It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google releases 'troubling' data on government requests to remove content

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Google releases 'troubling' data on government requests to remove content

www.nydailynews.com...

Google pulled back the curtains on itself Sunday with the release of its latest “transparency report,” calling the results “troubling.”

The search giant’s report is the fifth of its kind, and details the number and kind of requests the company receives from governments around the world regarding the removal of user content.

"Unfortunately, what we've seen over the past couple years has been troubling, and today is no different," Senior Policy Analyst Dorothy Chou wrote in a post on the official Google blog.

Noting that the search engine is regularly asked to remove politi
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Mon Jun 18 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: fix title and link

edit on Mon Jun 18 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This certainly should come as no surprise, but one can only wonder what information has been culled. Will there be a leak of some sort from someone inside Google that's seen enough to do so?

There are resources for doing so, yet there's also a strong force they must overcome, from governments and from inside Google. Omissions in information are just as powerful and false information.

[url=http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/google-releases-troubling-data-government-requests-remove-content-article-1.1097805]www.nydailynews.com[ /url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Hope you don't mind but I fixed your LINK

Thanks for posting, but I guess it comes as no surprise whith everything that's going on.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
They are a private company. They can put up links to penis enlarging sites for every result if they wish. They don't need warrants or due process to do as they please. You also don't have to use youtube, google etc.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
They are a private company. They can put up links to penis enlarging sites for every result if they wish. They don't need warrants or due process to do as they please. You also don't have to use youtube, google etc.

My issue isn't with Google. My issue is with the nations "requesting" the elimination of information; especially the US. What have they requested to be retracted?

Do you have a need for a penis enlargement? Try Googling it.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
GGL'e will never release sensetive data unless insturucted otherwise and for the love of man kind, do not think otherwise.. trust me on this one..!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

...from governments and from inside Google.

My issue isn't with Google. My issue is with the nations "requesting" the elimination of information; especially the US. What have they requested to be retracted?

Sorry. Must've misread that. I thought it said google.

I tried googling it. Didn't enlarge anything. I must try clicking on those dollar signs on the sites.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Yes inside Google as well. They claimed to have been an open resource, yet now admit to culling links to information at the request of governments around the world.

Originally posted by PsykoOps

...from governments and from inside Google.

Sorry. Must've misread that. I thought it said google.

I tried googling it. Didn't enlarge anything. I must try clicking on those dollar signs on the sites.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
A lot of people would like to, but only gov'ts have the clout to force them.

I read a list a few months back. Most of it was from India and the report I read was Indian.

I keep an eye on defamation cases against google. I hope to see some people win, but only because it is easy to tip the search listings against someone with no recourse to justice at all.

From what I've seen, it is becoming more common to try and force google to censure it's search results by small players, but google so far seems safe.. in most countries.

new topics

top topics

join