Announcing the formation of the ATS Curmudgeon Party (Provisional)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Announcing the formation of the ATS Curmudgeon's Party

Due to recent political events at ATS, some new political parties are forming here to vie for the office of ATS Regent. To that end, and as the candidate for the ATS Curmudgeon Party (Provisional), I hereby announce the formation of said political party.

The name of the party is provisional, the varying choices being "The Curmudgeon Party". "The Write-In Party", and "The Party of One". The names "The Bachelor Party" and "The Birthday Party" are not under consideration, due to the fact that the voter base for such parties would be more limited, especially depending on what day it is. The final name is to be settled upon by the membership. EDIT TO ADD: "The Birthday Party" has been claimed by an opponent, PurpleChiten, but as I said, it was never under serious consideration here, any how.

The purpose of this thread is that announcement, and the development of the platform for the party in greater detail. All parties have a set of aims and goals, a basic structure that appeals to the adherents. While it is expected that the party members will flesh out the basic skeleton of the platform, a framework needs to be in place as a starting point. I have posted such a framework here, which is as follows:

1) gay Marriage - I don't care, but it ought to be equalized. I don't think the government should be in the business of saying who CAN and who CAN'T be married, either way. I don't think the government has any business at all either authorizing some or denying others. Marriage licenses should not be a matter of government issue or interference at all. At the same time, I don't think government should be conferring any benefits on the married simply by virtue of marriage. That is discriminatory against the unmarried and marriage-challenged.

2) Abortion - I don't care, but it should be equalized. If a woman takes it upon herself to kill off her offspring, then it's none of my business. Her contribution to the gene pool is obviously flawed anyhow. It's not a good survival strategy for a species to eat their own young unless those young are somehow flawed. At the same time, it takes two parents to create a child, and so the father should have some say in their disposal as well as the mother. If he's not given that say, and she kills them off any way, I support his right to cancel HER birth certificate, assuming that the initial conception was in compliance with applicable law to begin with.

As a corollary to the equalization, if some psycho kills off his pregnant wife, it should not be legal to charge him with murder in the case of the child unless the woman in question would have been charged for murder in the course of obtaining an abortion of the same child.

3) Drug legalization - I don't care. It's none of my business how someone else chooses to destroy their own world. This stance applies across the board, for ALL illicit substances, not just fluffy green ones. The only caveat is that in such cases, they should not be allowed to drag children down with them. If they insist on riding to doom, the kids should be removed and re-homed with people who AREN'T trying to destroy their own private world. Otherwise, eat, drink, smoke and sniff what you want. it's none of my business.

4) Stay the hell off of my lawn.

5) Economy - needs a re-boot, without centralization. Barter needs to be reinitialized as well, as a parallel system in case of the primary failure of the monetary system. Money to be backed by precious metals and jewels and the like, durable items of value, rather than thin air and ill wishes.

6) Foreign Policy - stay the hell out of other countries' business. Be friends, until they start trying to borrow money, or kill you, or in the more entertaining cases, both.

7) Military expenditures - I believe in a strong military. I am also a "hands-on" kind of guy, and so I am perfectly willing to fold the paper airplanes for the ATS Air Force (remember that Godzilla picture!) with my own hands.

This is a start, and not intended to be all-inclusive. It will build as it rolls downhill, like a snowball.

There you have it, the basic starting point for the ATS Curmudgeon Party (Provisional). Fleshing it out is up to you.

Have at it.

edit on 2012/6/18 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I must say it is a valiant attempt but I'm still kinda on the fence.

All your resposnses seem to be "I don't care, but....". What about kittehs? Do you care about kittehs? I ask this in all seriousness and I believe it to be a most important voter issue. Could you clarify point 4 a little more for us undecided? Maybe your lawn has good shade in the summer and is perfect for a feline to doze on....

Thanks in advance!
And good luck!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

I love kittehs! I have one of my own, but he's not big enough to eat yet.

I kid, I kid....

He's an indoor kitteh, because that's where the best AC is. I am against all forms of kitteh cruelty (including the cruelty often perpetrated BY kittehs), and so will not allow them on my lawn in the summer heat.

That's why I have AC and indoor window ledges....

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Hi You -

Did you cover the death penalty yet? Did I miss it?

Nothing like stirring the pot.

And no I'll not ask about legalization, well, never mind...

Then again why not?

What about that legalization of 'the weed we shall not name'?

peace
edit on 18-6-2012 by silo13 because: see above

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Good luck to you but i am formally throwing my lot in with Boymonkey and the Monster Raving Loonies. Im afraid your manifesto just can't complete with concreting over the Atlantic for easier access to the USA or raincoats for ducks.

Sorry but good luck anyway!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Announcing the formation of the ATS Curmudgeon's Party

Due to recent political events at ATS, some new political parties are forming here to vie for the office of ATS Regent. To that end, and as the candidate for the ATS Curmudgeon Party (Provisional), I hereby announce the formation of said political party.

The name of the party is provisional, the varying choices being "The Curmudgeon Party". "The Write-In Party", and "The Party of One". The names "The Bachelor Party" and "The Birthday Party" are not under consideration, due to the fact that the voter base for such parties would be more limited, especially depending on what day it is. The final name is to be settled upon by the membership. EDIT TO ADD: "The Birthday Party" has been claimed by an opponent, PurpleChiten, but as I said, it was never under serious consideration here, any how.

The purpose of this thread is that announcement, and the development of the platform for the party in greater detail. All parties have a set of aims and goals, a basic structure that appeals to the adherents. While it is expected that the party members will flesh out the basic skeleton of the platform, a framework needs to be in place as a starting point. I have posted such a framework here, which is as follows:

1) gay Marriage - I don't care, but it ought to be equalized. I don't think the government should be in the business of saying who CAN and who CAN'T be married, either way. I don't think the government has any business at all either authorizing some or denying others. Marriage licenses should not be a matter of government issue or interference at all. At the same time, I don't think government should be conferring any benefits on the married simply by virtue of marriage. That is discriminatory against the unmarried and marriage-challenged.

2) Abortion - I don't care, but it should be equalized. If a woman takes it upon herself to kill off her offspring, then it's none of my business. Her contribution to the gene pool is obviously flawed anyhow. It's not a good survival strategy for a species to eat their own young unless those young are somehow flawed. At the same time, it takes two parents to create a child, and so the father should have some say in their disposal as well as the mother. If he's not given that say, and she kills them off any way, I support his right to cancel HER birth certificate, assuming that the initial conception was in compliance with applicable law to begin with.

As a corollary to the equalization, if some psycho kills off his pregnant wife, it should not be legal to charge him with murder in the case of the child unless the woman in question would have been charged for murder in the course of obtaining an abortion of the same child.

3) Drug legalization - I don't care. It's none of my business how someone else chooses to destroy their own world. This stance applies across the board, for ALL illicit substances, not just fluffy green ones. The only caveat is that in such cases, they should not be allowed to drag children down with them. If they insist on riding to doom, the kids should be removed and re-homed with people who AREN'T trying to destroy their own private world. Otherwise, eat, drink, smoke and sniff what you want. it's none of my business.

4) Stay the hell off of my lawn.

5) Economy - needs a re-boot, without centralization. Barter needs to be reinitialized as well, as a parallel system in case of the primary failure of the monetary system. Money to be backed by precious metals and jewels and the like, durable items of value, rather than thin air and ill wishes.

6) Foreign Policy - stay the hell out of other countries' business. Be friends, until they start trying to borrow money, or kill you, or in the more entertaining cases, both.

7) Military expenditures - I believe in a strong military. I am also a "hands-on" kind of guy, and so I am perfectly willing to fold the paper airplanes for the ATS Air Force (remember that Godzilla picture!) with my own hands.

This is a start, and not intended to be all-inclusive. It will build as it rolls downhill, like a snowball.

There you have it, the basic starting point for the ATS Curmudgeon Party (Provisional). Fleshing it out is up to you.

Have at it.

How do you justify having a 'strong' military if you intend to be 'friends' with foreign countries.

Having a strong military only casts a shadow and sends out a strong message to neighbouring countries that you still believe you are 'top dogs' on the planet....not a very solid foundation for forging friendships with nations such as Russia, China and Co.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Hi You -

Did you cover the death penalty yet? Did I miss it?

Not explicitly, but implicitly in the discussion of abortion, where I say that the father should be able to "cancel the mother's birth certificate" if she just decides to kill off their common offspring without his input at all.

In general, and not connected to the specifics of abortion, I firmly believe that there are people walking this world that just need killing, so I support the death penalty in particularly egregious cases.

It works better if delivered at the time of offense, but executioners have to eat, and have kids to buy shoes for, too!

Nothing like stirring the pot.

Stirring the pot? You mean you don't want to just kill them, but you want to EAT them, too?

And no I'll not ask about legalization, well, never mind...

Then again why not?

What about that legalization of 'the weed we shall not name'?

peace

That's covered in point 3) of The Curmudgeon's Manifesto above, as that falls under the heading of "illicit substance". If I had my way, they would no longer be "illicit substances", because I just don't care how someone else chooses to destroy themselves. Removing the "illicit" part of that equation has the added benefit of driving demand down, as well as prices, which should also result in a certain amount of reduction in crimes.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I KNEW that if I entered this race, folks would start dredging up my past!

It's the bane of all politicians, that past that won't stay behind you....

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Good luck to you but i am formally throwing my lot in with Boymonkey and the Monster Raving Loonies. Im afraid your manifesto just can't complete with concreting over the Atlantic for easier access to the USA or raincoats for ducks.

One must vote their conscience, and i commend you for that!

Ask yourself, however, does he mean to concrete the ENTIRE Atlantic, or just a driving strip across it? What provision does he suggest for not disrupting the Gulf Stream, thus plunging the Earth into a Snowball Earth type of Ice Age?

And the raincoats for ducks... is that ALL ducks? Just domesticated ducks? it it potentially limited only to mallards? Dig more deeply into the policy, to see if it isn't discriminatory! What will they do with the raincoats that the ducks at Peking restaurants were wearing? Will they recycle them responsibly? Or will they just toss them into the ocean to build a pacific bridge, too?

These are deep questions that beg answers!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris

How do you justify having a 'strong' military if you intend to be 'friends' with foreign countries.

Not everyone is friendly. Some people, despite your best efforts, will try to kill you any how. The more entertaining ones will try to get money out of you WHILE they're killing you (*cough, cough PAKISTAN, cough, cough*). The strong military is necessary to deal with cases where people just don't want to be friends, and won't leave you alone about it.

Some of them will also be needed to guard my lawn.

Having a strong military only casts a shadow and sends out a strong message to neighbouring countries that you still believe you are 'top dogs' on the planet....not a very solid foundation for forging friendships with nations such as Russia, China and Co.

Strength only sends a "top dawg" message to the bottom dawgs, the fearful sort. If someone is your friend, does it really matter if he could tie you into a pretzel? No, of course not, because he is your friend. I don't know about you, but I don't fear any of my friends, and I have some pretty mean ones, over all.

Come to think of it, when OTHER folks don't want to be friends, and try to, for instance, kick my door in, those mean friends are friends indeed!

Edit to add: this isn't a US political party, it's a world-wide, planet encompassing political party - it's for ATS, a world encircling organization. I don't think Russia currently bears any animosity towards ATS, but China probably does - and they've got that Great Firewall specifically to keep us out of China, so they won't know anything abut The Curmudgeon Party (Provisional) anyhow. A strong military could potentially be needed to defend us from the likes of GLP and the GFL, but ATS going to war with China or Russia is unlikely. South Africa may be in some danger, depending on the strength of their alliance to certain South African authors.

Lesotho and San Marino are safe, but countries with censorship, such as China, Iran, the UAE and the US can expect to hear from me if I'm elected - until they unblock us through their Great Firewalls.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

One must vote their conscience, and i commend you for that!

Ask yourself, however, does he mean to concrete the ENTIRE Atlantic, or just a driving strip across it? What provision does he suggest for not disrupting the Gulf Stream, thus plunging the Earth into a Snowball Earth type of Ice Age?

And the raincoats for ducks... is that ALL ducks? Just domesticated ducks? it it potentially limited only to mallards? Dig more deeply into the policy, to see if it isn't discriminatory! What will they do with the raincoats that the ducks at Peking restaurants were wearing? Will they recycle them responsibly? Or will they just toss them into the ocean to build a pacific bridge, too?

These are deep questions that beg answers!

Very commendable questions. However, to get all Yoda on you:

Sense, plan, answers - these are things the true Loony should not crave!

No, for me, the Loonies are the only sensible party fit for office. Like all politicians the world over, if it sounds good, say it! Don't think about the practicalities.........that is what the Civil Service are for!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Very commendable questions. However, to get all Yoda on you:

Sense, plan, answers - these are things the true Loony should not crave!

No, for me, the Loonies are the only sensible party fit for office. Like all politicians the world over, if it sounds good, say it! Don't think about the practicalities.........that is what the Civil Service are for!

Ah yes, the ubiquitous bureaucracy! everyone needs one of those - except for me, of course. Bureaucracies are one of the best arguments to keep a strong military at home that I can think of!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The name of your party does not fill me with much hope.
Curmudgeon

a crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas

www.thefreedictionary.com...

I'm gonna need more convincing.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Oh man ... I like it! I'll be keeping an eye on you and your party.

a crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas - I might have to endorse this party!
edit on 6/18/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Curmudgeon

See, the name is the main thing that keeps drawing me back from the Loonies.........kind of like the idea of a party for grumpy old gits!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Curmudgeon

You and I have met across the boards before - you should have already KNOWN that I'm a curmudgeon! I just picked that name because I personally am a crusty, irascible, cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas - but I left the name open in the OP, with alternate suggestions. This is why it says (provisional) behind the party name - it's not because I'm affiliated with the IRA or anything.

The name "curmudgeon" is also suggestive of one who never backs down, and never accepts defeat - both qualities I believe are useful in a Member Advocate

Now, with that said, what particular areas do you stand in need of more convincing in? I'm always open for discussion - I pretty much live for it. It's not always nice, but it's usually lively!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Oh man ... I like it! I'll be keeping an eye on you and your party.

a crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas - I might have to endorse this party!
edit on 6/18/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

Climb aboard - the more the merrier!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Curmudgeon

See, the name is the main thing that keeps drawing me back from the Loonies.........kind of like the idea of a party for grumpy old gits!

Me too - we're over worked and under represented!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Though I vehemently disagree with point 2, the other points do hold their own well, in my eyes. I suppose as is with everything, u can't have it all - though for those of us who do want it all to shake out their way - 'tis a conundrum still to be resolved.
edit on 18-6-2012 by Tempeste because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join