It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The theory of everything-Nobel winner!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Three American scientists won the 2004 Nobel physics prize on Tuesday for showing how tiny quark particles interact, helping to explain everything from how a coin spins to how the universe was built.

David Gross, David Politzer and Frank Wilczek had shown how the attraction between quarks -- the basic building blocks of nature -- was strong when they were far apart and weak when they were close together.

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences said their work on the "strong force" between quarks helped give "a unified description of all the forces of Nature ... from the tiniest distances within the atomic nucleus to the vast distances of the universe."

It explains how "an everyday phenomenon like a coin spinning on a table" is determined by fundamental forces between protons, neutrons, electrons. Protons and neutrons are made up of quarks, bound by the "strong force."

The strong force functions a bit like an elastic band that is tauter when it is pulled.

www.reuters.co.uk...�ion=news

I hadn't seen that this was posted yet. What a fascinating article! It sounds alot like the string theory (at least to me). Definitely derserving of the Nobel Physics Prize!

Bandit: fixed the url

[edit on 5-10-2004 by TheBandit795]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
another step closer to the "final theory" nice

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
All I get is a white page for the link....

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Maybe absence really does make the heart grow fonder...

David Gross, David Politzer and Frank Wilczek had shown how the attraction between quarks -- the basic building blocks of nature -- was strong when they were far apart and weak when they were close together.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

having difficulty too, with other news links

*These guys have been at it since the 1970s??
--or was it just the proto-type theory thats been ridiculed since the 1970s?

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Not sure what the problem is so I'll post the entire article...

By Simon Johnson
STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Three American scientists won the 2004 Nobel physics prize on Tuesday for showing how tiny quark particles interact, helping to explain everything from how a coin spins to how the universe was built.

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences said their work on the "strong force" between quarks helped give "a unified description of all the forces of Nature ... from the tiniest distances within the atomic nucleus to the vast distances of the universe."

It explains how "an everyday phenomenon like a coin spinning on a table" is determined by fundamental forces between protons, neutrons, electrons. Protons and neutrons are made up of quarks, bound by the "strong force."

The strong force functions a bit like an elastic band that is tauter when it is pulled.

The three scientists, in a theory known as quantum chromodynamics, also showed that when quarks are close together at extremely high energies they act like free particles, a state they called "asymptotic freedom."

Gross told Reuters the U.S. trio had made a first step toward "the theory of everything."

A grand unified theory of life and the universe has eluded scientists who cannot yet reconcile the way subatomic particles behave with gravity.

The three Americans' research on quarks brought scientists closer to explaining the behavior of subatomic forces, which also include electromagnetism and a "weak force" dealing with radioactive decay.

"Once you understand all these forces it turns out that there are certain features that cry out for unification," Gross told Reuters by phone from Santa Barbara, California.

Wilczek, speaking in Cambridge, Massachusetts, said the group's theories had first appeared "outlandish" when they emerged in the 1970s and Nobel recognition came as a "great relief."

Finnish theoretical physicist Stig-Erik Starck said the trio's research had "built a model of how the universe was born, how it works and how it will ultimately die."

Gross from the University of California, Politzer from the California Institute of Technology and Wilczek at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology will share the 10 million crown ($1.36 million) prize.

"I have no idea what to do with the money, my wife has some ideas," said Gross. "We don't have champagne on ice but its probably a good idea."

� Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.

www.reuters.com.../GetContent§ion=news

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Sean Carroll has also written a short bit about the Nobel prize. It was awarded for the quantum chromodynamics (QCD), which is not a new theory. The nobel prize is usually given about 20 years after the discovery to confirm its significance. The winners Gross, Politzer and Wilczek really deserved it!

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by blanketgirl
Maybe absence really does make the heart grow fonder...

That is clever.

Originally posted by amantine
The nobel prize is usually given about 20 years after the discovery to confirm its significance. The winners Gross, Politzer and Wilczek really deserved it!

That really sucks. It is like winning the presidential election today and holding the post 20 years later.

But I guess this way everyone knows that the winners really deserve it.

Surf

top topics

join