It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Freemasons around?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSigMason
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

Oh you were serious?! Pardon me... Bwahahaha

Yeah coming from a political science major with focuses in the intelligence operations field . . . but you could only make to the National Guard eh?

LoL

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tobashadow

Originally posted by Saurus
I am a Mason, and here is the complete list of requirements to join:

In order to become a Mason, a candidate must:

- Have a belief in a Supreme Being (The test is a 'yes' or 'no' answer to the question "Do you believe in a Supreme being?")

edit on 18/6/2012 by Saurus because: (no reason given)

This one may be a issue for me, I believe there is something out there but it is not a God of any known human religion.

Why would that be an issue?

They will ask you if you believe in a Supreme Being, and you answer yes or no. It isn't an issue. They won't ask the name of your God, or what you believe, it is just a yes or no answer.

Actually in my state the question is, "Do you believe in one, ever-living creator?" So, it could be mother Gaia or God, or some unnamed pervasive energy element, it won't matter as long as you can honestly answer "yes" to the question.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
Im not sure he even knows WHY he wants to join...except for supposed "secret-society" stuff he's read here and elsewhere. Not a good reason, agreed?

I would concur that if someone was joining because they want to know the 'secrets' it is going to be a giant anticlimactic experience.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
Im not sure he even knows WHY he wants to join...except for supposed "secret-society" stuff he's read here and elsewhere. Not a good reason, agreed?

I would concur that if someone was joining because they want to know the 'secrets' it is going to be a giant anticlimactic experience.

I already said why I wanted to join. I'm looking to improve my character. I've set aside childish notions at this point in my life. I would accept there are things the organization would like to keep under wraps, and that's fine. There are very intriguing aspects that interest me, but i'm not looking to *infiltrate*. I don't believe in a negative New World Order conspiracy theory anymore. I'm willing to give all Freemasons the benefit of the doubt, as I would hope they would be willing to do the same for me.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELectricalApprentice
I already said why I wanted to join. I'm looking to improve my character...I'm willing to give all Freemasons the benefit of the doubt, as I would hope they would be willing to do the same for me.

My response was not directed at you but was more general in nature.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Originally posted by ELectricalApprentice
I already said why I wanted to join. I'm looking to improve my character...I'm willing to give all Freemasons the benefit of the doubt, as I would hope they would be willing to do the same for me.

My response was not directed at you but was more general in nature.

oops! Sorry about that, I should have replied specifically! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Absolutely general in nature, and it's a good thing for you to clarify in case there are others reading this thread, thinking along those lines.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ELectricalApprentice

Good.

All Masons will tell you, "You get out of Masonry in direct proportion to what you put in." That means attention and time, not money. If you join, do your degree work, and never come back, it is quite boring and mundane. If you join, do your degree work and show up for business meetings, it is even MORE boring and mundane. If you join, and learn your catechisms, and work through the chairs, and show up for degree work, and visit with your brethren, and help out brethren in need, and approach it with an open mind, and research the symbolism on your own time, and attempt to bring something meaningful to the Lodge at each meeting, then you will get back all of that and MORE! It can be extremely rewarding in a sense of personal growth, but it won't fall in your lap, as in all things, you have to first seek to give, before you will receive.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Good.

All Masons will tell you, "You get out of Masonry in direct proportion to what you put in." That means attention and time, not money. If you join, do your degree work, and never come back, it is quite boring and mundane. If you join, do your degree work and show up for business meetings, it is even MORE boring and mundane. If you join, and learn your catechisms, and work through the chairs, and show up for degree work, and visit with your brethren, and help out brethren in need, and approach it with an open mind, and research the symbolism on your own time, and attempt to bring something meaningful to the Lodge at each meeting, then you will get back all of that and MORE! It can be extremely rewarding in a sense of personal growth, but it won't fall in your lap, as in all things, you have to first seek to give, before you will receive.

Yea, that' more along the lines of what I imagine would go on should I join, thanks for stating that. I will continue exploring this for sure! If there was one book I could purchase to get started with some background reading, could you narrow it down as such?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I would recommend NOT reading the books, they will only taint your experience. If there was one factual book, it would probably be the Duncan's Ritual and Monitor, but I advise you not to read it until after you've completed your degree work. If you read it ahead of time it will make your experience cheap and boring. The brothers work hard to provide you with the best experience possible, and they try to make it memorable, so just let them do their thing.

If you want my advice on reading for self-enlightenment that can benefit your membership, I'd say read Stephen Covey "7 Habits of Highly Effective People," and Dale Carnegies "How to Win Friends and Influence People." Both very useful books for every day life, common sense solutions, easy reads, and things that you can benefit from immediately. Those types of lessons will benefit you in the same sense Masonry will benefit you.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I would recommend NOT reading the books, they will only taint your experience. If there was one factual book, it would probably be the Duncan's Ritual and Monitor, but I advise you not to read it until after you've completed your degree work. If you read it ahead of time it will make your experience cheap and boring. The brothers work hard to provide you with the best experience possible, and they try to make it memorable, so just let them do their thing.

If you want my advice on reading for self-enlightenment that can benefit your membership, I'd say read Stephen Covey "7 Habits of Highly Effective People," and Dale Carnegies "How to Win Friends and Influence People." Both very useful books for every day life, common sense solutions, easy reads, and things that you can benefit from immediately. Those types of lessons will benefit you in the same sense Masonry will benefit you.

Awesome! Thank you very much. I'll check out those two books. Would you be able to elaborate a little on what exactly you mean by *degree work*?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

The degree work is the process that makes you a Mason. There are 3 "degrees" which are acted out. Each one has a lesson or lecture associated with it. After the 3rd degree you are a full-fledged "Master Mason."

If there is a Lodge near your house, go visit the lodge, if no one is there, there will be a day and time posted for their regular meetings. Show up on that day about an hour before the time, and they will be having a meal. They'll be happy to answer all your questions, provide you with an application, and if you get to meet several of the brothers you won't have any problem getting your application signed.

After they accept your application, they will run a criminal background check, and a committee will interview you to make sure you have a good moral character. If that committee reports back favorably, then they will schedule you for your first degree.

It is quite simple, and they will coach you every step of the way. There is nothing to worry about, and if they give you a hard time or try to create a little stress, then it means they like you and are having some fun with you.

Most of your questions can be answerd on any of the Grand Lodge websites.

Here is the one for my state: Grand Lodge of Florida
edit on 18-6-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

The degree work is the process that makes you a Mason. There are 3 "degrees" which are acted out. Each one has a lesson or lecture associated with it. After the 3rd degree you are a full-fledged "Master Mason."

If there is a Lodge near your house, go visit the lodge, if no one is there, there will be a day and time posted for their regular meetings. Show up on that day about an hour before the time, and they will be having a meal. They'll be happy to answer all your questions, provide you with an application, and if you get to meet several of the brothers you won't have any problem getting your application signed.

After they accept your application, they will run a criminal background check, and a committee will interview you to make sure you have a good moral character. If that committee reports back favorably, then they will schedule you for your first degree.

It is quite simple, and they will coach you every step of the way. There is nothing to worry about, and if they give you a hard time or try to create a little stress, then it means they like you and are having some fun with you.

Most of your questions can be answerd on any of the Grand Lodge websites.

Here is the one for my state: Grand Lodge of Florida
edit on 18-6-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

Excellent! Thanks so much for your reply. I definitely have a better understanding of where I am at, now I just have to work a little more towards where I would like to be! To be, continued!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
how can they be freemasons if 99% of them can't even nail a 2x4, let alone lay stone.

edit on 18-6-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Shhh

edit on 18-6-2012 by porschedrifter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
how can they be freemasons if 99% of them can't even nail a 2x4, let alone lay stone.

edit on 18-6-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

The word "free". You get what you pay for.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

I'm pretty handy with the hammer and trowel, but of course we're speculative Masons not operative ones.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Meeting one no doubt is an awesome experience... however, be mindful you are the bearer of wonders and graces yourself. If you wish to entreat the order... do so. But do it without curiosity and mental reservation.
Know... know you are going to shine!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

My belief in a "Supreme Being" is not really a belief in a person or being and does not include any known profit including Mohammed or Jesus which mean about as much to me as a magician saying magic is real.

I would be a complete full blown atheist but for one large driving fact constantly in the back of my brain.

There is no such thing as infinity it is nothing more then a excuse, and as such there has to be a end to the universe. Think of it as a ball in your hand, the ball has mass and structure and holding it is you which has mass and structure and beyond that is the earth you are on etc.

Take a moment and think of that chain and you will understand.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by losthermit

Well hey, more power to those who show up. I think for me personally, I would feel awkward just showing up and saying, "Hello...." without some prior communication about me and who I am, and just giving some sort of heads-up.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Tobashadow

My belief in a "Supreme Being" is not really a belief in a person or being and does not include any known profit including Mohammed or Jesus which mean about as much to me as a magician saying magic is real.

That sounds a lot like my belief. But as long as you believe in a Creator, and you are not a full-blown atheist, and you can honestly answer affirmatively to the questions when asked, then you can still be a Mason. I know a couple of Buddhist Masons, it hasn't hampered them in any way.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join