It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens Myths: 5 Big Misconceptions About Extraterrestrial Life

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by easybreezy
now one key factor to any life to be considered intelligent is its logic reasoning skills
and quite frankly to say if aliens, capable of traveling vast distances in tech, haven't developed any moral reasoning skills as a resulting factor of basic logic, is to say that there is no such thing as logic

And i would suggest logic and morals to be very different things.

While morally it was wrong for the conquistadors to murder their way across South America, logically, it was the best thing as they were able to take control of the massive gold wealth they had. Had they not done what they did, another european culture surely would have, negating any Spanish advantage gained from said weath, and turning the tables more in their competitors favor.

Morals do NOT equal intelligence. Nor does one beget the other.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

reply to post by nightbringr

look to be honest with you , all you are saying is that the actions of a few = the whole...Hm-mm THAAAT'S RACIST!!
... now if you would kindly explain how a government may wish to wipe an entire existence from existence? excluding eugenics.... its just not good policy, and surly there be a green movement if any interstellar race exists especially if there own means for survival were diminishing

Not sure i understood this.

And the actions of a few? Damn! When i look back through history, all i see is one tribe or country warring with another. Constantly. Mankinds existance has been drenched in bloodshed since Grog decided he wanted to be like Ogg and be tribal leader. Grog attacks Ogg and loses. Life goes on.

And governments can and have both attempted, and succeeded at wiping races from the face of the earth. Heard of the Visgoths? Didnt think so. They were exterminated like so many before. Heard of WW2 and the Nazis attempted extermination of the Jews, Rona and more?

Thought so.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by putnamcrab
Once again someone trying to talk about something they have no "Experience" in whatso ever!

"There is no way to know before experiencing" PERIOD!!!!!!!

true but only vaguely.
the motto deny ignorance

not perpetuate it.

now one key factor to any life to be considered intelligent is its logic reasoning skills
and quite frankly to say if aliens, capable of traveling vast distances in tech, haven't developed any moral reasoning skills as a resulting factor of basic logic, is to say that there is no such thing as logic

Try to think logically about it all you want... but according the "Experiencer" that's me... I don't know how they got here, but I have had every kind of physical contact with these things, They're here and they are not the good guys either
edit on 18-6-2012 by putnamcrab because: spellings off

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dayve
Whether i believe in them or not im not gonna base it off what anybody else has to say. Especially steven hawking...... His opinion doesn't mean jack s**t to me, he cant even talk....

Yeah. Why should we put any stock at all into one of the most brilliant minds of our time who has spent his entire life studying particle physics, astrophysics and more.

What does he know?

edit on 18-6-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

Whether i believe in them or not im not gonna base it off what anybody else has to say. Especially steven hawking...... His opinion doesn't mean jack s**t to me, he cant even talk....

Yeah. Why should we put any stock at all into one of the most brilliant minds of our time who has spent his entire life studying particle physics, astrophysics and more.

What does he know?

Idc what he studied, he hasn't left the earth and knows no more than anybody else about life, religion, and outer space. You can title him whatever you like, but he's just another old schmuck to me

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

What does he know?

Steven Hawking has great theories on the subject... Experiencers know the facts...

example: according to history, Before Columbus the earth was flat... the earth was still flat after Columbus experienced it. What it took to acknowledge that the earth was round was 20 years and a whole new way of thinking!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

its been well established as a civilization rises violence goes down, your hung up on things that happened in the pursuit of greed. completely disregarding cultural shift.

my closing statement, that given the possibility's that if we do encounter aliens again(note starchild) i dare say it will be a chance of around 87% to be positive experience.

and on a side note tom that other guy, if your still alive chances are its just research like we do to others.
unless your in Dulce... then get outta dodge

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Idc what he studied, he hasn't left the earth and knows no more than anybody else about life, religion, and outer space. You can title him whatever you like, but he's just another old schmuck to me

Thats a very narrowminded view you have there.

While he hasnt left earth, he is perhaps one of the most brilliant, accomplished minds of our time. I tend to believe his opinion over the ATS know it alls.

And yeah, i dont take his word as gospel either, but simply throwing away the opinion of a stupidly brilliant man is kinda dumb, dotcha think? He is able to think logically and at a level ten times what you and i can. At least. I bet you believe you have a shot at beating him at chess.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm with Hawking in that I wouldn't necessarily presume that any extraterrestrials would be peaceful and benign.

We all know how brutal and savage nature can be. The fact that humans are now pretty advanced technologically, compared with 100 years ago, doesn't mean that our species is becoming more peaceful and benign.

I think that any extraterrestrials visiting Earth would be advanced enough to do whatever they want to with us and that's not necessarily good news at all.

In fact, they might be so advanced that we can't grasp or relate to their agenda, whatever it is and I don't think they would feel obligated to explain anything to us.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Steven Hawking has great theories on the subject... Experiencers know the facts...

example: according to history, Before Columbus the earth was flat... the earth was still flat after Columbus experienced it. What it took to acknowledge that the earth was round was 20 years and a whole new way of thinking!

Except your so-called "experiencers" never provide any proof at all, do they? Never any facts. They speak in vague generalities about the mysterious things they have experienced. Then back it with nothing, just as the "flat-earthers". Hawking proved Black Holes decay as a result of Hawking radiation. Proved. Kinda puts the experiencers into the flat-earth catagory when you look at it that way, doesnt it? He uses scientific method, your so called experiencers simply ask us to trust them, the same way a Catholic priest would ask you to have faith. Sorry, i believe in the tangible. I believe in the experiencers as much as i believe in Catholicism.

Some things like string theory are just that, theory. A great many other things Hawking has discovered are verifiable facts. Experiencers never, ever deliver anything but pipe dreams and "believe me".

Yah brah, ALIENS!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by igor_ats
reply to post by DeadSnow

That could be a false dichotomy.

Things could get complicated. It would be immoral to intervene and against space convention on early civilizations. Letting a specious develop through their own wars and politics etc, is normal.

Would be great if the did intervene though. Religion would be relegated to fiction, and they could tell us the real history of man.

I have never understood why you athiests assume that if aliens were to land and say "Here we are" that religion and faith would just suddenly magically disappear. Now I can't speak for anyone else nor am I any sort of spokesman for any religion - I don't even "belong" to any religion - but if aliens landed and started hanging out with us and teaching us new science and medicine and whatever else I would still belive in God. Even if the super duper aliens told me that there was no God. Why would I believe an alien telling me there is no God? I just don't understand why you think that there must be one or the other. Why couldn't there be both aliens and God?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Originally posted by kingofmd
I thought for sure #1 would be: They exist

Aha! You caught that! Sorta like the US government quit denying UFOs a few decades ago and switched to cleverly saying that the reported phenomena are not a threat to "national security."

Today, the myth is reversed. Claiming that ETs don't exist or that UFOs are not visiting aliens is a myth not based on any single fact. There is no facts to prove those two egoistic-based viewpoints. In fact, you ;must ignore literally tons of evidence to hold that view today. Only scientific dogma holds such positions today aided and abetted by governments.

Such viewpoints in themselves are ancient myths that humans have created to protect their precious egos (and religions) from a simple truth of the Universe and elevate themselves to be the supreme animal.

In regard to the current if not half a century old myth that UFOs don't exist, we can quote and old addage about attempts to fool the masses in spite of the obvious. And that is: "The emperor has no clothes."

So, you are trying to say that it is ego that causes someone like me, for example, to doubt that aliens are visiting Earth? That I need to feel "supreme" by doubting that there has been visitation? I would say that it is quite the reverse, actually. If the aliens out there are so much more advanced than we are, then we would be nothing realistically more than an unremarkable galactic anthill filled with unintelligent little ants. An ordinary speck of sand with nothing special to make us stand out in the vastness of the universe.

Only egotistical human arrogance would assume that alien life must be visiting us.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Valid points. However, I believe the aliens (all species) have eradicated biological disease from their DNA long ago.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by tallcool1
I have never understood why you athiests assume that if aliens were to land and say "Here we are" that religion and faith would just suddenly magically disappear.

If anything, finding a new intelligent alien civilization would be a boon to some religions. Christianity has always been about proselytizing, and you can bet that it wouldn't be long after an alien saucer landed that a Jehovah's Witness or a Mormon would be knocking on their door, just itching to spread the word of salvation through Jesus Christ to the newest heathens.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I was abducted by aliens, and they seemed nice to me only when I co-operated, if I strugles they would drug me and I would not remember much except the pain and terror, if I co-operated they would reward m,e by letting me feel super happy, and afterwards I would be super-intelligent.. I was 8 years old when It started in 1996, I remember afterwards I had so many ideas and I would write them down, but after a few days I woukld read what I wrote and i COULD NOT UNDERSTAND IT IT WAS SO ADVANCED... LIKE BIANARY CODE AND MAGNETIC LEVITATION AND STAR MAPS.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I really like this infographic when it comes to alien contact.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Except your so-called "experiencers" never provide any proof at all, do they? Never any facts. They speak in vague generalities about the mysterious things they have experienced. Then back it with nothing, just as the "flat-earthers". Hawking proved Black Holes decay as a result of Hawking radiation. Proved. Kinda puts the experiencers into the flat-earth catagory when you look at it that way, doesnt it? He uses scientific method, your so called experiencers simply ask us to trust them, the same way a Catholic priest would ask you to have faith. Sorry, i believe in the tangible. I believe in the experiencers as much as i believe in Catholicism.

Some things like string theory are just that, theory. A great many other things Hawking has discovered are verifiable facts. Experiencers never, ever deliver anything but pipe dreams and "believe me".

Yah brah, ALIENS!

Looky here Dinky Do! Count yourself lucky that your on the side of the debunkers "looking" for hardcore evidence you'll never find, and not on the side of the poor victim who gets assaulted sometimes 10 times aday everyday.

But if you still need proof? Spend sometime with an experiencer, all you need is to give up 30 days of your time!
You will walk away a changed man! So there's your chance for proof!!!

Yah Brah PROOF!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Looky here Dinky Do! Count yourself lucky that your on the side of the debunkers "looking" for hardcore evidence you'll never find, and not on the side of the poor victim who gets assaulted sometimes 10 times aday everyday.

But if you still need proof? Spend sometime with an experiencer, all you need is to give up 30 days of your time!
You will walk away a changed man! So there's your chance for proof!!!

Yah Brah PROOF!

oh proof eh you sure you want it?

Conclusiv DNA new startling results

www.starchildproject.com...

debunk that

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Thats a very narrowminded view you have there.

While he hasnt left earth, he is perhaps one of the most brilliant, accomplished minds of our time. I tend to believe his opinion over the ATS know it alls.

And yeah, i dont take his word as gospel either, but simply throwing away the opinion of a stupidly brilliant man is kinda dumb, dotcha think? He is able to think logically and at a level ten times what you and i can. At least. I bet you believe you have a shot at beating him at chess.

When it comes to math, or physics, I will trust his opinion on whats right and wrong.. But with religion and life outside earth, he knows no more than any body else. And i have as much chance as beating him in chess as a kid does beating kobe bryant in a game of 1 on 1...
edit on 19-6-2012 by dayve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
edit: merged with post on next page
edit on 19/6/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join