It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ottawa airport wired with microphones to record travellers’ conversations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Some news that will be of interest to our Canadian friends and those who travel in Canada, but it is of wider relevance to all who live in the so-called "developed world," where each day brings news of new and more intrusive erosions of privacy (sponsored by big business and big government alike).

Airports seem to be a great place to break in new forms of survalience and get the public used to the idea that they are being watched at all times. Even those who have done nothing wrong at all are forced to monitor themselves in the face of this kind of tech.Being picked up at the airport by an old friend? Better avoid talking about your steamy new relationship or revealing those family tales until you get home. On a business trip? Watch out what you say to your collegue about the delicate negotions underway while you grab a coffee together...never know who among the airport listeners might be getting paid on the side to pass along juicy snippets of buisness conversation, which can turn out to be quite valuable to the right ears. By turning travel into something that involves careful self-monitoring of words and behavior, "they" are sofening us up for more intrusive survalience in other public places, whether "they" realize it or not.

And how much will monitoring airport conversations really effect efforts to capture "the bad guys"? You can be sure any terrorist or smuggler with the slightest degree of professional skill who is passing through a public airport already has a ziplock mouth and is not likely to talk about "the mission" underway or to act suspiciously in public.

This tech itself is just another steam bubble in the slow-frog-boil of the emerging survalience state. It is by training people to monitor themselves that freedom is ultimately defeated, not by catching this or that snippet on tape. When you begin to monitor your own behavior or words "not to seem guilty" even when you are innocent, you have already lost a vital chunk of your freedom, and you aren't getting it back. Airports are a special case and I understand the need for heightened security. But today the airport, tomorrow the mall, the shopping center, and even good old leafy main street itself?

Ottawa airport wired with microphones as Border Services prepares to record travellers’ conversations

Sections of the Ottawa airport are now wired with microphones that can eavesdrop on travellers’ conversations.

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is nearing completion of a $500,000 upgrade of old video cameras used to monitor its new “customs controlled areas,” including the primary inspection area for arriving international passengers.

As part of the work, the agency is introducing audio-monitoring equipment as well.

“It is important to note that even though audio technology is installed, no audio is recorded at this time. It will become functional at a later date,” CBSA spokesman Chris Kealey said in a written statement.

But whenever that occurs, the technology, “will record conversations,” the agency said in a separate statement in response to Citizen questions.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Its OK bud.......Just never say the word
gun, ammo, bomb,molotov,kaboom,Jihad,Osama, wahabi,Allah Ahkbar,martyr, martyrdom,dome of the rock, rock, coke, cartridges,Castro,car bomb IED,CIA,NSA NRO,FBI,DHS,Denver airport,Dulce,drop, dope, Dumb,
Kalashnikov,AK,PKS,SK,KVD,DVD,NBC,and always remember to mumble when you talk.

edit on 17-6-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

It is by training people to monitor themselves that freedom is ultimately defeated, not by catching this or that snippet on tape. When you begin to monitor your own behavior or words "not to seem guilty" even when you are innocent, you have already lost a vital chunk of your freedom, and you aren't getting it back.

This is by far one of the most poignant summations of the death of liberty I've read. Nothing left to say save... WE did this.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
This is among the saddest stories I have heard of in a while. It breaks my heart. What a tragedy that Lady Liberty should die such an ignoble death. I agree completely with your take on this Silent. This world is fast becoming someplace I do not recognize, and more, do not want to.

new topics

join