It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News Earthquake in Vic Australia

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Felt a gentle rocking just north of Medonga in the bush, bit of a wobble down south too. Put a heck of a crack outback, tell you that much for free.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics

Here's a map of the after shock zone (HUGE);

This was felt in a much wider area than that. From Ballarat to Wodonga all the way to Lakes Entrance as reported by my friends and family. And yet some people close to the epicentre didn't feel it....
That would make it close to double the size pictured above..... (HUGER than that)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wewillrise77

That's what I thought as well because I also have friends and family in the Lakes Entrance region (Bairnsdale, Lakes etc.) who all felt it strongly.

Just thought I'd post what I could find

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
is that the fault that caused nz and tassie to separate from the main land if so is our country about to split?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

whers the crack, and i dont mean Cocaine Importation Agency CIA NA SERIOUSLY where is the crack

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BULLETINYOURHEAD
is that the fault that caused nz and tassie to separate from the main land if so is our country about to split?

Tasmania sits on the Australian continental shelf, its only separated from us by water.
NZ sits on a different shelf to the Australian continent.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

Australia and New Zealand sit on the same continental shelf. New Zealand sits on the edge of this shelf where it meets the Pacific Plate, hence why New Zealand was created in the first place as the side effect of both these plates crashing into each other.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I am not one that knows a lot about quakes.
Canberra early Sunday morning, around 545 am. I was woken up by what I thought was the sound of a large aircraft going across our skies, laying in bed listening to it, I though it was taking a loooong time to cross. Then we get the quake. Apparently 2.7. All day my hubby and I waited for it to be reported. Nothing. We thought we must have been mistaken and it was something else. Monday morning driving to work there is this big brewhaha going on about how most of the North side of Canberra registered this quake, but nothing was reported. The PTB finally did report it. Now again I dont know much about quakes, but in trying to find out about Canberra's quake on Sunday, we found out that there was one in the Philippines as well. Now with this all going on can the Canberra, Philippines and Vic quake be related?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by BULLETINYOURHEAD
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

whers the crack, and i dont mean Cocaine Importation Agency CIA NA SERIOUSLY where is the crack

I was thinking the same thing a fw years ago. In doing some research, we have a load of little seismic cracks / lines running through our little country. I am just looking for a link for you now.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
www.smh.com.au...

This isnt the best one. Still looking for the one I saw that had loads more detail.

Nope cant find it. But the map above is still a good indication.
edit on 19-6-2012 by The_Seeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I live 29kms from the epicentre. It was a fun. I was watching Die Hard with 3 others.

It started as a small vibration under my feet, I thought it was a truck coming down the hill. Then the seat my daughter & I were sitting on started moving. The movement built up and up. I thought, " That's no truck" By this time my housemates were asking that's going on. I said. "Yup. It's an Earthquake" the Rumble was pretty intense & there was a bit of a bump, then the shaking got really serious, Our wallunit was swaying pretty hard but as we are relocating next week, there was nothing on it to fall over. I was starting to wonder when it was going to stop, because its the longest Earthquake I've experienced, & this was much stronger than the one I felt in 19 Mar 2009, when I was living in Neerim North. There was another much more solid thump & the shaking started to subside but When we heard the creaking from the roof, we grabbed the babies & went outside. Where we could hear a dozen car alarms going off & dogs barking madly. It lasted about 30 to 45 seconds. Everyone in our complex felt it, but I know of people who live in Morwell, closer to the epicentre, who only felt it slightly!! I don't know how!!!

The 2yr old unit we live in has small cracks in the garage & back verandah concrete, & our bathroom cornise has a crack. It was a wild ride.

Interestingly the wallunit was swaying north to south & the seat I was sitting on was moving east to west. But the while thing was like sitting on a roller coaster & I kept thinking about all the relo's in Christchurch.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

edit on 20-6-2012 by WhoTehCapFit because: oops

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Yesterday the eartquakes ranging 5.0 all fell on or around the time 20:00-22:30 with some 2.5's in other areas. The Earthquakes followed a stretch of faults going from New Zealand all the way through Asia and Europe and all the way through Japan and Alaska. So yesterdays Earthquakes happened as a global event shift because it involved all or most faults at the same or close to similar time and large zone or area! Where as today there are tons of 2.5 throughout separate regions within these fault regions in Europe now adjusting. I'm not sure how good fault movement that reaches around the globe is good or not? So it draws much concern from my point of view. possible an up coming big shift in the near future?!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
If your house shook, I would strongly suggest checking for gas leaks along your gas pipe fittings. If there's enough movement, it can sometimes cause some small leaks around the fittings.

Use some soap and water in a spray bottle and spray around the joints of your pipes. Any bubbling is an indication of a gas leak. Call your utility company or tighten the fitting and check it again with soap and water.

It happened to our house some years ago, better safe than sorry.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
When I felt the Korrumburra Earthquakes in 2009, I searched for a bit more information, because I knew we should have been relatively safe from Strong Quakes. For those interested this site appears to have some great information & is easy to Navigate.

home.iprimus.com.au...

Please note the map shows a couple of little lines ( A sideways "V" ) Just under Hazelwood East of Melbourne, on the right hand side of the map. This is the area that has become quite active near Korrumburra & is believed to be responsible for the recent 5.4 according to Geoscience Australia, where this site gets a lot of its information.

Geoscience Australia is located here. www.ga.gov.au...

Have a great day.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join