It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Unveils iPad Competitor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
After two years of iPad dominance, Microsoft finally decides to step in the ring with the new Surface tablet, using the name of the old "touch screen coffee table" that was supposed to change the world in 2007. But now apparently Microsoft is ready to take on the big Apple, seen here:

So, do you think that a Microsoft product can take on the iPad? I highly doubt it, but you never know. I myself don't own a tablet since I have a laptop and a smartphone; owning a tablet seems redundant, but I am interested in new tech, and honestly the Surface looks pretty slick. Windows 8, not so much.

What do you think? Here is the link to Microsoft's website here

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by wjones837

I think it looks very interesting. I like the look and customization. Unfortunately, They have some tough competition in this field with the ipad. I really don't think this will be successful unless it somehow has more to offer...doubt it though...its Microsoft

I bet users will see the BSOD

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
LOL! it will be running Windows 8! i dont think they get the fact that people will not want a full fledged OS on a tablet, if you want to compete with the Ipad you must first compete with IOS..

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JDmOKI

Even if users see the BSoD, Microsoft faithful will probably buy it out of loyalty to the product, but this may be interesting indeed. I am excited to see another competitor. While I don't have a tablet, if a good enough one that isn't a thousand dollar iPad comes out, I would look into it.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Newagekid2012
LOL! it will be running Windows 8! i dont think they get the fact that people will not want a full fledged OS on a tablet, if you want to compete with the Ipad you must first compete with IOS..

They will have a Windows RT version as well, but point well taken. Even the windows phone is almost non-existent in the market.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It's interesting but it's going to have to be very aggressive to win this ... I have an ipad 2 and the key attraction is the apps .. there's EVERYTHING and much of it is free.. you can find anything you want .. I'm also a jailbreaker so the tweaks I have such as folder enhancements ( first thing I always install ) make it a pleasant experience.. I have a 4s as well so it's nice having the uniformity .. Windows has a long way to go .. it's my primary desktop, but I'm familiar with ios as mobile device.. they have to seriously undercut ios in cost, and developer expense in order to win this.. Apple costs the developer .. microsoft should halve the cost or make it free if they want to win the app market..

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
If Microsoft can make it cheaper for the developer as well as make it cheaper for the consumer without killing quality, they would have a chance.. but they REALLY have to focus on the developer

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I .. and many other developers, hate IOS because they push objective c on you .. you have the option of other frameworks but it all compiles to the same ... it's all hacks ..developers need some freedom.. provide API's and options .. and some strict quality control for approval without sacrificing options

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

I think Microsoft really missed the boat. Microsoft was never really about an edgy product line that was the "must have". That was always apples thing.

With the innovation of Andriod as a real operating system, Microsoft lost out on the market that was tailor made for them. Microsoft would have done well to be THE operating system across manufacturers like Andriod is.

Microsoft will be hard pressed to release something that makes them relevant again.... In the hand held device market at least

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by KnawLick

I think Microsoft really missed the boat. Microsoft was never really about an edgy product line that was the "must have". That was always apples thing.

With the innovation of Andriod as a real operating system, Microsoft lost out on the market that was tailor made for them. Microsoft would have done well to be THE operating system across manufacturers like Andriod is.

Microsoft will be hard pressed to release something that makes them relevant again.... In the hand held device market at least

In the mobile world they are not relevant at all but they still hold 95% of the desktop marketshare .. it would be foolish to discount them .. they are still a huge force to reckon with .. they've just not been smart recently.. AT ALL ..

But they still shouldn't be discounted .. they still annoy me in the web world, they aren't the most popular web platform either but they still have some weight.. corporations tend to have .net burned into their minds.. I'll wait..

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I see PC's being what we thought Mac's were 10 years ago. Like something only a specialized class need like designers, architects, etc. Except that accountants, business types will assume this role.

The world is moving to the tablet, portable, iOS system operating system. Even Mac snow leperd is quasi iOS.

...personally I hate it. I like the fully systems, not the water down iOS.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
No matter what, Microsoft has to get on the bandwagon, adapt or die. In reality, the only way Microsoft is going to be able to be competitive is to get in the game. So while I don't expect much from this offering, for all we know this may be the start of something big. Here's an interesting article on why this guy thinks Apple should be worried. The best point he makes is number two - there are so many windows and Xbox users out there, the transition could be easier, and the ability to integrate your tablet to your work computer (which almost definitely runs windows) could be a big selling point to companies whose employees are on the go, like insurance agents or salesmen. An easier and lighter way to carry around all your necessary business that works seamlessly (as Windows can be) with the desktop? Good idea!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Honestly, Microsoft has never been a leader in hardware EXCEPT for the Xbox.

They should stick to the OS side of things, and let the vendors do the hardware.

Honestly, Microsoft's OS could use a complete over-haul in and of itself. Still a massive amount of bugs to work out, etc.

Personally, the idea that makes me giddy is to dream of a universal platform, that does it all, everything, solid, speedy, and without errors. (No such thing exists).

Wish Linux would catch up to where MS and IOS / drioid are. That would be the best option.

Now if Microsoft would release info to the Linux community so they could integrate the ability to handle MS stuff, only better, you'd have a massive shift in the market.

But of course, since it's all about profits, and money, nothing of the sort will ever occure.

top topics

join