It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Invent Spiderman Suit For the Military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
"Whether it’s flying over a wall like Iron Man in the latest Avenger’s movie or swinging from building to building with ease like Spiderman through Manhattan’s skyline, military forces have long looked for ways to emulate these superheroes."

Source

Using three components — a vacuum ascender, an adhesive anchor and a rope ascender ­— the Utah State University team took its design to the National Center for Medical Readiness training facility in April to compete against 16 universities that included Arizona State, Johns Hopkins and Brigham Young University for the top honor.

In August 2011 teams were given the warfighter-focused engineering design challenge, $20,000 for materials and fabrication and nine months to come up with a demonstrable solution. Teams were judged on both objective measures (weight, size, velocity achieved) and subjective measures (ease of operation, usability, stealth, innovation and elegance).

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
That's neat lol but I wouldn't be so worried bout size as I wld sound, I mean could you imagine trying to covertly climb a wall lol talk about a pick me off with a sniper rifle moment.

It's funny that our military has turned to schools for technology which doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling at all but still cool find.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a show in UK on BBC1 called 'Big Bang' also did this last year i think.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Nobody would hear them coming...

Cool innovation but I wouldnt be surprised if something much lighter & quieter already existed.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by M1FST91

it's just a form of tapping a cheap labor pool and ripping off ideas.

they did all the hard work, now some of the worlds most talented and smartest engineers with unlimited budgets and exotic classified materials can perfect and refine it until it runs silent and can hold an up an elephant.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It's possible that they (the military) have had this technology for years, but rather than "disclose" this technology, they let students "come up with it" first...

Kyle

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Whats wrong with the old fashion way? Its cheaper, silent, less technical, and cheaper. Spiderman? That looks more like optimist prime lol

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by M1FST91
It's funny that our military has turned to schools for technology which doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling at all but still cool find.

The military has been doing that for a long time. Its a good investment for both students and military. I was involved in a project that dealt with autonomous drones . The scenario they gave was of a nuclear or unknown catastrophe where our robot had to autonomously investigate the area and go through obstacles without any intervention. A friend of mine was involved with one that dealt with realistic fish drones
. The fish even had mechanically controlled bones.

That was at least 15 years ago.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

I'm with you. I would never ever take that into combat. I have never encountered a situation where I needed a loud, cumbersome, and bulky Hoover in Combat.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
maybe one day soon they'll have the chance to put it to the test. ... id love to try it against a desert eagle :p

top topics

join