It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Degree =/= Good Job

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Useless:
Journalism/communications
Horticulture
agriculture
advertising
fashion design
Child/Family Studies
music
nutrition
theater
art
history
photography
literature
English
Women's studies
Gender studies
www.thedailybeast.com...

Best:
Health Care
Business
Education
Technology
Engineering
Finance
education.yahoo.net...

I added my own to some of these list. Do college kids go for passion more or success/passion? More people got the top list compared to the bottom list at our liberal universities and colleges. Why do people feel that those degrees will allow them get anywhere in life? I mean what the hell can you do with gender studies?? I never understand that mentality...

It's blatantly obvious to any recent college grad that the best degrees to obtain are the fields that are doing the best in America.... Why are people so blind to success?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The way to get ahead is easy:

Don't go to college and get in debt.
Work from the ground up while you're young.
Take out small loans, get a single credit card, and a simple bank account....build up to excellent credit.
Explore, and figure out what you want to do, do your research, build up a business proposal.
Go to your bank, and present your proposal to them.
Get a small business loan, and become your own boss.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The people that do best i life are the people that learn a skill, such as welding, carpentry, etc, instead of going to college to learn how to do kegstands.

A traditional 4-year college is a waste of time. Technical colleges offer much more education for the buck and can actually give them experience as they learn.

By the way....music is worthless? I would disagree. Music is just as important as mathematics and opens many creative doors for people such as myself.

ETA: Agriculture is worthless? Do you not eat?

I think your list is a bit short-sighted.
edit on 18-6-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

most people don't have the skills necessary to open up/operate a business. I'm just talking about the everyday american who may not want a small business, just a career. But I understand your point very clearly I've made a few business plans myself.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Because people would rather be happy then to sell their soul to any of those lower ones you mentioned. Not everyone is built to do the things in say, technology or finance.

And honestly, the financial industry is one of the biggest wastes in the history of mankind. Its a job built around the fraud of the central banking system. It adds nothing to the economy.

And really, i have a college degree in computers,
And i -cant- get a good job without 3 - 5 years of relevant experience.
There are no jobs that hire entry level so i can get that experience.
And i was told the computer industry was good

People want to do what they enjoy, not what mega-corporations and government tell them they should do.

And as for trades, getting a trade around here is signing on to be ultra poor for two or three years after two years of being poor in college. Nice 5 years of minimum wage.
edit on 18/6/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
The people that do best i life are the people that learn a skill, such as welding, carpentry, etc, instead of going to college to learn how to do kegstands.

By the way....music is worthless? I would disagree. Music is just as important as mathematics and opens many creative doors for people such as myself.

I never said music is worthless, I said the degree in music is worthless as is the degree in mathematics!!!

I do agree with trade school up to a point, you will be able to survive with a trade school education, but some may want more than that. Some will not do the kegstands

edit on 18-6-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I really do pity all those people that are only concerned about money and success.
No wonder the world is so screwed. It always seems to come down to vanity and greed.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky

People want to do what they enjoy, not what mega-corporations and government tell them they should do.

It doesn't compute for me tho. Why waste $100,000 or more so you can get a menial job as a teacher teaching women's history when you should be wanting to make that investment back + profit!!!! Yeah, passion is great and you can hold a women's studies club meeting at your house whenever you want for free! That's not going to get you much success in life. But I do understand the people who want to teach just for the sake of teaching. I can never do that.

Not sure why you can't find a job, the computer industry is one of the best
: Depends on the area of course...

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

I guess I simply disagree with the premise that some of those subjects are not worth teaching in college. The agricultural department in my state colleges and universities are some of the finest in the world and work to make it easier to feed people.

Sure, some subjects are worthless but it is all in the eye of the beholder.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
I really do pity all those people that are only concerned about money and success.
No wonder the world is so screwed. It always seems to come down to vanity and greed.

So wanting to make money and live comfortably is greed?

Still not sure what you can do for a career in music, or gender studies. Besides teach. That only yields about 30K salary I think, hardly enough to buy a house for yourself or support a family.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

agriculture is worthless in the cities, where the article was probably written.
But honestly you don't need an agriculture degree do you?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77

It doesn't compute for me tho. Why waste $100,000 or more so you can get a menial job as a teacher teaching women's history when you should be wanting to make that investment back + profit!!!! Yeah, passion is great and you can hold a women's studies club meeting at your house whenever you want for free! That's not going to get you much success in life. But I do understand the people who want to teach just for the sake of teaching. I can never do that.

Not sure why you can't find a job, the computer industry is one of the best
: Depends on the area of course...

I have a job in telecommunications. I lucked out and got a contract with my local isp right after school, and when they contracted the work out, i got a job at the contract company. so i have a job. Its decent by not awesome or anything.

And i just told you.
To get a decent job here, in anything computer related at a higher pay then what im at, requires 3 - 5 experience in lets say.. Windows Server 2008 or Linux servers.. Well i have the knowledge of them, but all of the jobs require 3 - 5 years of experience with those types of servers. There are no jobs that hire that will give me that experience. They're non-existent. There's no inbetween. You have entry level call center jobs that have nothing to do with networking, then you have higher paying jobs that have everything to do with networking. But there is no middle ground.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I've seen so many people with degrees and college diplomas fail in normal working environments because real life ain't a thing you can study for......one business degree employee struggled at the concept of why he was being Performance Managed after 2 quarters of failing to hit his target..... we needed to track his figures for him as he failed to see the point....now he works in M&S on the veg tills

link   

It's not worthless in the cities...that's the future!

Decentralized, local, non-gassed, fresh produce!

But yea, you don't need a degree for it. I'm setting up a business next year for hydroponics.

link   
I'm about to go to college to study film. Ha! I'm thinking, damn, what am I going to do after that...seems like a somewhat hard road, but sometimes you do things for the love. Nothing wrong with that....

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

There is no entry level positions anywhere in the country? There are none nowhere in the world? I do not know your situation, but most are unwilling to go where the jobs are. It strikes me funny that today with the internet able to push someone résumé across the world in seconds to EVERYONE that there is a disconnect with jobs, that in the past was not an issue.

Here is a hint....you just are not looking in ALL entry level jobs. MOST companies hire within, so get within with ANY position and move up quickly.

Second hint...computer skills/degree opens up a lot more worlds than just IT, how about putting your résumé out to 100 different UAV companies and apply with them since all are entry level and having a good computer back ground and/or aviation experience is what they look for. Mind you, you might only see a starting wage of 70k plus a year, but 150k to 250k is not uncommon....

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

But honestly you don't need an agriculture degree do you?

That's not your choice, thankfully. People have the freedom to learn what they wish.

How do you think we would be able to apply scientific breakthroughs and technology to agriculture if there wasn't a college or university studying and learning how to do so? Agriculture should be the #1 studied topic in college if you ask me.

It's not just about getting a degree to make the most money possible. It's also about the advancement of society in how we live and learn.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

There is no entry level positions anywhere in the country? There are none nowhere in the world? I do not know your situation, but most are unwilling to go where the jobs are. It strikes me funny that today with the internet able to push someone résumé across the world in seconds to EVERYONE that there is a disconnect with jobs, that in the past was not an issue.

Here is a hint....you just are not looking in ALL entry level jobs. MOST companies hire within, so get within with ANY position and move up quickly.

Second hint...computer skills/degree opens up a lot more worlds than just IT, how about putting your résumé out to 100 different UAV companies and apply with them since all are entry level and having a good computer back ground and/or aviation experience is what they look for. Mind you, you might only see a starting wage of 70k plus a year, but 150k to 250k is not uncommon....

I cannot move at this time, it costs money to do that. Money i do not have.
There are none in this province that i have found, entry level jobs that are related that is.
Any other entry level job is minimum wage and i cannot afford to take a 6 dollar pay cut.
See a starting wage of 70k? I think canada needs some UAV factories. I'm making half that, and thats better than some of the classmates i went to school with.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by BBobb
I'm about to go to college to study film. Ha! I'm thinking, damn, what am I going to do after that...seems like a somewhat hard road, but sometimes you do things for the love. Nothing wrong with that....

A good friend's son went to college with a double major in Journalism and English. This was a full scholarship and he has never seen anything below a 4.0. He spent the first 9 years out of college working for slave wages (like 9 dollars per hour) as associate editor for different magazines. This was all about an Apprenticeship that never materialized into anything else. He has since left that and now runs a help line making not much more...

Seems like Film might be the same way...in unless you are extremely talented or lucky it is decades of low wages at best.

edit on 18-6-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I find it funny that history is "useless" knowledge. Maybe if people knew a bit of history, we would not be in the situation we are in now.

I bet farming and Ag is useless too.

Avarage US farmers age is 58 years old. Whos going to feed america 10 years from now? dont think your tech knowledge is going to do you good when bread is $20 a loaf.

Farming and Ag will be the new "millionares" of the future!
edit on 18-6-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join