It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick easy ways to see through the political and media smoke screen.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Found this and thought I'd do what's necesary... you know, share it with like minded people..

There's a bit to read, but this is compiled into seperate lists. I would copy paste a sample but it's an image.. I don't think it will post correctly here so i'll leave you with the link to the page.
Errors and manipulations of rhetoric and logical thinking

I think this is a superb tool for people to get their hands on.. a little study of it and you'll know what I mean.
It's the kind of thing you'd love to see posted on every street corner to inform the sleeping..

Enjoy...

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
S&F.
Great link.
Every ATS member should have to read this. So many, including myself occasionally, fall pray to some of these fallacies.
Side note: One of the things that creates many of these is tit for tat between posters. I've been drawn in on occasion. Our natural inclination is to "beat" the other guy rather than have a rational conversation. While I'm sure I may be drawn in again at some point in the near future, I've been trying to just back out rather than get into a spat. They tend to degenerate into personal peepee contests. And many of those fallacies get used.

Also, your point in the OP. The political media complex is especially adept at using them too.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

I know exactly what you mean.

We often see some members claiming that someone they're having a 'discussion' with is a government employee ofsome kind, sent here to spread disinfo and/or change the slant of anything/everything that gets posted in order to stop people talking etc...

Butafter several hours, 5 flags and 6 stars.. it seems the info posted here may end up in the dark depths of the ATS archives

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
This should very much be compulsory education for school children to help cut through a lot of the senseless arguments that do go on.

I do find the example given for the Confirmation Bias is a contradiction, considering the information landscape I can see how it is easy to get the wrong ideas, but after digging down and actually finding the evidence, well most here know what is going on.

The design facility is also a tough one to understand, the subjective nature of art also makes it difficult to clarify. Maybe an example like "Since this attractive person is using this product it must be good".

new topics

top topics

join