It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autism 'could be triggered by very low doses of anti-depressants or other chemicals found in water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Source-Daily Mail

Autism in genetically vulnerable people could be triggered by very low levels of chemicals found in the water supply, researchers have discovered.

Experts from the University of Idaho in the US were 'astonished' to find that just traces of common medication such as anti-depressants can bring on the disorder.

They made the discovery by observing the changes in the genetic pathways of fish swimming in water contaminated with psychoactive drugs

Lead scientist Dr Michael Thomas said: 'While others have envisioned a causal role for psychotropic drugs in idiopathic autism, we were astonished to find evidence that this might occur at very low dosages, such as those found in aquatic systems.'

Hmm.. makes sense.. it could easily be a possibility! Autism is sad, as to me it is obvious that something within our environment (either something like this study-in the water, vaccines, any other toxic substance and poison that we ingest in our modern environment)/ There is something or a combination of things responsible for ruining the lives of children who have Autism..
An article from Reuters from March;

(Reuters) - About one in 88 children in the United States has autism or a related disorder, the highest estimate to date and one that is sure to revive a national argument over how the condition is diagnosed and treated.
Reuters

Wow.. 1 in 88!! Thats about one for about every 3-4 average classrooms (give or take 25-30 kids per class)!! Now thats the overall average, here is the breakdwon by sex;

Among boys, the rate of autism spectrum disorders is one in 54, almost five times that of girls, in whom the rate is one in 252
Reuters
One in 54 boys!

the Increase from pervious years??

The estimate released on Thursday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention represents an overall increase of about 25 percent since the last analysis in 2006 and a near-doubling of the rate reported in 2002.
Reuters

Here is a chart from the CDC

CDC-Center for Disease Control

Pretty daming, no? check this out, the rate in 2000 was 6.7/1000 and 2008 11.3/1000, almost double the rate! Possibly up to 20ish/1000 by 2014?!

So if this report has merit, what does the use of antidepressants look like in America?

CDC: Antidepressant use skyrockets 400% in past 20 years

USAToday

Use of antidepressant drugs has soared nearly 400% since 1988, making the medication the most frequently used by people ages 18-44, a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows.
Eleven percent of Americans ages 12 years and older took antidepressants during the 2005-08 study period, the authors write. They add that though the majority of antidepressants were taken to treat depression, the drugs also can be used for anxiety disorders and other conditions

*added- Another great article regarding the increased rates of antidepressants:
Astounding increase in antidepressant use by Americans

well, with rates like that, it is definitely possible that if the report has merit, then it could coincide with the increase of antidepressant use/autism increase.
Here is a good ATS thread regarding a similar report from last year;
Study finds link between autism, antidepressant use during pregnancy

Thoughts?!
edit on 6/17/2012 by Nspekta because: added article

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Autism can be triggered by any one or a number of things; it's partially environmental &/or vaccines but always genetics plays a major role....however I believe there are many Autistic kids & adults out there who were a forceps delivery baby - just one little but too much pressure and the baby will assume symptoms of ASD as it grows - too late - damage done.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This makes more sense than most other theories. Given pregnant moms must stop taking medication, I have to wonder about the effects of taking the medicine while pregnant, and what was observed before making that recommendation.

Stands to reason it would interrupt the serotonin relay being established in a growing fetus. Would be interesting to see whether pharma knew this was a potential outcome of medicating America.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

Most mums of autistic children were NEVER on medications throughout their pregnances; there is also another possibility no one considered....how many had amalgam fillings in poor condition during their pregnancies - I know I did.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

This doesn't have much to do with mothers taking medicine - it has to do with medicine consumed in the drinking water. I brought up pregnant mothers being told to stop their medicine as proof that the medical establishment is aware that there are negative side effects to introducing certain medications to fetuses.

I understand the kneejerk reaction, but I'm sure if you read again closely, you'll understand more about the point being made here.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The autism rate is increasing:

new topics

top topics

join