learn more

Planet X: The Movie

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by switching yard

The reason that the drawings show the fictional planet so far out is that it makes up for the problem that no one can see it. Two objects will remain bound to each other as long as neither is moving fast enough, i.e. reaches what is known as escape velocity. Imagine throwing a rock really high into the sky or throwing it only a little way up. In both cases the rock eventually slows down and for a moment is at rest with respect to the ground. Then it speeds up and falls to the ground. Without air resistance the rock lands as fast as it went up. A planet in orbit also changes speed as it moves away from the sun. It speeds up as it returns towards the Sun so there is no loss of energy.

But there is a place where energy is transferred, not lost. That happens mainly when the 2 are close to each other. The Earth's rotation slows down and the Moon moves away from the Earth. The Sun slows down and the Earth moves away from the Sun. These are tiny changes on a yearly basis.

A planet with a highly eccentric orbit changes quite a bit. The Moon's orbit is circular enough that there is little change. A highly eccentric orbit has a greater energy transfer. That makes the orbit of the planet change quite a bit. So a planet with a hghly eccentric orbit cannot have a regular orbit such as a 3600 year orbit. The orbital period would change as the orbit changes.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The "series finale" of the TV show "The Event", that was aired in 2011, shows Planet X (or Nibiru, if you want) being "teleported" by the "aliens" to the vicinity of Earth.

By the way, that TV series also depicted the Washington Monument being cracked during an earthquake, in an episode that was aired 5 months before the Monument actually cracked, during the Virginia earthquake.
edit on 20-6-2012 by GLontra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Ahhh I love that movie, "When Worlds Collide!" I don't know that many people have heard of it. I've watched it many times I love it so much. It's pretty interesting if you get past the science and some would say goofiness of it.

www.youtube.com... Here is the trailer for anyone who might be interested.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

I remember seeing that movie when I was a kid in the 70's after staying up late one night on TV.

Good flick!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join