that the designing and building of Jamaran destroyer, a Mowdge 1 Class vessel, showed Iran's high technical know-how and capabilities in manufacturing battleships, and added that the country is already manufacturing a second generation of the hi-tech vessel.

The construction phase of Velayat destroyer, a Mowdge 2 Class vessel, is 70% through, he said, and added that the vessel is under construction in Iran's Northern port city of Bandar Anzali.

The admiral declared that Velayat will be launched this Iranian year (ends on March 2013).

Iran to Unveil Several Home Made Destroyers, Missle Frigates Soon

Although these are not all completed yet, I'm sure they will be one of the first targets that will be struck by the West. Seems like Iran is trying to show some more miltary power in releasing this information. I don't think it will matter, but at least they are giving these ships a shot. They also say they are going to start to mass produce anti armor weapons.

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi announced on Tuesday that his ministry plans to start mass-production of new anti-armor weapon systems in the near future.

Addressing a ceremony to mark the martyrdom anniversary of Iran's Former Defense Minister Mostafa Chamran (1981), Vahidi said that Iran has named its new anti-armor weapon as 'Dehlavieh', the name of the place where Dr. Chamran was martyred.

"God-willing, the mass-production line of the new (anti-armor) system will be inaugurated in the new future," Vahidi said, declining to provide details of the new system.

Last August, the Iranian Defense Ministry started mass-production of 73-mm anti-armor rockets capable of piercing and destroying armored vehicles from a 1,300-meter distance.

Anti Armor

edit on 6/19/2012 by SUICIDEHK45 because: add stuff

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Considering the massive sanctions coming down the pipe...perhaps they are made of a super absorbant falafel and duck tape?

honestly the only thing they could possibly harm with these boats might be their own people but thats about it.

If they produce anything of real prowess, then they got it from Russia and put it together via Sony stereo instructions and a #2 phillips head screw driver.
edit on 19-6-2012 by GrandHeretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
even if the Iranian navy's new additions are built from mud and metal shavings they are adding to a sizable LIST of borrowed and bought boats n subs already.

not sure how authentic or in date the list is but ...meh...missiles and guns still kill people even if fired from canoes .

DUKE
edit on 19-6-2012 by DukeEligos because: duke

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Construction material: corrugated iron
Propulsion: DOHCamel drive
Fuel type: mint tea
Armament: 6 guys with AK-47's

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I hope they are worth as much of a laugh as their 'stealth' flying boats were.

Flying boat thread

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
How does a sanctioned trade country get all the raw materials to build warships?
Now there's the real story.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Its highly likely Russia will have given them the technology to build some semi modern Frigates & Destroyers but it is highly unlikely they will pose any threat at all to the US/NATO

Heres the standard they need to out class

No pressure Iran

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Under the table trading. Iran Air recently bought 3 747s out of storage. They were bought by a country in Africa, who is allowed to trade with Iran, who then turned around and sold them to Iran.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx
Construction material: corrugated iron
Propulsion: DOHCamel drive
Fuel type: mint tea
Armament: 6 guys with AK-47's

i looked it up on internet (wiki) here is a description

Type: frigate
Displacement: 1,420 tonnes [1]
Length: 94.5 m (310.0 ft) [1]
Beam: 11.1 m (36.4 ft) [1]
Draft: 3.25 m (10.7 ft) [1]
Propulsion: 2 x 10,000 hp engines
4 x 550 kW diesel generators[2]
Speed: 30 knots (55.6 km/h) [2]
Complement: 120-140
Armament:
4 x C-802 (or maybe improved C-803) anti-ship missiles
1 x 76 mm Fajr-27 naval gun
1 x 40 mm Fath-40 AAA
2 x 20 mm cannons
4 x SM-1 SAM
2 x triple 324 mm torpedoes
Aircraft carried: 1 x Bell 214 ASW helicopter

duke

edit on 19-6-2012 by DukeEligos because: link

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Some of you have absolutely no idea!

In the past 3 decades the US has been transferring the electronic tech side of it's defense systems to China amongst others. This was stupid in the extreme as they are now discovering.

Iran has been under weapons sanctions for all this time. There techs and engineers have had the best education that China and Russia could provide. They are not infected with Capitalism resulting in weapons that are much more inexpensive to produce.

Dont tell me that China has not provided electronic boards under the radar. The rest they can manufacture with a workforce that is extremely dedicated, unlike the West. The West has no idea what weapons Iran has produced, they are very good at keeping US intelligence agents out of their backyard.

Remember that low tech solutions worked well in Vietnam, defeating a Super Power. Ditto for Afghanistan except they defeated two super powers.!

Iran captured one of the most advanced Drones in the US arsenal, mainly intact.

Some of you are dreaming, careful it doesn't become your worst nightmare.

This is not a military that hates it's leaders, it is a military defending it's own country and it's millennium old culture in some of the mountainous territory to rival Afghanistan AND they have had decades to prepare.

As I read between the lines of the OPs story I can only laugh at the material. Commencing anti armor tech, hardly! This is for Western consumption. They have this Tech level and I would guess they have a lot of them.

Lastly, it is one thing to take a city, quite another to hold it. Just look at what Iraq has done with no planning and preparations. Iran has had decades to plan and planning for such an event could have devastating consequences for an invading force.

All you have to read is the greatest military mind of all time, and yea, he was Chinese. The Persians are just as good at asymmetrical warfare, something the US may discover at great cost. Occupying an Iran city could cost thousands of US serviceman their lives on a daily basis. Hell, I could plan such an operation myself!

P

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I am sure the people of Iran are being counted upon for the addition of support for regime change in Iran.....The allies, of the west have an overblown opinion of the Irani opposition parties.
Sould they invade Iran, the opposition party people will immediately support the regime.......not the Allies

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
We will be destroyed by the DIY navy the terrorist state of israel cries!!

Let it happen I say.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

In the past 3 decades the US has been transferring the electronic tech side of it's defense systems to China amongst others.

This would lead someone to think you might know something.
I'm pretty sure you do not, unless you'd care to show some proof.

Remember that low tech solutions worked well in Vietnam, defeating a Super Power. Ditto for Afghanistan except they defeated two super powers.!

Just 2? and you started off trying to sound so....inside.

Unless you are using some SunTzu Kung Fu on us all??
Don't worry

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
How does a sanctioned trade country get all the raw materials to build warships?
Now there's the real story.

Well prolly a big IOU down the road. People who are selling materials and/or equipment to Iran knows this too. Common now. Jack em up with all the goodies, let the opposition or enemy destroy most of it and then collect the money down the road using one sided economic trade(s)/contracts and/or collect it from the newly established Government
Its the same game that we've seen it before one too many times. Russia and China both have economic and strategic interest(s) in Iran so why waste the opportunity
Thats what I think.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TritonTaranis
Its highly likely Russia will have given them the technology to build some semi modern Frigates & Destroyers but it is highly unlikely they will pose any threat at all to the US/NATO

Heres the standard they need to out class

No pressure Iran

Type45 destroyers, which are only now coming into service, and still have certain armament issues, are not the standard for NATO.

Most of NATO does not have destroyers of that caliber, let alone destroyers to begin with.
Take a look at NATO's operations in the Gulf of Aden if you want to see what NATO's standard is..

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I remember reading how these new destroyers could track thousands of targets. Good stuff! Now, how many targets can they take out simultaneously. Any warship can be overwhelmed, it just depends on how many missiles you need to fire as once. I think the biggest problem will be to know how the home grown Iranian missiles work.

It is very difficult to use electronic warfare on a missile if the weapon achieves final weapons lock via an image as apposed to radar or IR.

The more technological an opponent the easier it is to defeat them via asymmetrical warfare.

P

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

The construction phase of Velayat destroyer, a Mowdge 2 Class vessel, is 70% through, he said, and added that the vessel is under construction in Iran's Northern port city of Bandar Anzali.

Well it sounds like the Caspian Sea will be well protected.

new topics

top topics

join