It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man plays Civilization II for 10 years.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

(CNN) -- Can you imagine playing a single video game for 10 years?

One man did. And it helped him imagine something else: a bleak, war-ravaged future version of Earth.

A member of the social news website Reddit who goes by the name Lycerius posted his results from a decade-long game of "Civilization II," a turn-based strategy games in which players build their own society. His epic struggle pushed the game to its limits, further than developers ever imagined or planned for.

Now in the year 3991, his world is down to three super-nations, each competing for dwindling resources, and a planet left scarred by multiple nuclear wars. His Celts are locked in a 1,700-year war with the Vikings and the Americans. All other nations have been destroyed or absorbed.

"Peace seems to be impossible. Every time a cease fire is signed, the Vikings will surprise attack me or the Americans the very next turn, often with nuclear weapons," Lycerius wrote on Reddit. "Even when the U.N forces a peace treaty. So I can only assume that peace will come only when they're wiped out. It is this that perpetuates the war ad infinitum."

www.cnn.com...

Too cool!

I remember playing this in high school at lunch, and always wondered how far these games can be pushed.

Great read. Eerie.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
the thing about Civilization II and all those games is that the behavior of the other nations are determined to an extent by the behavior of the player.

This guy loves sneak attacking others with nukes and then he complains when they do the same thing?

and how is it that he could get rid of all the other nations long before this...he must have been trying to not win.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

Because of the continual fighting, he was forced to abandon his democracy and adopt a communist state, because his Senate kept overruling him when he wanted to declare war. Also, his cities are filled with starving people (90% of his world's population died from nuclear annihilation or famine from global warming) because, he says, he has to keep building war machines to sustain his combat efforts.
"So you want a granary so you can eat? Sorry; I have to build another tank instead. Maybe next time," he wrote.

Btw, nobody says that its a prediction for our future.
Great archivment anyways (or how its written).
edit on 18-6-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

didn't think it was a prediction.

just seemed he'd have won by accident after that long. i played until 2050 once and it just gets repetitive.

i play Civ III, but I sure miss some of the combat units from the older games.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Well my brother is still playing Championship Manager 2008, since that date.
His club has a budget of 45Billion dollars in the game and all his trained became internationals.
While I know that a friend of him, is still playing Rome Total War and creating troubles in his empire to keep the game going.
They both read the Civilization article and they both agreed it's a great series of games.
Sometime I wonder if addicted gamer's create a world of their own a kind of virtual world, but directly linked to a certain schizophrenic section in the human brain. I think it is one of the most recent segment of studies in psycho-analysis these days.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This posted just before a new Civ expansion is released...tomorrow. Coincidence?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by RedAmnesia

there certainly are unhealthy behaviors that extend from games...everyone that considers themselves pretty good at chess, for example, usually end up considering themselves more intelligent of insightful compared to ones that don't enjoy the game.

when, i got pretty good at computer solitaire, i envisioned myself as a professional solitaire player in Vegas making pretty good money. dumb #.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Forget civilisation, its all about Age of Empires ll ! Lol

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Makes me wanna fire up Civ IV and kick on the trainer and see how far it'll go.

nice find...

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Forget civilisation, its all about Age of Empires ll ! Lol

One of the best games ever. Along with Age of Empires ( original / 1 ), Age of Mythology & Age of Empires 3.

Sad that Ensemble Studios was broken up or whatever happened. They made some of my favorite games.

10 years is a long time to commit to anything so good for him.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I'm interested in understanding the data the game programers used to extrapolate this outcome. Is it human history? Given the post-apocalyptic, theocratic nightmare that is the result - that's pretty freaking scary.

It is known that the government and corporations use simulated environments to anticipate outcomes so it's not so far fetched that the game simulation could have some basis in fact.

www.good.is...

cryptogon.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I still play Civ II from time to time. The longest i ever played from the start, was until 2025 when the Mongols finally conquered the world. It took maybe a week or so. The game became kinda too easy. Just make a Fundementalist govt and you can tax to the maximum allowed and the people never become unhappy.

I did do a WWII scenario where i was the Turks that lasted until 2007. Victory came when i sent a naval armada across the Atlantic and took Wash DC and NYC. That took maybe 10 days or so.

I can't see playing one game for 10 yrs...lol He must not have been playing to win. When i do play i usually have 2 or 3 going at once.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Can this game be played with only A.I.? Wonder what the results would be after ten years?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I'm wondering if it's the same pc, ten years on the same computer.
It would be a good ad for a branded computer to say "ours last"

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I saw this on the BBC, and there was a suggestion that it could "predict" the course of governments and war etc. Of course, that's rubbish.
The behavior of the game is predetermined, with choices by the player dictating changes in course through assumed possibilities.

If any game were to ever be a true reflection of reality and be able to predict the future, there would always be a margin of error, even when processing and possibilities are endless. You would need some form of AI to be able to do it, vast resources and infinite programming on a daily basis with 24/7 input of real data.

A game like this certainly cannot even come close.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I agree with Sinny: AOE and AOE2 were so fun!

Not to sound off-topic but I've played a game, the same one, since 1999, Then in 2008 or 9, a newly revamped version of the same game became the new standard (sadly).

QUAKE 3 -- played for 13 years if you factor in QuakeLive
RIP
(return if possible)

edit on 18-6-2012 by BoyMeetsWorldATS because: best deathmatch series, EVER = QUAKE

edit on 18-6-2012 by BoyMeetsWorldATS because: fix

edit on 18-6-2012 by BoyMeetsWorldATS because: ][

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I have been playing the game every since the first came out, I play five and six around the world as we speak. The one thing I learned about the game was that...the ultimate winner of the human race is the one that travels to another planet and succeeds in Terraforming on it

Lucky the computer started me off in the lands of America…do you know how hard it really is to get over here with subs and tanks and nukes. its fun if you love strategic games. I actually played civilation 2 for more than 5 years…the game never ends.
Come to think about it…doesn’t the game stop at a certain point?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Here's the link to the original reddit where it all started.

Civ II 10 years

The guy has even uploaded a save game for people to try and save the world lol

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I actually played civilation 2 for more than 5 years…the game never ends.
Come to think about it…doesn’t the game stop at a certain point?

It does end in 2020 i believe but you have the option to carry on un-scored to obliterate the enemies.

I played the PS1 version of Civ 2 for over 2 years with a friend and still play the pc version today (not very often), i prefer the simple graphics and simple gameplay than todays over complicated game. You can download Civ 2 for free on the PC and kick back in a mist of nostalgia.

D/l Link
edit on 18/6/2012 by ThorsBrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Total BS.

The game ends in 2020.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join