It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Hypnosis At Private School Goes Alarmingly Awry

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I have always been one to believe that hypnosis doesn't work, or it only works on a select few who really want it to work. I was kind of shocked to see this headline, and read the article with my mouth hanging open.

A private school in Quebec recently featured a hypnotist for an end-of-year school activity, and it wasn’t quite as entertaining as predicted.

After several of the students at the private girls‘ school didn’t snap out of the hypnosis– one girl for close to five hours, reports say– 20-year-old hypnotist Maxime Nadeau was forced to call his mentor for what Canada’s CBC News called an “emergency intervention.”

CBC continues:

[Nadeau] worked on a small group while others watched the show. When it came time to end the event, several girls in the audience remained mesmerized and couldn’t snap out of it, no matter what Nadeau did.
[...]
He called his mentor and trainer, Richard Whitbread, who made the hour-long trek to the school from his home in the town of Danville.
Whitbread found several girls were still suffering the effects of “mass hypnosis.”
“There were a couple of students who had their heads lying on the table and there were [others] who, you could tell, were in trance,” he said. “The eyes were open and there was nobody home.”
Whitbread said he went through the process of making the girls think they were being re-hypnotized and then brought them out using a stern voice.

It is really more than a bit scary that someone can put you under, but have difficulty bringing you out again. This would make me think that it would then be semi plausible to assume that there is a slim chance that one could stay under permanently? I don't know enough about it to know if that is remotely possible, but it does creep one out to know that a replacement needed to be called in.

What if the other guy wasn't available? What if no one else was available for several days??

The mentor speculated that because Nadeau was young and attractive, and dealing with 12-13-year-old girls, they may have been more keen than the average person to follow his instructions, and therefore fell deeper into a trance than intended.

CBC described the girls’ reactions:

The girls later described being under the sustained spell as feeling spaced out, with heavy limbs.
One student who was watching the show said it felt like an out-of-body experience.
“I don’t know how to explain it. It‘s like you’re no longer there,” Émilie Bertrand said. “You’re spaced out.”
[...]
Bertrand said even if the show effects lingered, everyone still enjoyed it.
“It was still a good activity,” she said. “At the start, it was funny. Even if there were consequences after, I’d do it again.”
Administrators at the show said they found out soon after that hypnosis is not recommended for children under the age of 14, the Huffington Post reports, because they can be more sensitive to its effects.

And while the interviewed students didn’t seem particularly troubled by the events of the day, many parents are questioning the school’s decision to hypnotize the students in the first place.

“WHAT was this school thinking?” a commenter asked. “Children should NOT be hypnotized…Period!”

OBE? And NOBODY bothered to check beforehand if it was safe for children that young to be hypnotized? Really? I would have thought that would have been one of the first things a school would have checked even if the "hypnotist" couldn't be bothered to think about it.

There is a video of some of this at the site. Not any footage of the "Alarmingly Awry" part of course. They are probably trying to avoid any pending litigation so didn't release the full tape? That's the only reason I could think of.

Anyway... this made me think a little more about how people could be hypnotized so easily and if some aren't existing under full time hypnotic control. This is a private school so I guess the rules will be a little different for them on this, but what do you guys think? Should he have been allowed to do this? Can someone "depending on commands given, etc." feasibly go through daily life hypnotized?

Here's the link: www.theblaze.com...

Mods, I did a search and didn't find this. If I missed it, please remove this post. Thanks.

edit on 6/18/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Could be a stunt being pulled by the school to bring attention. As far as hypnosis i have never seen it work in front of me so as far as i am concerned its not as black and white as it is typically shown everywhere.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Coooool.

i liked that story!

thanks kangaroo!

peace.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Wow! I do not think that ANY school should be hypnotizing students!

I can hardly believe the guy is actually thinking about doing it again?! After this incident I'd be thinking twice

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Your thread title sounds like my Catholic K-12 education.
2nd

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I want to see a pic of this Nadeau guy, is he really that attractive?

Imagine if those girls never snapped out of it, scary stuff.
edit on 18-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (tby]edit on 18-6-2012
edit on 18-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Whats funny about this story is that it happened to me once upon a time. A friend of mine saw a hypnotist one weekend and was so impressed he remembered a lot of the techniques from the show. Then one night at a party he was trying it out on a friend of ours while a group of us were drinking and watching. When he was all done his subject did not get hypnotized but I did
. It was a party at a friends house and he was trying to plant the idea into her head that the out of town parents had come home so the parties over. With that I start running around cleaning up and looking out the windows for these parents

Ah good times.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

When I was in High School in the 70's we used to get this once a year. The gym became a hypnosis play house. Everyone was told to lock their hands together with fingers intertwined to accept the suggestion that your hands were melding into one, that no matter how hard you tried you could not get them apart. This went on for several minutes until the "controller" said, "All right... take your hands apart. All those who can't come up front." There were always 7 or 8 who could not separate their hands. They were the suggestible ones. Then the show began. He would deeply hypnotize his subjects and put them through various quandaries. Some alone and some in groups.

Like he would "suggest" to the target that his shoes were on the wrong feet and then wake them up and use the key word or phrase that would begin to make the subject feel uncomfortable, focusing more and more on their feet until they could no longer stand it and actually untie and switch their shoes. Then defend the position that their shoes were on the "correct" feet. When he had several do this together it was revealing because they would defend their position to the death it seemed that their shoes were not backwards. When he woke them up again, they would look down at their feet and wonder what happened.

That was just one game he played with their heads. I always got the impression that this show was designed to demonstrate that we are trained to believe something a certain way, regardless of truth or logic. People who were susceptible to hypnotic suggestion could be shown to be "robots" to spoken commands under hypnosis that would later make them act upon key phrases or events. What was the Charles Bronson movie about that? Sleeper armies awaiting hypnotic "orders" to destroy the nation?

Looking back I genuflect that at the time they were looking for suggestible people when they performed these "shows". Ever see "Parallax View" with Peter Fonda?

Edit: Now that I think about it, the Manchurian Candidate comes to mind too. Or Sir Han Sir Han...
I think all of us are suggestible on some level about some things. Look at religion for instance, or cults in general. Many people have "unshatterable beliefs" along some lines or other.

edit on 18-6-2012 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Personal experience about my father...First, he was self-driven and curious. On a normal blue-collar
income he became a licensed pilot, a licensed charter boat captain, deep diver, created a gasoline
aspirating gizmo he attached to a behemoth Ford Fairlane that I witnessed, measured, and can verify
attained 67 miles to the gallon (albeit, with no real power and much sputtering and coughing--this
is before fuel injection with a modified carburetor), skied behind an airplane, created the first light
and siren bars for police cars and got no credit, and did many other strange and imaginative things
like constructing the first potato gun I ever heard of, back in the sixties....

Plus he once read a book about hypnosis...

I have watched my father, many times, hypnotize people for fun, or to stop smoking, or regression, or
other reasons.

I have personally watched a woman in my home freak out when under hypnotic suggestion Elvis walked
in and greeted her. She went hysterical and Dad had a hard time "bringing her back."

I have watched another grown woman go back to her third or fourth Christmas and describe yellow
haired dolls and the Christmas tree, and who was present.

I have watched people quit smoking, lose weight (temporarily), come to grips with irrational fears,
all due to hypnosis. Even been there for lots of parlor tricks when "trigger" words
would make them suddenly itch, or start laughing for no reason other then post-hypnotic suggestion.

But to this day, I have yet to be hypnotized, and after careful reading of the book he read (plus MANY
others on the subject---you can hardly find them nowadays) I have yet to successfully hypnotize
anyone.

Hypnosis requires a willing subject, who is very trusting of the hypnotist...or it won't work. Skeptical
and wary folks are very hard to hypnotize. I would bet most members here fall in the latter category
so don't waste your money on hypnotic "stopping-smoking" seminars....you probably won't be
affected and waste your money.

But I assure from personal experience hypnosis does work on some people...and on some people
it works extremely well...
edit on 18-6-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Well I can think of a high school he would be welcomed to down here in the states.

Of course, the deal is, once you have them "under," you will read a list of suggestions to them including, but not limited to: Clean your room daily and smile while you do it; say please and thank you; your mom is always right, etc.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Having been hypnotised multiple times myself, I find this very intriguing, YET very scary if this knowledge gets into the hands of "attractive" pedophiles? Eww
edit on 19-6-2012 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by CesarO
Could be a stunt being pulled by the school to bring attention. As far as hypnosis i have never seen it work in front of me so as far as i am concerned its not as black and white as it is typically shown everywhere.

I feel about the same way about hypnosis. This made me think a little differently about it though. I am not sure that the school would have anything to gain by publishing this. On the other hand, I can see a few pissed off parents trying to make a buck. Who knows though?

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska

Coooool.

i liked that story!

thanks kangaroo!

peace.

Always more than welcome SoymilkAlaska!

Originally posted by angellicview
Wow! I do not think that ANY school should be hypnotizing students!

I can hardly believe the guy is actually thinking about doing it again?! After this incident I'd be thinking twice

I agree 100%! They must just really be a glutton for punishment to go through that again. I guess it's going to be a hard lesson to learn maybe.

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
Your thread title sounds like my Catholic K-12 education.
2nd

It was only a matter of time!

Originally posted by kat2684
I want to see a pic of this Nadeau guy, is he really that attractive?

Imagine if those girls never snapped out of it, scary stuff.
edit on 18-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (tby]edit on 18-6-2012
edit on 18-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

I kept trying to get a good luck at him in the video....but alas!
extra DIV

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Whats funny about this story is that it happened to me once upon a time. A friend of mine saw a hypnotist one weekend and was so impressed he remembered a lot of the techniques from the show. Then one night at a party he was trying it out on a friend of ours while a group of us were drinking and watching. When he was all done his subject did not get hypnotized but I did
. It was a party at a friends house and he was trying to plant the idea into her head that the out of town parents had come home so the parties over. With that I start running around cleaning up and looking out the windows for these parents

Ah good times.

This made me laugh, but it is scary to know that it actually works like this for some people. It would probably make me paranoid to know I could be "put under" by regular folks just walking around!

Originally posted by intrptr

When I was in High School in the 70's we used to get this once a year. The gym became a hypnosis play house. Everyone was told to lock their hands together with fingers intertwined to accept the suggestion that your hands were melding into one, that no matter how hard you tried you could not get them apart. This went on for several minutes until the "controller" said, "All right... take your hands apart. All those who can't come up front." There were always 7 or 8 who could not separate their hands. They were the suggestible ones. Then the show began. He would deeply hypnotize his subjects and put them through various quandaries. Some alone and some in groups.

Like he would "suggest" to the target that his shoes were on the wrong feet and then wake them up and use the key word or phrase that would begin to make the subject feel uncomfortable, focusing more and more on their feet until they could no longer stand it and actually untie and switch their shoes. Then defend the position that their shoes were on the "correct" feet. When he had several do this together it was revealing because they would defend their position to the death it seemed that their shoes were not backwards. When he woke them up again, they would look down at their feet and wonder what happened.

That was just one game he played with their heads. I always got the impression that this show was designed to demonstrate that we are trained to believe something a certain way, regardless of truth or logic. People who were susceptible to hypnotic suggestion could be shown to be "robots" to spoken commands under hypnosis that would later make them act upon key phrases or events. What was the Charles Bronson movie about that? Sleeper armies awaiting hypnotic "orders" to destroy the nation?

Looking back I genuflect that at the time they were looking for suggestible people when they performed these "shows". Ever see "Parallax View" with Peter Fonda?

Edit: Now that I think about it, the Manchurian Candidate comes to mind too. Or Sir Han Sir Han...
I think all of us are suggestible on some level about some things. Look at religion for instance, or cults in general. Many people have "unshatterable beliefs" along some lines or other.

edit on 18-6-2012 by intrptr because: additional...

I've never seen the movie, but I will have to check it out. Manchurian Candidate did indeed cause some deep thought !

It's a pretty clever way to find your mark using the technique that you described though. I have been told that it takes a weaker mind to to be hypnotized, but I am not sure about that either. I just don't know enough about it. I just assumed most things I thought I knew about it I suppose.

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
Well I can think of a high school he would be welcomed to down here in the states.

Of course, the deal is, once you have them "under," you will read a list of suggestions to them including, but not limited to: Clean your room daily and smile while you do it; say please and thank you; your mom is always right, etc.

Nice!!!

Now that you mention it....

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rival
Personal experience about my father...First, he was self-driven and curious. On a normal blue-collar
income he became a licensed pilot, a licensed charter boat captain, deep diver, created a gasoline
aspirating gizmo he attached to a behemoth Ford Fairlane that I witnessed, measured, and can verify
attained 67 miles to the gallon (albeit, with no real power and much sputtering and coughing--this
is before fuel injection with a modified carburetor), skied behind an airplane, created the first light
and siren bars for police cars and got no credit, and did many other strange and imaginative things
like constructing the first potato gun I ever heard of, back in the sixties....

Plus he once read a book about hypnosis...

I have watched my father, many times, hypnotize people for fun, or to stop smoking, or regression, or
other reasons.

I have personally watched a woman in my home freak out when under hypnotic suggestion Elvis walked
in and greeted her. She went hysterical and Dad had a hard time "bringing her back."

I have watched another grown woman go back to her third or fourth Christmas and describe yellow
haired dolls and the Christmas tree, and who was present.

I have watched people quit smoking, lose weight (temporarily), come to grips with irrational fears,
all due to hypnosis. Even been there for lots of parlor tricks when "trigger" words
would make them suddenly itch, or start laughing for no reason other then post-hypnotic suggestion.

But to this day, I have yet to be hypnotized, and after careful reading of the book he read (plus MANY
others on the subject---you can hardly find them nowadays) I have yet to successfully hypnotize
anyone.

Hypnosis requires a willing subject, who is very trusting of the hypnotist...or it won't work. Skeptical
and wary folks are very hard to hypnotize. I would bet most members here fall in the latter category
so don't waste your money on hypnotic "stopping-smoking" seminars....you probably won't be
affected and waste your money.

But I assure from personal experience hypnosis does work on some people...and on some people
it works extremely well...
edit on 18-6-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

Your post makes sense and I thank you for sharing it.

I just can't help but thank that if this is possible with a fair amount of people, that there is bound to be huge abuses of the power.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Ha, let me hypnotize a room full of private school girls.... "alarmingly awry" would be an understatement... You'd be buying my dvds...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
Having been hypnotised multiple times myself, I find this very intriguing, YET very scary if this knowledge gets into the hands of "attractive" pedophiles? Eww
edit on 19-6-2012 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

That crossed my mind more than once while watching the video...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I believe that no matter how suggestible the person or how deep the trance given time you will gradually regain full consciousness without any outside intervention. I doubt it would take any longer than a normal sleep period most likely much less time. Though I can see why these girls needed to be awakened and that without a real need children and hypnosis is not the best of combinations

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Ha, let me hypnotize a room full of private school girls.... "alarmingly awry" would be an understatement... You'd be buying my dvds...
reply to post by dayve

I'm not sure how to take what you posted, but ROFLMAO

edit on 19-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
What do they mean the school brought a hypnotist for an event.

I thought the sole intent of public schools was mass-hypnosis?
edit on 19-6-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I'm not buying this story. I think it is overblown, and over-hyped, if not outright lies in some parts. As someone who is quite familiar with hypnosis, somnambulist tendencies in the population is extremely low, and finding even one in a classroom would be rare. Adding to that, the deeper the altered state, the more control the hypnotist has, this guy would have to be a complete idiot not to be able to bring these girls out of trance.

Having said that though, playing with the minds of children is not a game. This should never have been attempted by anyone less than a board certified hypnotherapist. Children are already suggestible enough, they don't need someone messing around with their heads to make matters worse.

What do they mean the school brought a hypnotist for an event.

I thought the sole intent of public schools was mass-hypnosis?

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3 >>

join