It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maple trees dropping leaves left and right, (Part Two).

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
With Photographs kindly posted by Des for me I present the following thread, this is not imagination gone wild nor is it a fluke because this is the second year running for this problem.
I have no idea what this might be but I am all ears to any and all posters here.

Some of you here might remember my thread last year about our Maples dropping leaves.
Link below....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well I tried to add to that thread last night without much success as it is an old thread and old news to most people.
The reason I am starting a new thread is simple, it is happening again here and it is not even the first day of summer yet.

I cut the lawn on Thursday and noticed a few crunchy leaves here and there and thought to myself " I better keep an eye on this"

By Saturday it looked like a bomb went off in the yard, so we grabbed the camera and took some photographs.

I am a complete idiot when it comes to uploading photographs here on ATS and if anyone is willing to post them for me please U2 me and I will mail them straight off to you.

Last year when this happened the possible reasons were many and varied, drought/heat stress/insects/old and dieing trees/ etc......

We have lived here in this home for almost 20 years and our trees are our babies, nothing is better than sitting under a Maple on a summer day.

We did have an tree doctor look at them last year and he said it was heat stress, Well this year so far we have not had any really hot days that were killer's yet.

This is the second year in a row for this problem and to any new readers here I suggest you check out the first thread posted above just to get familiar with what this thread is all about.

I personally have lived in this city all of my 50 + years and worked cutting grass and landscaping since I was 14 years old.

Never have I witnessed what I saw last year and now starting this year in all my life.

Some things keep getting mentioned to us here and one is the Japan situation and yes we are in the direct flow of the Jet stream here in Southern Ontario.

What I hate to do but I will now in this case is speculate just a bit here, keep in mind we spend all day and every day in our yard weather permitting that is.

If I was forced to pick a culprit under oath I would say it is solar damage ...(SUN) but that is pure speculation on my part here..

Anyways we know for sure there is something wrong with our Maples and if you read the original post you will find news links that back that up.
The problem for us here is there are no real solid answers yet.

Please keep and eye on your Maples and feel free to add to this thread.
Regards, Iwinder

edit on 17-6-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

thats very sad! A lot of things are happening that "seem to have never happened before" it sure is getting hotter outside every year. I do hope its nothing bad thats happening to the trees cause i too love sitting under them on a warm day!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
There is heat and then there is the radio particles the Sun exerts on us. Just over the past week there have been two incidences of earth bound CME's and the most recent was a double CME.

I stayed indoors as much as I could yesterday (Saturday, 16) as anyone should. I bet the trees are acting on the already existing drought everywhere or the trigger that tells them like the Sun in a heatwave. The tree is actually conserving water during a summer dormancy. Places like Arkansas are all too familiar with bare forests in the middle of the summer from summer dormancy.

OK, well, I hope your trees are fine! Keep them watered as they likely drink a ton of water when they can.

edit on 6/17/2012 by Greensage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
There is heat and then there is the radio particles the Sun exerts on us. Just over the past week there have been two incidences of earth bound CME's and the most recent was a double CME.

I stayed indoors as much as I could yesterday (Saturday, 16) as anyone should. I bet the trees are acting on the already existing drought everywhere or the trigger that tells them like the Sun in a heatwave. The tree is actually conserving water during a summer dormancy. Places like Arkansas are all too familiar with bare forests in the middle of the summer from summer dormancy.

OK, well, I hope your trees are fine! Keep them watered as they likely drink a ton of water when they can.

edit on 6/17/2012 by Greensage because: (no reason given)

Yeah we have a well here just for our trees and gardens and the water is free so we make sure they get a lot of water.

Thanks for adding to this thread.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnnycashed
reply to post by Iwinder

thats very sad! A lot of things are happening that "seem to have never happened before" it sure is getting hotter outside every year. I do hope its nothing bad thats happening to the trees cause i too love sitting under them on a warm day!

Great post and thanks for it, yeah you can't beat a shady tree on a hot day but if this is like last year here we will have no shade here in a month or so.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Last year our single very OLD maple dropped it's leaves in mid spring (central Illinois). This year it is doing great. Both years were rather dry and mild winters, no insect problems. Noticed the same on some other maples in the neighborhood

About the solar possibility, it may be due to some meds (not listed as side effects) I take, but the sun/sky seems much brighter. For the first time in my life I have to shade my eyes or sneeze like crazy.
edit on 17-6-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Is it just the maples, or other tree varieties too?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by oghamxx
Last year our single very OLD maple dropped it's leaves in mid spring (central Illinois). This year it is doing great. Both years were rather dry and mild winters, no insect problems. Noticed the same on some other maples in the neighborhood

Same here, 3 of our maples are not even 15 years old and the other one is about 20 years old.
interesting, the front maple is dropping leaves right now and it is the oldest, the back ones are just starting to curl up a bit right now but I see a lot of raking coming up very soon.

Thanks for the post,
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Can you really not upload photos? It's not very hard. Even if you just upload them to a site like imgur.com, you can still link them here. If they are on your comp's desktop, all you need to do is a few clicks and they will be online.

Are any of the other trees in your neighborhood showing similar signs of distress?

Sounds like your trees are not well.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
Is it just the maples, or other tree varieties too?

For last year and now this year is appears to be mostly Maples, but if you see some other type doing this please chime in here.
Thanks for the post
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage

If that were the case, s/he would be seeing it on all surrounding vegetation as well.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
reply to post by Iwinder

Can you really not upload photos? It's not very hard. Even if you just upload them to a site like imgur.com, you can still link them here. If they are on your comp's desktop, all you need to do is a few clicks and they will be online.

Are any of the other trees in your neighborhood showing similar signs of distress?

Sounds like your trees are not well.

Yep I am truly an idiot when it comes to uploading photographs here on ATS.....:-)

The problem is our trees are very healthy here, I mean spoiled, please take the time to read the first thread if you can.

Thanks for adding to this thread here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Iwinder...here are the photos you emailed me....Des

Des

edit on 17-6-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Did your Maple Trees bloom earlier than usual???

I think they're a bit like people - they get so many heart beats and then ..........

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks so much DES and I apologize for the quality of them but I think people will get the idea, that is a lot of leaves for not even summer yet.

Last year about 4 weeks from now I was raking up 4 bags a day front and back, by fall the trees that should have been vibrant yellow and red and orange were completely bare.
Thanks for posting what I am incapable of posting.....LOL

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup
Did your Maple Trees bloom earlier than usual???

I think they're a bit like people - they get so many heart beats and then ..........

Not at all, everything was on schedule here for a normal spring/ early summer and now this again.....

I tell you something is off and it is off big time, check out the first thread posted in my OP and there are news clips in there about this very same thing last year all over Ontario.
Thanks for posting and your thoughts too.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

You are welcome Iwinder. You may want to amend your OP, that your pics are now in the thread. They look fine to me.

Des

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Excellent pics, they are prime specimens of a Never-Blooming Droopiconious, often referred to the Drop Leafed Maple, commonly found in the Dead Woods of California; they are staging a comeback in Southern Ontario.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Thanks for the five up the side of my head :-)
Done it is.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic

Excellent pics, they are prime specimens of a Never-Blooming Droopiconious, often referred to the Drop Leafed Maple, commonly found in the Dead Woods of California; they are staging a comeback in Southern Ontario.

Was your post sarcasm or serious?
Did you read even the first page of the original thread posted in the OP?

I have no idea how to respond to a post like this, any takers here?
Regards, iwinder

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join