It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Matrix and Inception fables.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
To begin with I have to say that personally both movie's where immensely inspiring and beneficial to me at different points in my life. The main reason is they catapult your psyche into introspection and the search for the real self. But a strange thought came to me this evening as much as I enjoyed both of them, what was really happening in these stories? My conspirational mind kicked in, I thought it would be interesting to hear your views on the matter. Both fables are rich in meaning be it metaphysical, conspirational or spiritual, along with the usual economical and political views that are easily attached to anything of interest.
In the matrix we have Morpheus attacking Neo's common perception of life and the superficial attitudes that are born along with it. On the other hand, one has to admit that the general consensus is that its for Neo's own good and its strongly hinted for the good of us “humanity” also.

On the other hand in Inception, the case is very different. We have Cobb “Decaprio” and Robert Fischer “C.Murphy” Cobbs mission is to enter Fischer's mind and reprogramme it. If we look at this scenario its highly unlikely to be for humanitarian causes. But here we learn a lot about our own minds and how they defend themselves with regard to intrusions.

The revelation of detail in our mental constructs and how we believe them. What unites both movie's for me, is the dreamlike nature of both of them and yet at the same time they both seem so very real.

So back to my first thought, what would you say the movie's have done for you? Did they programme you or did they reprogramme you? Did they make any beneficial difference at all? For me I feel its hard to say, but on the other hand I have learnt an awful lot on how the mind functions and to some extent how it is far to much overvalued.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I didn't really like Inception, but I was/still am a huge fan of The Matrix.

The thought that went into that whole movie is mind blowing. It didn't "wake me up", but it did make a few folks think I was a little less deranged after they saw it.
It did give me some things to think about, and made me look into things that led to other things and so on.

I think it rang true for a lot of us who felt there was something wrong but we couldn't quite put a finger on it. I still straddle the line as to whether I believe there is an actual Matrix like the one portrayed in the film... but I do believe that there are people who work very hard to change the way certain people see certain events. Propaganda, and the like. They use pretty words, flowing speeches, spin things so they appear differently.

While I think The Matrix may have sent some on their own quest for an awakening, I can not help but feel it has harmed the conspiratorial sect more than helped it. It made it the in thing to do sort of like the Goth phase. It garnered a cult like following that usually winds up making theorists on the matrix subject look silly.
edit on 6/18/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ancientthunder

The Matrix to me, was more a tale about control, and the prison we all live in without even realising it. If you think logically, the actual tale of the Matrix would never happen, because simply, put in that position, why would the machines use us as a power supply, when, if we took out their solar power, they could simply go into space and leave us to the world we'd ruined. Plenty of solar power out there in space if you don't need to breathe right? There's something to chew on...

People trying to "wake up" from the system are realising that what we are brainwashed with, ie; the Matrix, is a system of control, a prison without walls, much the same as our reality today. Go to work, pay your taxes, and above all else shutup and do what your told. People who have broken free suffer for it, but are actually free.

Smith is hatred, and eventually takes over, in the same way we are taught prejudice and hatred, and it is up to those who are free to rebel against hatred and teach love. That is why Neo accepts Smith in the end, he accepts hatred into himself, and then sets his hatred free, thus Smith, or hatred dies. The ending is those who wish to be set free from hatred are to be released to a new dawn.

The beauty of these movies is that people can take away from them what they want, I mean watch it on a base level and it's a really cool sci-fi/action flick with heaps of guns and explosions, and a kind of supernatural element to it also.

As for Inception, I have only seen it the once, but to me it is a tale of what is real. How far can you go into your own world and regress there? It has the same styles of visual control as The Matrix, but didn't have as much depth and feel as Matrix did. The end was good though, as it left you wondering whether he was actually back in reality, or still dreaming, something we all wonder at times.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

thanks for your sharing your insight and I particulary like the part where you said

That is why Neo accepts Smith in the end, he accepts hatred into himself, and then sets his hatred free, thus Smith, or hatred dies.

for me it looses power in that form and this delivers power for freedom. As for inception, give it a few more goes I feel it has a lot to offer in ways even the director may not even know.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ancientthunder

The beauty is, any movie can be viewed on a different level if you see it. Like any symbology, it means different things to different people, and not everyone will see it.

I have just finished the Lord of the Rings, and when viewed deeper than it's fantasy roots, it is really a tale about how naturalism has been destroyed by industrialism. The natural part of the world is given way to the industrial "ring" and the natural elements of that world (Elves and fantasy creatures) are gone or disappearing, something that would have happened in the time of Tolkein writing it. Horses gave way to cars, we acheived flight and steel ships ruled the oceans. We went away from living naturally and started being an industrial society, hence the one ring (metal) ruled over us.

But then again, at it's base level, it is a great fantasy tale, something to be enjoyed for what it is.

I will watch Inception again at some point, sometimes it takes a few goes to get the proper meaning.

If you wanted your mind really blown, try applying that concept to a few Disney movies, that will truly rock your world

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Philosophy and the Matrix Return to Source.
youtu.be...

Here is a little insight into the Matrix films.

new topics

top topics

join