It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stay at home women degrade the status of women in our society.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by InternetGremlin

I didn't get chance to see all the posts but glad you saw the message of the OP as well.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Well, I am so called 'stay at home' dad. I also run our ranch and a small business. We homeschool our son. This utter tripe pushed by the leftist, liberal elitist that want to separate children from their parents so they can be properly indoctrinated.

I have been a paramedic and climbed cell towers. I do farm labor daily. And being a stay at home parent is rigorous whether your in Manhattan, a farm in Missouri, or the suburbs of Phoenix.

Who was the half-wit radio talking head? Limbaugh? Franken? Sharpton? Hannity? They are all idgits with the same agenda.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by trysts

Not really. If you consider yourself a feminist than you have added an unnecessary descriptor that does more dividing than it does uniting and equating.

"Feminism" was an over reaction to a problem that was already on the mend because the woman's rights movement had already started things in motion, but with sense.

I can't make a long post right now from my phone, but feminism hurts women, relationship/communication between sexes, and society, more than it does anything to help it.

Like many here, I think you're looking at feminism incorrectly. Feminism, to me, is not one organization which could be usurped, instead it is a continuous movement focusing upon social, intellectual, psychological and political issues which affect women. An example of what is going on in this thread would be...
Say you're into thinking about and investigating UFOs. You have no doubt about the importance of that issue for you. Then someone starts a thread saying they heard a radio interview of a UFologist saying that anyone who doesn't believe in UFOs is an idiot. Many responses in the thread start saying that all people who believe in UFOs are nuts. Of course you think the study of UFOs is worthwhile and important to you, and you don't even consider what the UFologist said as describing what you think. But the whole thread is just bashing people who study UFOs.
It's kind of like that for me. Other feminists don't speak for me. The feminist movement takes on a wide variety of issues. It's just plain silly to look at feminism as a threat to men, women or families. It's not a dead issue in the western countries, simply because it's multi-faceted. I love reading feminist literature and philosophy. I take a huge interest in female issues concerning the psychology of relationships, domestic abuse, rape, the way girls are raised in western culture, etc. The subjects are not illusions or fairy-tales, and I'm not being manipulated by Rockefeller, lol. Feminism will hopefully be thriving for many generations to come

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
They do it because then you have to give away your kids for care. Always remember, sabotage the youth, win 30 years later with a army of brainwashed idiots.

Its outrageous to say something like this. "Stay-at-home-women" Its called MOTHER! We all had one to grow us up.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exitt

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth
Be thankful for feminism making the world a safer place for women and children and a more palatable society in general.

Feminism is Out in the western world, mine&yours that is, just as unnecessary as a sony casette walkman when you've already progressed onto ipod. Feminism is maybe needed in other parts of the world but this thread is not about that.

So what are we talking about here? We came to the point of no return and the only way is down the hill which means it gets worse - so now you get to spew comments (you or another ATS 'feminist') that you like to earn your own money instead of acting like a prostitute BUT wait a minute isn't prostitution a recognized profession? I thought so, women are choosing to make money by selling their body's and you are (indirectly) telling them it is a wrong, non-feminist profession ey?
Just like a woman with a 'wasted' phd who chose to open up a beauty salon and earn her own money, just like a mother of 4 who chose to stay at home 'and do nothing all day long'.

Feminism - go away and leave people alone!
edit on 19-6-2012 by Exitt because: .

The post you quoted was in response to another poster that said Rockefeller invented feminism. Read my posts, I said I wouldn't categorise myself a feminist.

Furthermore I never mentioned any of the other things you said.

Additionally, if you read the rest of the post, I clearly referred to the fact that feminism has been around for a very long time and in it's truest form is the very thing that fought for the legal rights of women and preventing men from legally killing or beating their wives and taking their property. Is this something you would prefer reversed? I am very glad lagal rights for women are in place! Read posts properly before you go around spouting nonsense at people.

edit on 19-6-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Well said, my point exactly, this thread has stirred the uneducated blinkered masses on ATS of all places into ignorance and hatred, showing the real colours of some of the posters on this site which is supposed to DENY IGNORANCE.

Those that buy into blanket stereotypes should just keep their blankets on their eyes and mouths and save corrupting those with impressionable minds into thinking feminism as evil and bleating housewives saints.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5
reply to post by grandmakdw

For clarity...

By "radio personality"...you mean Rush Limbaugh

By "Article written by a Feminist"...you mean Elizabeth Wurtzel at the Atlantic....

By "Stay at home women"....you mean stay at home WIVES of the 1%...who rarely "stay at home(s)"

Housewives...not stay at home moms.

Having a net worth of 250 Million and having 5 Nannies and housekeepers at each of your 6 homes is a whole different world from the average stay at home mom who works her ass off....and THAT is the theme of her article.

Excerpts from the article..

I am going to smack the next idiot who tells me that raising her children full time -- by which she really means going to Jivamukti classes and pedicure appointments while the nanny babysits -- is her feminist choice.
I have to admit that when I meet a woman who I know is a graduate of, say, Princeton -- one who has read The Second Sex and therefore ought to know better -- but is still a full-time wife , I feel betrayed.

To be a stay-at-home mom is a privilege, and most of the housewives I have ever met -- none of whom do anything around the house -- live in New York City and Los Angeles, far from Peoria.

Being a rich mom -- even with five sons, bless her heart -- is not even sort of a job. Housekeepers there, servants there: it's not just that being a wealthy wife is not work in the way that being a corporate litigator or a corporal in the Army is work, it's that it doesn't even involve picking up Lego pieces and putting away GI Joe dolls or much of any of the stuff that makes being a mom a job.

www.theatlantic.com...
edit on 19-6-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

She is talking about the false claims and false feminism of the likes of The Housewives of New Jersey or Housewives of New York.

She is NOT talking about 99% of stay at hom moms...and she makes that clear alll throughout her article..

Maybe you should stop listening to Rush Limbaugh...

I am reposting your post and highlighting the parts that prove this thread as not getting the point and needlessly stirring hatred, though it probably wasn't the original intention, it does seem very self congratulatory and self indulgent especially when the comment wasn't aimed at the likes of the OP or any other working / stay at home mother or even mothers in general or stay at homers in general. People on ATS should be aware of the potential for influencing others in awful ways and giving voice to the haters. ATS'ers should be making a concerted effort to guide and give valid information that is useful in DENYING IGNORANCE instead of instigating it.

The overall jist this thread has created from most of the posts is that 99% of those posting on it are of the opinion ''bleeping feminists homewreckers how dare they berate stay at home mothers'' when in REALITY, the title of the thread is MISLEADING, the ORIGINAL COMMENT taken completely out of CONTEXT and TWISTED into a moral argument at how valid the PRIVILEGE of being able to be a stay at home mother is. NO ONE WAS ARGUING THE VALIDITY OR ROLE OF STAY AT HOME MOTHERS. please stop making hatred threads, INCITING HATRED AND INSTIGATING MOB MENTALITY ISN'T CLEVER. Society has to be more cohesive, we should all be aiming for making the world a better pleace, starting with better understanding of others and situations. The media has created a soundbite reactionary culture, at least here on ATS where such things are realised should be the place where ignorance isn't given a voice.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sapien82
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

How can a human being know they exist without confirmation from another human being or lifeform ?

also Art is a major contributing factor to society and civilisation , some art movements have shaped the world beyond belief !

Bauhaus is a prime example

How do you know that such a thing called gravity exists? You just know.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth

Originally posted by Indigo5
reply to post by grandmakdw

For clarity...

By "radio personality"...you mean Rush Limbaugh

By "Article written by a Feminist"...you mean Elizabeth Wurtzel at the Atlantic....

By "Stay at home women"....you mean stay at home WIVES of the 1%...who rarely "stay at home(s)"

Housewives...not stay at home moms.

Having a net worth of 250 Million and having 5 Nannies and housekeepers at each of your 6 homes is a whole different world from the average stay at home mom who works her ass off....and THAT is the theme of her article.

Excerpts from the article..

I am going to smack the next idiot who tells me that raising her children full time -- by which she really means going to Jivamukti classes and pedicure appointments while the nanny babysits -- is her feminist choice.
I have to admit that when I meet a woman who I know is a graduate of, say, Princeton -- one who has read The Second Sex and therefore ought to know better -- but is still a full-time wife , I feel betrayed.

To be a stay-at-home mom is a privilege, and most of the housewives I have ever met -- none of whom do anything around the house -- live in New York City and Los Angeles, far from Peoria.

Being a rich mom -- even with five sons, bless her heart -- is not even sort of a job. Housekeepers there, servants there: it's not just that being a wealthy wife is not work in the way that being a corporate litigator or a corporal in the Army is work, it's that it doesn't even involve picking up Lego pieces and putting away GI Joe dolls or much of any of the stuff that makes being a mom a job.

www.theatlantic.com...

She is talking about the false claims and false feminism of the likes of The Housewives of New Jersey or Housewives of New York.

She is NOT talking about 99% of stay at hom moms...and she makes that clear alll throughout her article..

Maybe you should stop listening to Rush Limbaugh...

I am reposting your post and highlighting the parts that prove this thread as not getting the point and needlessly stirring hatred, though it probably wasn't the original intention, it does seem very self congratulatory and self indulgent especially when the comment wasn't aimed at the likes of the OP or any other working / stay at home mother or even mothers in general or stay at homers in general. People on ATS should be aware of the potential for influencing others in awful ways and giving voice to the haters. ATS'ers should be making a concerted effort to guide and give valid information that is useful in DENYING IGNORANCE instead of instigating it.

The overall jist this thread has created from most of the posts is that 99% of those posting on it are of the opinion ''bleeping feminists homewreckers how dare they berate stay at home mothers'' when in REALITY, the title of the thread is MISLEADING, the ORIGINAL COMMENT taken completely out of CONTEXT and TWISTED into a moral argument at how valid the PRIVILEGE of being able to be a stay at home mother is. NO ONE WAS ARGUING THE VALIDITY OR ROLE OF STAY AT HOME MOTHERS. please stop making hatred threads, INCITING HATRED AND INSTIGATING MOB MENTALITY ISN'T CLEVER. Society has to be more cohesive, we should all be aiming for making the world a better pleace, starting with better understanding of others and situations. The media has created a soundbite reactionary culture, at least here on ATS where such things are realised should be the place where ignorance isn't given a voice.

Couldn't.agree.more.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Feminists are the ones who are ruining the image of women all around the world.

What you do is completely legitimate and in no way effects the status of any other woman in the world, to say that it does is complete lunacy.

These feminists have no idea what they are doing, poisoning the minds of females and males a like.

They should be egalitarians and allow women to make their own choices, along with men about how they think they should be treated, how they should live their lives and how it's nobody else's business but your own what you do with it.

~Tenth

whut???

My mother was a feminist. She raised three children, she took care of her husbad and her mother. She worked over 40 hours a week in a sewing factory until she was 46 years old. My father got a better paying job so she became a stay at home mother/grandmother. She was one of the hardest working, caring, honest, helpful, determined women who ever lived.

She slaved over a hot stove cooking the holiday dinners. When they were finished and we were ready to eat, the children went first, ALWAYS, then the women and men went together, not one before the other, together. Men and women were equal in all ways. She was a feminist, she didn't expect women to settle for what their husbands gave them. She didn't expect men to settle for what their wives gave them.

She had countless people "come out" to her because they knew she wouldn't judge them. She had countless people come to her for advice because they knew she was wise. She was a feminist. She knew that men and women were equal in their rights and their responsibilities and she made sure her children knew it too.

I think you may have a skewed view of the word and don't understand what it fully entails. It isn't ONLY the ones who march and shout and get involved in politics. It is every woman who stands up, works hard, sees equality in all people regardless of gender, race, sexuality, socio-economic status or anything else that exists.

My mother was a feminist, she was beautiful, she was loving and one of the greatest women I have ever known.

No, you misunderstand.

Feminism back in that time was ok, it was for women's rights. It's not longer than way anymore.

It's been warped and twisted, and if you can't see that, then the feminists have won and they are doing a great job and making you think that they are still fighting for their rights, when in fact they are fighting for superiority, not equality.

In a 21st century world, ANY attempt at providing "equal" rights that's not called egalitarianism has some other agenda to fufill, and is NOT about equal rights.

It's important that people realize that the labels you choose to ascribe to are important and mean something in the grand scheme of things.

~Tenth
edit on 6/19/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Lol. And what's your "agenda"? Something scares you. Women's independence, perhaps? You're fear of feminism seems like it comes from a science fiction film. lol

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SangriaRed

Well said! You brought several points to light.

Many of the skills you highlighted seem to be less common over the years. I don't know if it's due to the economy, but it seems there is an increasing interest in sewing, knitting, gardening and the like, recently. What was often referred to as a "hobby" may very well be becoming a necessity. I also believe these skills are under-rated. Take gardening... the value of growing and knowing what's in your family's food, the added nutritional benefits, the reduction in fuel for shipping, reduction of resources used for packaging... I applaud you!

The other point you mentioned was volunteering, serving others. As the economy wanes and fails, non-profits are also hit hard... volunteers are part of the solution. But, whether it be non-profits or aging parents or growing children, there are many opportunities to serve others. As a stay-at-home parent, volunteering with my child sets a great example for her. She's learning to care for others, and appreciate her circumstances. She's learning the joy of giving, in a gimme-gimme-gimme world.

Again, great points. Sounds like you're doing a brilliant job helping to raise the next generation.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

"time with the family is more important than material things.". Very well said & I totally agree!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

Lol. And what's your "agenda"? Something scares you. Women's independence, perhaps? You're fear of feminism seems like it comes from a science fiction film. lol

LOL

What scares me is an entire generation of young girls are being indoctrinated by femi-nazis to have a real dislike of men and think that they are better than than the other sex. They are being tought elitism and superiority instead of egalitarianism.

Women's independance? That's cares me? That's rich. I wish nothing more for people to be equal, in the eyes of all laws, programs governments, businesses etc.

That's not what feminism wants, feminists want superiority, as is implied in the name.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

LOL

What scares me is an entire generation of young girls are being indoctrinated by femi-nazis to have a real dislike of men and think that they are better than than the other sex. They are being tought elitism and superiority instead of egalitarianism.

Women's independance? That's cares me? That's rich. I wish nothing more for people to be equal, in the eyes of all laws, programs governments, businesses etc.

That's not what feminism wants, feminists want superiority, as is implied in the name.

~Tenth

Hilarious! That would be some indoctrination program to get girls to dislike boys! There are no "femi-nazis", that's just mean. There are definitely some women out there who are ignorant war-mongers, but to say they represent feminism is just silly. You should read some of the recent posts in this thread(not the anti-feminist comments). I'm sure you'll begin to understand what feminism is. Please don't alienate yourself from something so worthwhile by believing in, or repeating hysterical propaganda about creating a superior female race.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

In my business experience of which I have at least 20 years of, including director, CEO etc level, I have always found no such feminist agenda, in fact to the contrary, those women that were 'given' positions of power were those that pandered to their male bosses, gained the interest of their male colleagues and were the most likely to be wearing short skirts and high shoes in order for gaining interest from their male collegues in order to get the position in the first place.

Generally men were still making the decisions on who got promoted and favoured those that appealed to their masculinity rather than their ability to do the job. I wouldn't consider any of the womens actions as feminist in any way, in fact they were pandering to a male dominated environment, which the worlds workplaces still are in the majority. A REAL female influence in workplaces would be more ethical IMO as we allow for maternal nurturing.

That you see some sort of feminist advancement in the workplace is a false ideology when you consider statistics and facts. Most workplaces are MALE dominated and SHOULD be aiming for more high ranking women with the correct qualifications, insight and experience for their positions. The workplace in general would be a far more balanced environment then and perhaps we would all have better working hours and flexibility to allow for family commitments.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

This thread is actually mostly filled with hate.

And I'm not saying that ALL women are like this or that all women who call themselves feminists are like this, but if you are the "right kind" of feminist, you should not call yourself a feminist.

You are an egalitarian. Use the proper words to describe yourself. That's all I'm asking.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

reply to post by trysts

This thread is actually mostly filled with hate.

And I'm not saying that ALL women are like this or that all women who call themselves feminists are like this, but if you are the "right kind" of feminist, you should not call yourself a feminist.

You are an egalitarian. Use the proper words to describe yourself. That's all I'm asking.

~Tenth

I don't think the hate is coming from feminists in this thread...
Egalitarian, in a general sense, could also describe my point of view. I'm still happy with referring to myself as a feminist. I don't know what you think is the "right kind" of feminism. You're so extreme in your views, and I still don't know what your true agenda is

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by packinmomma

Thanks

I guess it kind of puzzles me when someone says stay at home moms are being lazy. I don't know many stay at homes like that. Most of the moms I know are doing what I'm doing or such. It's kind of the norm.
Perhaps it is our economy that has pushed some of us to return to those roots.
I have a few friends who amaze me with their homemaking skills.

I do want to add that I need to reread a few things, the above posters have given me enough reason to pause and rewind and review. It's easy to get emotional about things that are close to our hearts

I have had people make remarks about working and such. And all I can say is walk in our shoes and then say something. We have a special needs daughter and if I go to work and she ends up sick (like in the past) for weeks on end off and on, I'm the one who stays home.
So it's easy for me to get fired up about this topic.
However, if I need to pause and check myself, I'll do that.

Also, I know a few moms who are working out of the home and holy heck they do what I'm doing and their job and I don't know how they do it. I'd cry....daily.
Lol!

In all....raising kids is hard work. And there was one person on here (I swore I was going to go back and look it up but the kids dragged me to the pool...well, maybe not dragged but pressured me with their sweet smiles) who made the point that women tend to criticize each other a lot.

THAT I totally agree with.

I wish women, regardless of whether we work or not work, would spend more time encouraging moms to be hands on with their kids and knowing their limits as opposed to beotching about the moms around them. Period.
Regardless of money or not, regardless of faith or not, regardless of house size or apt size.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

I don't have extremist views. I simply know the difference between the two kinds of feminism that exist today. One is VERY dangerous, while the other is necessary.

Here's an article that might explain it better than I can.

www.psychologytoday.com...

~Tenth

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join