It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom is a gift never forget that

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Its not just the freedom to elect your officials or the freedom to let your voice be heard

Its the freedom to walk without being in pain its the freedom to walk down your street without worrying about being shot at. Its the freedom to know were your next meal is coming from its the freedom to live in peace

Its also the ability to go to awesome movies play the sport that you love.Read your favorite novel be free with your friends travel have epic adventures daydream be with the one you love spend time with your family or just do any awesome activity that makes you happy

Think about everything you enjoy doing know just imagine how easily it can be taken away all it takes is one drunk idiot with a car and your life can change forever all it takes is just one mistake and your entire life can change all it takes is just one simple decision whether it be yours or someone else and everything you love and care about can be taken away. for example a few years ago my grandpa committed suicide because of his decision me and everyone in my family lost the freedom to spend time with him and see his face again all it takes is just one simple action and everything you know can change
edit on 17-6-2012 by ninjas4321 because: spelling

edit on 17-6-2012 by ninjas4321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Freedom is also a gift one can use to give and/or act in a selfless manor, not just enhance your own life/experience.
edit on 17-6-2012 by HomeBrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Freedom is not a gift. Freedom is inseparable from life itself. You are born with no say in the matter, and you die with no say in the matter. What is in between is life, and freedom is the essence of life. People should be be able to do whatever they want during the fleeting moments of their inescapably short lives. To be born, to live, and to die on someone else's terms is just illogical and nonsensical. Why live at all if you do not live for yourself?

I'm sorry about your grandpa. Suicide is not the ideal way to go. But he did exercise his right to end his own life. You may not be able to see him again, but rights are not always fair.

I have a right to own a gun. You have a right to live. Very often do these two rights combat each other. One often wins over the other. The end game is still the same. We all die, and unless we are some super famous person, of cousin to a super famous person, of best friend to a super famous person, chances are we are just going to fade away into the sands of time. Everyone knows the beach, but not the grains of sand.

When it comes down to it, you gotta live a life you are comfortable dying with.
edit on 17-6-2012 by SubPop79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Really, your own long-term responses to life are your true freedom. You can't choose what people do to you, and often you couldn't prevent it by might. your initial reaction is controlled by Biology, but what you DWELL upon? That's up to you.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
freedom is illusion

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I know that freedom is only how you perceive it, but there is no true freedom.

Taxes are not freedom. Laws are not freedom.

Like my signature implies: If you think you're free, try leaving the planet. You can't even do that freely.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
"You are born with no say in the matter, and you die with no say in the matter. What is in between is life, and freedom is the essence of life. "

Life is birth, aging, death, and then rebirth, you have no say in the matter. Where is the freedom in that? Freedom is but an abstract concept that the suffering man dreams and philosophizes about. If you spend your time trying to find freedom, you will cause your self more suffering and stress. If you spend your time trying to transcend your suffering, you will inadvertently find freedom.

Peace

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
nevermind...
edit on 17-6-2012 by HomeBrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
When I was a young kid, I had a digital watch. It was not a fancy one, it just told time. I asked my dad how come other people have all these fancy watches with games on them (going back 30+ years, they weren't so much games as they were silly digital animations that moved when you hit buttons) and he told me:

The more complex the watch is, the more things to go wrong with it, and the harder it is to fix.

I consider life the exact same. If you fill your life with petty things and come to rely on them, then you consider freedom a gift, and not something inherent to the fact you wake up each day.

When your entire world can come crashing down because of the actions of another, you have not realised that freedom is a gift, but that you've sold your freedom for the life you live. You pay the price.

When the more complex your life, and more you put into it that can go wrong, the harder you will live.

If you have nothing except your freedom then you can not have that taken away from you no matter what. That is true freedom. And it is not governed by the things you have in life, that you sold your freedom for.
edit on 17-6-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

A+

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

I never said freedom was happiness.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

You cannot transcend suffering. As soon as you do, as such human nature is, you find more suffering. Suffering is not something to remove. It is something to accept. As soon as you accept suffering as normal, then you can move forward. Then you can attain freedom.

Constantly trying to fight or ignore internal suffering, means to constantly be in struggle. That does not lead to freedom but mental and emotional fatigue.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Constantly trying to fight or ignore internal suffering, means to constantly be in struggle. That does not lead to freedom but mental and emotional fatigue.

Where in my post did you read anything close to this? The rest of your disagreements are mere semantics.

Suffering is bondage. Therefore if we transcend suffering then we transcend our bondage. Freedom is just an abstract concept created by some philosopher you read, it is not a fact. Suffering is the fact. There is nothing to fight or struggle in this, I don't know where you got that idea from. You accept this, completely, with all your awareness. Look at it as if it is all that exists, because it is. There is then no more room for suffering to move about because now the mind is whole and not fragmented with ideas of becoming something else, which is what causes our suffering. This is transcending suffering. Suffering is real. Transcending suffering is real. Freedom is just a word we associate to the result of this transcendence, but in actuality when suffering is transcended then there are no words worthy of describing what is left.

You cannot transcend suffering. As soon as you do, as such human nature is, you find more suffering.

This does not make any sense, read it again.

reply to post by SubPop79

Never said you did, friend.

edit on 17-6-2012 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ninjas4321

Freedom is free-WILL it is being about to make your OWN choices. This is not a "gift", this is a birthright. If a person suicide, they didn't take away your freedom. They chose their action with their own freedom. Freedom is YOU being able to make YOUR OWN actions.

new topics

top topics

join