It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP on Healthcare: Repeal Quickly, Replace Slowly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
story from NewsMax
17 Jun 2012

GOP on Healthcare: Repeal Quickly, Replace Slowly

Some Republicans are talking about what to do with ObamaCare whether the whole shebang gets struck down, or parts of it do, or it stands.

Sounds like they have a plan.

The White House and HHS and Democrats have said they have no backup plans at all !!

Perhaps a bit too over confident ?

Republicans are looking at some recent announcements by insurance companies that indicate they may keep some of the policies regardless of the Supreme Court ruling. (assuming those would still be "legal")

Republicans say: repeal and replace slowly.

Perhaps that's a better approach (assuming ObamaCare stays)

Details in the article.

confident ?

Congressional Republicans intend to seek quick repeal of any parts of the healthcare law that survive a widely anticipated Supreme Court ruling, but don't plan to push replacement measures until after the fall elections or perhaps 2013.

Instead, GOP lawmakers cite recent announcements that some insurance companies will retain a few of the law's higher-profile provisions as evidence that quick legislative action is not essential. Those are steps that officials say Republicans quietly urged in private conversations with the industry.

Once the Supreme Court issues a ruling, "the goal is to repeal anything that is left standing," said Sen. John Barrasso, R-Wyo., a member of the party's leadership.

Beyond that, "we ought to go step by step to lower the cost" of healthcare, he added, a formula repeated by numerous other Republicans interviewed in recent days.

not so "realistic" ?

Across the political aisle, neither President Barack Obama nor congressional Democrats have said how they will react to a high court ruling that could wipe out the legislation they worked so hard to enact.

"We're not spending a whole bunch of time planning for contingencies," Obama said this spring at the annual meeting of The Associated Press. He expressed confidence the court would uphold the law, and neither he nor his aides have said what fallback plans are under discussion.

The ObamaCare law has no "severability" clause.

It got "edited" out near the end of the debates.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
A brilliant strategy.

Repeal everything Obama does because he's Obama. Fight everything the Democrats do because they're democrats.

But the Republicans will take their time "solving" the healthcare crisis, while thousands of American citizens go uninsured. I wonder what Mitt Romney would do if he took office, considering his own Massachusetts healthcare plan was basically identical to Obama's.

When will the political backstabbing and partisan bickering end? When will our elected leaders start caring for the people who elected them? Why is the United States still the only 1st world country that doesn't provide adequate health services to all of its citizens?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Repeal everything OBama has done because they have been total failures.

Anyone stopped to think what the left repealed and replaced when they had their 2 years of free reign?

Of course not.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Obamacare hasn't even gone into effect yet.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

The agenda of the republicans is to just play games and repeal everything the Democrats and Obama get done because they are Democrats.

Remember how some GOP leader said that their goal was just to embarrass the Obama Administration and make him a one term president?

But what do you expect from the party that has deliberately sabotaged the Economy in order to make the Obama Administration look bad?
They don't care about anyone other than the wealthy corporations.
edit on 6/17/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/17/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Yeah it has parts of it like how kids are covered under their mommy and daddys insurance til 26

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Yeah it has parts of it like how kids are covered under their mommy and daddys insurance til 26

In today's economy there are many more kids living at home till they are that age and older.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

And the problem with this is?

With 53% of college students graduating unemployed, college costs increasing at a record rate, and student loan debt the highest its ever been, do you really think it's so terrible to allow parents to keep their kids on their family plan?

I don't understand this obsession with preventing people from having health coverage. I understand not wanting to spend more than you already are, but did you know the US already spends more per capita than any other country in the world? ( source )That's right, you're already paying a larger percentage of your tax dollars for healthcare than most people living in countries with free healthcare.

But no. Not those damn dems. Screw the sick and the uninsured. It's all about stopping Obama at any cost.

edit on 17-6-2012 by drwizardphd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Healthcare.gov has a good reference bar to see what is already in effect.

mouseover the checkmarks to see --> What’s Changing and When
(click to see details of those parts)

One thing they don't report is all the

Corruption !

edit on Jun-17-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

In today's economy there are many more kids living at home till they are that age and older.

I do not call a 26 year old a kid nor a 25 year old or 24, or 23,or 22, or 21.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I'm not usually on Neo's side, however, on this one point... I am not at all pleased that I now have to (I mean, am allowed to) cover my kids' medical insurance until they are 26 years old.

When I was 26, I was employed full time and raising both of my children, aged 5 years old and 1 year old, at the time.

I figure, about the time I finally finish paying for my children to go to college, stop covering their medical insurance, and generally get my life back, I will have about ten years left to work before I can retire, and then take on the full responsibility for my aging parents. Ah well, at least they will appreciate the effort.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

'

Some other people do 26 year old, enough time to graduate, and find a job and still have years left over and pay their own way in life.

With 53% of college students graduating unemployed, college costs increasing at a record rate, and student loan debt the highest its ever been, do you really think it's so terrible to allow parents to keep their kids on their family plan?

So people would rather have free education and free insurance than having a job glad we sorted that out, and seem Obama agrees hence the take over of more education loans that account for 1 trillion dollars at the moment and done absolutely nothing to create jobs in this country, but hold education and healthcare over their heads for a poll bounce.

I don't understand this obsession with preventing people from having health coverage.

Nice hyperbole never had any problems whatsoever in 40 years to get health insurance most jobs provide it now and for the ones that do not there is still private health insurance, medicare,and medicaid and free clinics, and hospitals never turn anyone away from receiving care.

I understand not wanting to spend more than you already are, but did you know the US already spends more per capita than any other country in the world?

The way healthcare works in this country is people aren't using it to pay for those who are,and considering a person can go 10 to 20 even 30 years without ever needing healthcare coverage they are paying for nothing the majority of the time.

Overwhelm the healthcare system and turn in to the government's version of it medicare and medicaid where more people using it than paying in to it compounded by age progression.

That's right, you're already paying a larger percentage of your tax dollars for healthcare than most people living in countries with free healthcare.

I do not give a ratts behind what other countries do if people hate this country so much they know where the door is.

But no. Not those damn dems. Screw the sick and the uninsured. It's all about stopping Obama at any cost.

Yeah those damn democrats making people pay for something they already could afford they would have, but not now it's a federal law.

And save the harps about the poor little healthcareless people they do not give a ratts behind about the people they only give a crap about what keeps them in power via their vote.

Rather sad in my opinion that people could be bought off so cheap.
edit on 17-6-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Just goes to show the fundamental difference between Democrats and Republicans. Where the Democrats want to expand government at an ever rapid pace, Republicans want to do this "slowly". No matter how slowly this is done, it is too quick as it shouldn't be done at all.

Just because the masses are so insane as to equate an insurance policy with health care doesn't mean government has to had over the keys and let the inmates run the asylum. Insurance policies are insurance policies and health care is health care. Insurance policies will not keep people healthy, health care will.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Aren't you scared to death that the Loony Luminaries and Fibrillating Palpitating Foaming-at-the-Mouth Ultra-Liberal Super Left Wing Fanatical Radical Communist Fascist Marxist Corporatists will take over the country and wreck what's left of a normal life ?

You need to be.

It's happening slowly but surely.

The donkey economics won't work.

It's too KooKoo

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

You aren't overly bright then, because no one is forcing you to keep your kids on your healthcare plan until they are that old. It is just an option for those that wish to. Which is a good thing even better would be to have made it so that you could have your parents on your plan if you lived in the same household.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I think the problem most people have with it stems from the "Atlas Shrugged" mentality. "I got mine and "forget" you". People want what they see as "theirs" and no one else matters. It's a very selfish mentality and doesn't work in our society of imperfect human beings. We all need help sometimes.

The GOP has been bitching and crying since Obama handed them their ass in the last election. That's their campaign strategy. "Get rid of Obama." They think that's all they need, so when asked specifics, the answer is "We'll deal with that later - don't worry about it - let's get the scary guy out." And the stupid people are falling for it. :shk: We won't have a clue what Romney's going to do until he gets in office and the real problems start. You think money plays a big part in this election, wait till Romney gets elected and the issues in this country are solved by a small group of people who have the most money. (not that I think Romney's going to win, but it's certainly possible... I wouldn't put it past this electorate.)

Interesting times...

I find it amazing that these same people were the ones who criticized Obama for

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar
I am not at all pleased that I now have to (I mean, am allowed to) cover my kids' medical insurance until they are 26 years old.

You're not pleased that you have the freedom to choose? I don't get it. If you don't want to cover your kids, don't cover them. Tell them to get their own damn insurance.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Instead, GOP lawmakers cite recent announcements that some insurance companies will retain a few of the law's higher-profile provisions as evidence that quick legislative action is not essential.

They will retain it until after the election. Remember, these are the same companies that have employees looking for loopholes to deny needed medical procedures to it's customers. These are companies where human life is a just a risk factor/profit number to them.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar

I'm not usually on Neo's side, however, on this one point... I am not at all pleased that I now have to (I mean, am allowed to) cover my kids' medical insurance until they are 26 years old.

When I was 26, I was employed full time and raising both of my children, aged 5 years old and 1 year old, at the time.

I figure, about the time I finally finish paying for my children to go to college, stop covering their medical insurance, and generally get my life back, I will have about ten years left to work before I can retire, and then take on the full responsibility for my aging parents. Ah well, at least they will appreciate the effort.

Sorry Benevolent. You already stated the obvious
Hold on. The law doesn't mandate that they must fall under your plan. Only that you may continue to have them provided for under your insurance if they do not have their own.
If you are a tough parent and God bless you if you are (we need more of you), tell them that you're not paying for them any longer. Simple as that.
edit on 18-6-2012 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

top topics

join