It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the name of the christian god ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
This question came to my mind yesterday, can anyone help me out ?

I know, the god of the jews is Jehova, the god of the muslims is Allah and Jesus is the son of god.
Isn't there a name because of the trinity, a different deity model ?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

I've been searching for another Bible verse that I know is similar but more specific than this one, but I can't find it at the moment.

Zechariah 14:9

9) And the Lord shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one Lord, and his name one.

Simply, when God is revealed to all, He will go by one name and that name will be LORD.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

The name of the Christian God is Allah if your speaking Arabic, (and many Christians do call him that) because that is just the Arabic equivalent for our English word "God".

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
It has been bothering me a lot over the last few months. I truly believe it is impossible to even pronounce His name and that all got lost in translation.

I have come to my own conclusion when i meditate that i call Him, "our Father in Heaven" - "He who is I Am" or "our Creator". As long as He knows you are praying to Him, i believe one is okay.

I usually say our Father in Heaven when starting my meditation. I Am and Creator will be used during the rest of my meditation.
edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: spelling

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

In Christianity God is not referred to by just one name...there are many names...by which God is called.

A person in wiki explains....(the NAMES of GOD in Christianity).

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by icepack

I've been searching for another Bible verse that I know is similar but more specific than this one, but I can't find it at the moment.

Zechariah 14:9

9) And the Lord shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one Lord, and his name one.

Simply, when God is revealed to all, He will go by one name and that name will be LORD.

Why an English word?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

i found this about the origins of the word lord:

Engl. ♦ title of nobility from Engl. Lord, from mengl. laverd, Loverd, from Old English. hlaford "landlord", full name: "bread keeper," from Old English. hlaf 'loaf of bread "(hlaifs to Goth, Old Norse. hleifr" loaf of bread ") and Old Norse. weard "keeper, keepers' (Germanic * warda to" guard ")

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I thought it was Yahweh, which means "I am who I am." The Christian God and the Jewish God are the same, the difference between the two religions lies in Jesus, the son of God, whether or not he was the son of God.

Yahweh on Wikipedia
edit on 18-6-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
In hebrew his name is yhwh. But the vowels were lost due to an odd practice of never speaking his name. Wheb hebrew started using written vowel marks they left them off the tetragrammaton as a reminder to not say it.

The most pleasant sounding guess at pronouncing it is Jehovah. Theres also yahweh.

His name was edited out of most bibles for some reason.... It looksike a really bad copy n paste job. "the lord your god"? Lol. But he wants to have a personal relationship with you?

Ask a jehovahs witness!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
I thought it was Yahweh, which means "I am who I am." The Christian God and the Jewish God are the same, the difference between the two religions lies in Jesus, the son of God, whether or not he was the son of God.
also the talmud!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Zephaniah 3:9

9) For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord, to serve him with one consent.

Not sure what the "pure language" will be, but everyone will be calling Him by one name that represents the name Lord.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

But the vowels were lost due to an odd practice of never speaking his name.

i remember "the life of brian" where nobody was allowed to say jehovah. what kind of odd practise was that ?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
This question came to my mind yesterday, can anyone help me out ?

I know, the god of the jews is Jehova, the god of the muslims is Allah and Jesus is the son of god.
Isn't there a name because of the trinity, a different deity model ?

The true name of GOD is revealed in scripture, and is made very clear. It is not just the name of Christian's God, but is the name of yours, mine and everyone's God. Because there are those that do not accept it, does not make it false.
Gods name is JESUS....

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
He will be called Emmanuel. ( Yah is with us)
He is Yashayah. (Yah saves/redeems)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The bible makes it very clear that jesus is not the same person as jehovah

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

For the life of me I wish I could find the scripture in the Bible that talks about God/Jesus names being combined to become one name (Lord). When I find it, I'll post it here.

If you'll notice, the name Lord is used 6,781 times in the entire Bible. God is referred to as Lord in the Old Testament and Jesus is referred to as Lord in the New Testament. Part of the mystery that will be revealed upon the second return of Jesus is that God/Jesus are one and will have one name when all is revealed in the end. That's why the Bible says:

Deuteronomy 10:17 (Old Testament)

17) For the Lord your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:

Revelation 17:14 (New Testament)

14) These shall make war with the Lamb (Jesus), and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Father: YHVH
Son: Yeshua
Spirit: nameless/faceless

Jehovah and Jesus are Latin translations.

edit on 18-6-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
In my opinion all our religions come from Egypt.

In the case of Christianity the name of God would be Amun. That is why every prayer in the bible is ended by Amen.
A discrete way to pay tribute to Amun.

The center of the Vatican, there is a obelisk. Once again, to pay tribute to the Egyptian Gods.
Allot of the Popes stylish gears are taken from Egyptian traditions.

edit on 18-6-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic
In my opinion all our religions come from Egypt.

In the case of Christianity the name of God would be Amun. That is why every prayer in the bible is ended by Amen.
A discrete way to pay tribute to Amun.

Lol, we say "amen" from the Hebrew "so let it be" which is technically pronounced AHH-mEEn. Spelled similar, completely different phonetics and definition.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Well yeah, God is one remember? (Deuteronomy 6:9) The Father isn't the Son or the Holy Spirit, yet God is One.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join