It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Earth really spinning??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
After a simple explanation and focus on the theory itself, I have my simple answer.. thank the Ats members for giving me the obvious answer, and making me feeel silly about this whole thing

~ Love is an art
edit on 17-6-2012 by LoveisanArt because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2012 by LoveisanArt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
the earth is spinning, and so is the atmosphere....so the hovering ball idea is bunk. If the earth were not spinning, one side would always be dark and the other would always be light

good luck

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
You are on an air plane going 600 MPH. You toss a book to the passenger beside you. Does it catch it or does it fly to the back of the plane at 600 MPH?

Well he catches it of course.

You are in your car going down the road at 60 MPH, You toss a passenger a book. Does he catch it or does it going flying back at 60 MPH?

He catches it of course.

The same thing with your question.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Yes so true! ... wow cant belive I missed that.. too much basketball in my mind right now.. Thank you and the poster above for clearifying, I see where my mind was not registering xD .. and I wasted some time typing up here in between commercials

Thanks for your response

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Yes I should of thought about the night sky, Im a sky gazer anyways -_- ... I watch the stars and galaxy rotate by as I lay there gazing.. so the Earth cannot be still lol..

Thanks peeeps

link   
Wow, people truly are getting stupider (the YouTuber, not you OP).

It's a simple answer really. The earth is rotating at about 1,000mph. Just because you take a helicopter, for example, and "hover" at 10,000ft while moving 0kts (helicopter's "apparent" speed, relative to movement across the earth) in any direction, you are still constrained by the gravitational field of the earth and still moving at the speed which you were originally moving while on the earth's surface (1,000mph)

Newton's first law is: Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

The helicopter will never stop moving at that original speed until it decides to move in any direction, thereby acting against the force of the original speed.

Please don't let idiots like that Youtuber convince you of crap theories like that...

link   
There is no reason to lie about something like that... Simple as that.

The people who think everything has to be a lie, just because, get very annoying.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I think low budget experiments and bible references should of been enough for me to shrug his stupid theory off.. my mind was elsewhere (Heat/thunder) while trying to understand what this guy was exlpaining.

~ Love is an art

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

take it easy guy.. I was just confused because I wasnt putting enough attention into the theory ..

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ArrowsNV

hahah
.. thank you for the laugh !

Yes .. **Note to self: dont look at the recommended list on youtube**

Thank you as well my friend. Its fair enough I feeel as stupid as the youtuber guy..

**logs off and watches the rest of the series**

~ Love is an art

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LoveisanArt

Our moon does rotate, it is in synchronous rotation with earth, Saturn also has a moon that does this.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Amazing video

I like how the sky seems to "open up" to reveal space after sunset. And I always love seeing the Milky Way

To the OP - Yes, the Earth, Moon and even the Sun are all rotating.

And a hovering object is held in a geosynchronous orbit, therefore it will not appear to move, though it is traveling 1,000 mph or whatever it is WITH the Earth.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I think the atmosphere and or gravity has something to do with it also because I would think that a hovering helicopter should eventually lose its inertia, allowing the earth to start passing beneath it.

And a hovering object is held in a geosynchronous orbit, therefore it will not appear to move, though it is traveling 1,000 mph or whatever it is WITH the Earth.

Ah, yep that answers that

edit on 17-6-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

There's a theory that suggests the earth isn't rotating? Come on, really? If you don't think the earth is rotating then try this on for size... get a camera, point it at the night sky and hit record. Come back later and see the earth not rotate.

Starry Night Timelapse

Night Timelapse video in Saas-Fee - Switzerland

Camera : Olympus c-5060WZ + B-HLD20 + Timer + AC Adapter
Date : Night of 27 to 28 December 2011
Music : Sountrack IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON "The Eagle has wings"

The night part Timelapse is a sequence of 40sec exposure at 800 ISO
Hope you enjoy it. Thanks for watching.

Here's a fun, and free, program called Stellarium to educate those on a rotating earth, star constellations, and more, www.stellarium.org...
edit on 17-6-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
No, I don't think it is.

I'm not getting dizzy yet...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

No, everything rotates around the earth, which is flat.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

I think the atmosphere and or gravity has something to do with it also because I would think that a hovering helicopter should eventually lose its inertia, allowing the earth to start passing beneath it.

Ah, yep that answers that

edit on 17-6-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)
Actually no, it wouldn't, as the helicopter would have no inertia relative to the observer or the earth. It would be, as stated above by another poster, in a geosynchronous orbit. From the heli's point of view and an observer's point of view on the ground it would seem as though it were not moving. But if you were to observe it from a stationary point in space somehow, it would be moving @ 1,000mph along with the earth's rotation.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
think about it, if the earth were really spinning that fast how are we still able to stick to the surface? would we be thrown off? UNLESS we are in fact on the inside of the earth and the centrifugal force from it spinning is keeping us on the ground. OMG I DID IT GUYS GRAVITY IS SOLVED

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

Then perhaps you can help me......

edit on 18-6-2012 by DoctorMobius because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join