US-enlists Britains help to stop ship carrying Russian attack hellicopters to Syria.

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk... html

Well this is certainly a provocative act and a very misleading headline.This shipment is for one thing legal under international law.Second it has been disclosed that this shipment is only helicopter parts and munitions.The articles title is fearmongering and provocative.If anyone intercepts this shipment,it will not be looked upon kindly by Russia.Don't poke a bear,it will only end badly.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

The US is very good at poking

It's about time we get poked back.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Difficult to comment on this issue, without knowing more, as the " Telegraph " article won't open...?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk... html Funny the link won't work.

The MV Alaed, a Russian-operated cargo vessel, is currently thought to be sailing through the North Sea after allegedly picking up a consignment of munitions and MI25 helicopters - known as "flying tanks" - from the Russian Baltic port of Kaliningrad.
Washington, which last week condemned Moscow for continuing to arm the Syrian regime, has asked British officials to help stop the Alaed delivering its alleged cargo by using sanctions legislation to force its London-based insurer to withdraw its cover.

Under the terms of the current European Union arms embargo against Syria, imposed in May last year, there is a ban on the "transfer or export" of arms and any related "brokering" services such as insurance. Withdrawal of a ship's insurance cover would make it difficult for it legally to dock elsewhere and could force it to return the cargo to port.

edit on 17-6-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

So, there wasn't a threat to physically attack / stop the Russian cargo vessel, as such, it was to persuade the British insurers to withdraw insurance cover, and all that that would imply. The emotive headline of the post made it easy to misinterpret the situation...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith

Difficult to comment on this issue, without knowing more, as the " Telegraph " article won't open...?

www.telegraph.co.uk... html

Strange,have tried again.If this does not work try search worldnews/middle east on the offical site www.telegraph.co.uk.Sorry don't know what else to do.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith

So, there wasn't a threat to physically attack / stop the Russian cargo vessel, as such, it was to persuade the British insurers to withdraw insurance cover, and all that that would imply. The emotive headline of the post made it easy to misinterpret the situation...

That is not fair or correct! The article I linked said nothing of the sort,nothing about insurance.It said forcibly stop.The title of my post is the title of the article as per ATS rules.This may explain the problem with the link,prehaps they shifted and modified it.Kindly refrain from flaming the messanger.

edit on 17-6-2012 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The Telegraph is a pretty awful paper. It writes something provocative as a headline to get readers to open it and then backs up its claim with very little evidence.

I would not take this seriously. I don't see the US risking this kind of international law outrage to try and show how "serious" they are about protecting Syrian civilians.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
The Telegraph is a pretty awful paper. It writes something provocative as a headline to get readers to open it and then backs up its claim with very little evidence.

I would not take this seriously. I don't see the US risking this kind of international law outrage to try and show how "serious" they are about protecting Syrian civilians.

Attempting to have insurance withdrawn would have been my first rung on a ladder of escalation.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Ship 'carrying Russian attack helicopters to Syria' halted off Scotland

The UK has made moves to stop a cargo vessel allegedly carrying refurbished Russian-made attack helicopters from completing its journey to Syria.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Looks like we've gone and done it... be interested to see what Russians say, or do, about this!!

edit on 19-6-2012 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

join