It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maple trees dropping leaves left and right, (Part Two).

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

What condition is your soil in?
Does it hold water well?
Is it like dust when it is dry?
Do you have a lot of earthworms?

Your soil may be dead...and it may be part of your problem.
I'll let you do your own research, but inorganic fertilizers robe the soil of live and nutrients.

We switched to organics a few years ago.
It is more expensive, but we use it less frequently. We can also get by with less watering.
We also added liquid humus to the soil the first year...

The lawn and plants are stronger and better able to withstand the ravages of summer heat and dryness.
My husband cannot believe the change.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
trees here are going to start dropping leaves due to heat stress. the summers are getting worse and i think this is the new normal. i hate it. last year we had over 60 days with 100+ temps and we normally average 13 days. the 100's have started as of today and i have no idea if it will let up for the rest of the summer. i doubt it. we're not getting any rain either.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
reply to post by Iwinder

What condition is your soil in?
Does it hold water well?
Is it like dust when it is dry?
Do you have a lot of earthworms?

Your soil may be dead...and it may be part of your problem.
I'll let you do your own research, but inorganic fertilizers robe the soil of live and nutrients.

We switched to organics a few years ago.
It is more expensive, but we use it less frequently. We can also get by with less watering.
We also added liquid humus to the soil the first year...

The lawn and plants are stronger and better able to withstand the ravages of summer heat and dryness.
My husband cannot believe the change.

Thanks for the tips on the organic fertilizer and we will certainly research it toot sweet :-)
Our soil here is very good for drainage as it is all sand below and we have about a foot a or so of good top soil on top.

"We also added liquid humus to the soil the first year..."........
Now that statement above really caught my attention, this we will try for sure.
But the whole thing here is we know what we are doing in our yard and we have done so for so many years without any problems.
The real problems started two years ago and it is just getting worse here.

Remember the threads about no Tomatoes?
We strive to grow our own here but it is getting really hard to reap any food from what we sow.
Anyways thanks for your input and ideas, we will certainly look into what you mentioned here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae
trees here are going to start dropping leaves due to heat stress. the summers are getting worse and i think this is the new normal. i hate it. last year we had over 60 days with 100+ temps and we normally average 13 days. the 100's have started as of today and i have no idea if it will let up for the rest of the summer. i doubt it. we're not getting any rain either.

Thanks for the information, are you in the Texas area?
I know it is bad there from reading the threads here on it.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

I wasn't sure how into gardening you are...and that is really weird about the tomatoes...I hope you get some answers.

Now last year, our trees were a little weird here, but only after the July heat wave.
And the tomatoes and cukes had a really bad year...but I thought that had more to do with teh very wet May we had.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
reply to post by Iwinder

I wasn't sure how into gardening you are...and that is really weird about the tomatoes...I hope you get some answers.

Now last year, our trees were a little weird here, but only after the July heat wave.
And the tomatoes and cukes had a really bad year...but I thought that had more to do with teh very wet May we had.

I don't have any answers for anything here, that is why I posted this thread but I can tell you something is off and it is off big time.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
www.extension.umn.edu...
www.treeboss.net...
www.wildflower.org...

'' If your maple is growing in an alkaline soil, the roots may be unable to access the magnesium in the soil, and thus become nitrogen deficient.''

Iwinder some topsoil on a sand base sounds suspiciously akaline to me.

The article also remarks that maples don't take urban stress well. Sure they may do well for a number of yrs, but then things become cumulative, and the tree falters. It may be you are not taking soil samples deep enough and are getting deceptive readings?

The US extention offices routinely do soil testing....no reason not to give it a try an see if you get more comprehensive results.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caver78
www.extension.umn.edu...
www.treeboss.net...
www.wildflower.org...

'' If your maple is growing in an alkaline soil, the roots may be unable to access the magnesium in the soil, and thus become nitrogen deficient.''

Iwinder some topsoil on a sand base sounds suspiciously akaline to me.

The article also remarks that maples don't take urban stress well. Sure they may do well for a number of yrs, but then things become cumulative, and the tree falters. It may be you are not taking soil samples deep enough and are getting deceptive readings?

The US extention offices routinely do soil testing....no reason not to give it a try an see if you get more comprehensive results.

Wow thanks for the links and the knowledge there Caver! I will read this through and through for sure.
I really mean thank you for this, it just might be the problem here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Caver78

If I had to go with anything here Your #1 Link would most certainly fit the bill here, Everything fits as in top soil on top of sand.

The only thing that does not fit is our tree doctor telling us it is heat stress.

Regardless of who is correct here I truly thank you for this great information.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Caver78

If I had to go with anything here Your #1 Link would most certainly fit the bill here, Everything fits as in top soil on top of sand.

The only thing that does not fit is our tree doctor telling us it is heat stress.

Regardless of who is correct here I truly thank you for this great information.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Take a look at your great lakes radar, a storm seems to be spinning over Michigan maybe this has something to do with it. Check to see witch side of your home has windows that are wet. Storms never never ever come from anywhere but the west. this maybe makeing the trees confused.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPYvsSPY
reply to post by Iwinder

Take a look at your great lakes radar, a storm seems to be spinning over Michigan maybe this has something to do with it. Check to see witch side of your home has windows that are wet. Storms never never ever come from anywhere but the west. this maybe makeing the trees confused.

Funny you should mention that because as of now our storms are hitting from all sides and I do mean all sides.
Within the past year the popular direction of our local storms are from the North East or straight East.

Not what we are used to that is for sure, not the norm.

Regards, Iwinder

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join