It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water found on the sun

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2024
reply to post by mainidh

What are they trying to hide...? I think the fact is they just simply don't know.
I say lets send a probe right in to a sunspot and find out

Oo I broke your sarcasm detector

Probe the sun.. Hrmm, well I think it's the Russians that are planning on landing a satellite onto an asteroid in 2029. Maybe they can drop it off on the way back to bomb the sun and find water deposits?!

Worked for the moon!!

*sheds tear for the moon people killed in that terrible thing*

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BohemianBrim

Its actually pretty believable if you understand basic chemistry and physics.

Not to mention, if you actually do any reading on the matter, it pretty well explains how it happens.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

Originally posted by Hawking
So parts of these sunspots are less than 100C or 212F?

Really?

Why is no one reading the article? It's all in the article... It's water vapor for a start..

Agreed. Frustrating as hell to see basic questions asked that are addressed in the article.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Anybody else think of this???

Maybe using the sun/singularity as a Stargate isn't such a crazy idea after all considering its that cool

edit on 17-6-2012 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

??

The sun is continuously fusing heavier and heavier elements, one of them being oxygen. So there will always be a plentiful amount of hydrogen and oxygen on the sun (for the time being) to create water.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
double post
edit on 6/17/2012 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

I didnt read the article but I doubt its, LIQUID water, but more like hydrogen / oxygen bonds

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Well, so we can ask the Sun to send water to quench those stubborn fires around the country. Mother Earth isn't going to help us with our fires anymore. She said she's going to destroy our economy for disrespecting her.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

There is also the possibility of these ionic or polar molecules to be thrown around by magnetic fields. So these water molecules may not be directly on the "surface" of the sun. These water molecules may also be buried deep with clouds of matter that they mentioned. And also dont forget that comets and meteors that crash into the sun can also be carrying water as well.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by mainidh

Originally posted by Hawking
So parts of these sunspots are less than 100C or 212F?

Really?

Why is no one reading the article? It's all in the article... It's water vapor for a start..

Agreed. Frustrating as hell to see basic questions asked that are addressed in the article.

Well whatever it is they're looking at isn't actually water then, is it?

It MIGHT be steam...maybe?

And we've got a thread titled "Water found on the sun."

In no practical sense whatsoever is that water

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
What the hell guys.....

When were there ever plants on the sun to produce oxygen for hydrogen to bond to for even a second to create steam???????

WHY is this being discussed???

Space is a vacuum - NO OXYGEN. PERIOD.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

And we've got a thread titled "Water found on the sun." In no practical sense whatsoever is that water

It is the title of the article on the University site..

1995-05-25 00:00:00

Water found on the sun

University of Waterloo News Bureau

EMBARGOED FOR RELEASE: 6 p.m. EDT May 25, 1995

edit on 17-6-2012 by maxella1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BohemianBrim
i dont think i can believe that.

AMEN. I'm no chemist but I know that water boils when at a certain temperature heat. When the heat is very strong, it starts to evaporate. I'm sure the sun is way way WAY hotter than that. Water would evaporate i think instantaneously on the sun. Even on the surface.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Water vapor separates to hydrogen and oxygen at around 2800C to 3200C+. When hydrogen is anywhere near a flame or spark it will ignite instantaneously. Pure oxygen is also flammable.

Therefore their is NO hydrogen supply on the sun. It would instantly be ignited. you cannot "store" a flammable gas in a big ball of flames. Now their may be hydrogen or water vapor being sucked into the sun, but once it gets there it will be ignited.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Well Water [snide humor] loo University did investigate it, so it must be true.

edit on 17-6-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Originally posted by BohemianBrim
i dont think i can believe that.

Yeah, seriously, I would of found it first.

And with how hot the sun is, it would like totally evaporate.

he said it was vapor.
do you just read threat titles and skip the content in the post?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Well duh, water does turn into vapor the last time I checked.

Have you ever tried boiling it?

I burnt a pot of water.

I know.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
how can this not be true? a scientist said this so who are you guys to say its not? he's a cientist ffs. remember the neutrino? they apparently grabbed one of these thing, so tiny that itll just slip through the cracks of an atom, and threw it hundred of miles away and caught it again with their bare hand. if they can do this, what makes you think they cant say theres water on the sun? cmon, wake up guys, dont be doubting superior intellects like that.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Well, this is where my old school studies have left me in awe again. When I was attending school, we were pretty much taught nothing existed on the sun...especially water. Now I know the article stated vapor/steam, but my ingrained learning says "Shut The Front Door!!!" anyway.

I would love it if they could find a way to study the sun more or more closely. Something we have stared at, depended on, bathed in, and in some instances worshiped.... is still shrouded in tons of mystery.

I love learning these things! S+F OP for teaching me something new today!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen

So these water molecules may not be directly on the "surface" of the sun. These water molecules may also be buried deep with clouds of matter that they mentioned

I'd like to see a molecule of water survive (either on the surface or above it) when bombarded by the sun's intense ultraviolet output.
If water molecules are easily broken in the earth's atmosphere by UV, then large quantities of water molecules in the sun's vicinity doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of remaining in one piece.

The combination of extremely high temps, radiation (alpha, beta, gamma) and UV will all combine to shred individual water molecules into it's constituents of hydrogen and oxygen.

Are these scientists claiming some "new and exotic" physics to allow a water molecule to survive in such an extremely hostile environment ?

Also, if as they claim, a molecule of water CAN survive ... then what about other molecules such as carbon dioxide, ammonia, etc ? Can they exist as well ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join