It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney expresses his support for a Dream Act resolution

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Well so much for the strong anti illegal rhetoric that Romney preached to his choir during the primaries. Looks like he's softening up on the issue that deals with illegal immigrants that were brought in by their parents.

BRUNSWICK, Ohio (AP) — Mitt Romney is refusing to say that he would overturn President Barack Obama’s new policy allowing some young illegal immigrants to stay in the United States. The Republican presidential candidate tells CBS’’ ‘'Face the Nation’’ that if he’s president, Obama’s executive order ‘‘would be overtaken by events ... by virtue of my putting in place a long-term solution.’’

Conservatives, still think Romney is your boy?

Romney was asked three times in the interview if he would overturn Obama’s order, but he didn’t directly answer the question. Instead, he said would work to pass a law to help those young people who were ‘‘brought in by their parents through no fault of their own.’’ Romney said he doesn’t know why Obama ‘‘feels stop-gap measures are the right way to go.’’

The candidate’s comments represent a further softening of his rhetoric on immigration since the GOP primary campaign ended. For example, before the Iowa caucuses in January, when he faced the challenge of winning over the right-wing base of the GOP, he pledged to veto legislation backed by Democrats that would have created a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants brought to the U.S. as children. Instead of emphasizing the plight of illegal immigrants, Romney focused on the consequences illegal immigration has for U.S. jobs.

Flip flopping on issues?

Or just pandering to the Hispanic vote?

Link

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Well, his dad WAS born in Mexico. He may have been too. We've not seen his birth certificate ya know

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
This might have cost him the White House. There is no way the ultra right wing neo cons will approve of these comments and his softening stance on Immigration.

Perhaps he would have had a better shot if he had run as a Democrat?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Guess they'll just have to vote democrat since they've expressed how much they absolutely HATE the idea and it's such a definite deciding factor for them

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Pure BS. Even if Romney was sincere. a GOP led Congress would never bring up such legislation. Then they wouldn't have anybody to blame for the US economic woes.

"He's trying to walk the line," Santorum said of Romney. "He's trying to walk a line as not to sound like he's hostile to Latinos--swing voters--and in very important states. But at the same time, I think you need to hammer the president on this now habitual abuse of power."

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Pure BS. Even if Romney was sincere. a GOP led Congress would never bring up such legislation. Then they wouldn't have anybody to blame for the US economic woes.

"He's trying to walk the line," Santorum said of Romney. "He's trying to walk a line as not to sound like he's hostile to Latinos--swing voters--and in very important states. But at the same time, I think you need to hammer the president on this now habitual abuse of power."

news.yahoo.com...

I smell BS as well...just pandering to the Hispanic vote. The same thing the conservatives accuse Obama of doing. I think that this move by the Obama administration was carefully planned. This now puts Romney in an even tougher spot with Latino voters.

Either you risk alienating yourself more with the Latino voters or you come out as a flip flopper.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

news.yahoo.com...

the GOP won't be leading the congress.... heck, even when they're in the majority, they don't LEAD anything

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
He wont say he will overturn it, but sure as hell once hes elected he will.

Much like I suspect Obama will after the election as well, Obama's campaign promises mean ZERO.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
Well, his dad WAS born in Mexico. He may have been too. We've not seen his birth certificate ya know

Reuters had it up a few weeks ago.

Romney's birth certificate evokes his father's controversy

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

So what makes you so confident Romney will keep his promises? He just flip flopped on something Conservatives are generally strongly against and that's any type of help towards illegals.

But your still going to vote for him right? Because we know Republicans keep all of their promises, even if they flip flop in order to gain voters

This was actually one of the things Obama promised, and that's to help young people that qualify for the Dream Act.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Whaaaaaaaaaaat, I had no clue Romney came to town. I could have trolled all the brain dead Baby Boomers with Obama shirts and I

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

That's a short form birth certificate dated 2012, it's not the original and it's not state verified. That birth certificate is good enough for me though. Considering the standards that birthers (including yourself) mounted on Obama, it's hypocritical for you to take it face value.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Romney was the sane one out of all the GOP could offer this year. I say thank goodness there are still enough straight minded folk in the GOP to vote him above the others.... I can't stand Paul, Santorum or Gingrich. I don't think Romney is all that much different from Obama, however if Romney does get into power the tea partiers may try to run him over....

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

That's definitely Photoshopped. Pixels all over the place.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

That's a short form birth certificate dated 2012, it's not the original and it's not state verified. That birth certificate is good enough for me though. Considering the standards that birthers (including yourself) mounted on Obama, it's hypocritical for you to take it face value.

the quick jump !!

I never said Romney's BC from the Reuters story was real. Reuters apparently is assuming it is.

It says "VOID" all over it too !!

reply to post by RealSpoke

That's definitely Photoshopped. Pixels all over the place.

could be !!

Time to vett Romney !!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Well you never know what those big Elephant glasses you have on will make you see. But I'm glad you at least recognized it said void

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

I never said Romney's BC from the Reuters story was real.

Yet you posted it in reply to another member who stated he didn't see it. You're changing your tune to avoid looking like a hypocrite. Whatever rows your boat I guess.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

This year you get a Democrat or a Democrat. Yay.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

It's so easy to see that's FAKED!!! Romney isn't even a natural born citizen and thinks he's going to get to be POTUS?? sheeesh, deport him!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
He didnt answer because he doesn't want to fall into the trap the pro Obama media has laid out for him and it won't be the last time he gets asked.
It's a trap because no matter how he answers he will taken out of context and the media folks are just salivating.

It's apparently obvious that Obama is just pandeing to a particular group, yet another group that he wants to segregate in order to control.
Judging by the responses, looks like many here are acknowledging that Obama did this the wrong way just for the popularity vote.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join