It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Am a Concealed Weapons Permit Holder and Was Just Pulled Over

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Something amazing just happened. I was coming in for work this morning and doing 83mph in a 65 because I was running late and needed to unlock the doors for the cooks. I saw a Highway Patrol car in my rear view and eased off the gas. Then he got behind me and turned the lights on. I pulled over and did as I was instructed in my CCW class. I kept my hands on the wheel, waited until he approached the car to roll down the window, put my hand back on the steering wheel, I informed him that I was a CCW permit holder, and where my gun was. I then asked for permission to unbuckle my seat belt to grab my wallet and reach in the glove box for my info. He told me to go ahead. He looked over my info and asked why I was speeding. I told the truth and apologized. He told me that I was a few mph from criminal speed that could get me arrested, but since he understood my situation of having to open up the restaurant and I did everything correct by informing him of my permit and carrying a firearm, he just let me go with a verbal warning, and didn't bother to look at my gun. He then asked why I choose to carry. I simply told him, that a cop is too heavy, and we both had a laugh.
In Arizona you no longer need a permit to carry concealed, but I took the class for the knowledge and info. Having the card definitely helps and gives you some sort of credibility.
edit on 6/17/1212 by 1MrMarc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

Nice story. I think your manners, knowledge and humour worked to your advantage. I'm still smiling from the too heavy cop joke.

edit on 17/6/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

Sounds like you used your head

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

Perfect encounter...i've had them with a gun and all he did was ask to hold my magazine in his belt and then we chit chatted about the Army days...we didnt know each other but were knew each other..

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
you did good. should have no problems

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
In Florida you don't need a CWP to keep a loaded gun in the car so long as it is in a closed container and you are legal to own it. We are taught not to mention it unless asked. The idea is the officer doesn't want to know that you have a gun in the car if it is legal and otherwise would go unnoticed.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

Did you wake up after this?

But seriously it's actually refreshing to hear stories like that, especially America.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Hilarious... also excellent info on how to keep peace with the law. I am sure the officer really appreciated the way you conducted yourself and that made things advantageous for you AND him. Love the sig too BTW...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

Situation well handled ! Good to hear a positive story about gun ownership, for a change...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I got stopped here in Connecticut for doing 62 in a 45
It was at night and I carry my CCW permit under my licence
I basically did the same
But the cop saw my permit as I removed my DL
He asked if I had the gun with me and where it was.
It was locked in the back and I told him so.
He asked what it was I had my glock 19 and 23 but only told him I had the 23.
I still got a $92 ticket but it could have been much more.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Thanks for taking the time to post everybody. This was definitely a good experience. This also happened to me a few months ago. I was on a highway trying to pass a U-Haul before the passing lane ended and was pulled over. Same scenario, I told him the same. Only I didn't get a warning. Instead I received a Waste Of Finite Resources ticket, which is 100 x's better than a speeding ticket and only $60. But the officer was very nice. I was scared because I had 3 pistols and an AR because I was going to go to the range when I got back. He just said "it's good to see good people carrying guns".
I guess I need to stop speeding because I'm sure my luck will run out at some point.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BeforeTheHangmansNoose

I know what you mean, my heart raced both times. I always hope for the best and expect the worst. Needless to say I'm glad things went the way they did. They could have made my life miserable for at least an hour if they wanted to.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
i would assume by your story that you are not black since you're still alive and weren't shot 147 times.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

WOW! OP bro, really, i LOVE stories like these, sorry for caps lock words.

lol.

but i feel so happy when i read a story about a person and a police getting along and everything going ok.

i mean seriously, WHAT A FRIENDLY POLICE DUDE!!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
i would assume by your story that you are not black since you're still alive and weren't shot 147 times.

im not racist or anything, but i lol'd, but then i felt sad, because sometimes people do get shot when they shouldn't have been, or didn't deserve it.

*sigh*

peace.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Cool story MrMarc. I might be in the minority here but I bet nine times out of ten that an officer will respond like that when shown this level of professionalism and training.

It's certainly a big responsibility this day in age to be a CCW permit holder. Encounters between LEOs and legal carriers in general that turn sour seem to usually stem from paranoid people calling it in as suspicious, 2nd amendment supporters *blatantly* exercising their right, or some combination of both. Cop is too heavy to carry, huh? Ha ha ha!

By the way, shame on you for speeding!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Nice Cop. Not all of them are bad, especially if they are by them selves and you do the things they ask before they even ask.

I bought a car and it cost me $379 to register the thing, including CHP costs, and I didnt have the money at that time to get the car smoged. I was so "paranoid" that I would be pulled over but made the shortest route possible so the Odds would be in my favor. Lucky for me, there was a CHP Truck right on the rural street I travel and he waited a full 6 miles until I got on the Freeway and pulled me over. He walked up, I already had my Glove Compartment open with my paperwork ready, and he says "already have it ready, huh?". I said YES and I handed him the paperwork. I told him I was on my way to work but am getting the car smogged "tomorrow". Now, he could of believed that or not, but I think cuz I had the paperwork ready, gave him my License (I could of refused), he came back and said "you know, someone could give you a ticket so I would get this car smogged ASAP" and told me to go on my way.

Now, the reason I was "paranoid" was just a few weeks earlier, as I am doing a "public" service and helping the County Library save thousands of dollars by doing some "Green Energy" work, I get a parking ticket because I was parked in a spot before 10am. Because of that, I got another ticket because my tags were "out of date" even though I paid them. I was doing some work in the morning and it was abnormal for us to be there at that time and I had no idea I needed some "permission" to park there at that time. Now, the tickets were from "County Security". LOL. The big bad CHP let me go with hardly a discussion at all as I was able to actually explain my situation. The "County Security wannabe cop" just printed out his little ticket from his hand held ticket printer and when I walked up to him, as he is parked in the same parking lot as I was before 10am, he tells me its out of his hands. Sorry, pretty MAD about it but I believe provoking can be confused and I hate cops in a way because I never know which one I will get. Thats the problem.

edit on 18-6-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by IndieA
In Florida you don't need a CWP to keep a loaded gun in the car so long as it is in a closed container and you are legal to own it. We are taught not to mention it unless asked. The idea is the officer doesn't want to know that you have a gun in the car if it is legal and otherwise would go unnoticed.

State law here in michigan says if you dont immediately disclose that you can lose your permit! Even if youre walking and they stop you.

I usually keep a 45 on my passenger seat in my car.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

keeping your hands on the steering wheel was why you got a warning and politeness. Every cop i have ever talked with said that is the best thing to do. at night turn on your interior light too!!!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing OP. I'm glad to hear that you were treated fairly and respectfully, I guess sometimes you really do get what you give.

I've only been pulled over once since I got my Concealed Carry Permit. Technically it was my husband who got pulled over, he was the driver. We both have our permits. We followed the same rule (have to, by law). Neither of us was carrying that day for whatever reason, and the officer was very polite. Still got the ticket, but didn't have to undergo any kind of hatefulness or searches or anything like that. He took us at our word when we told him we weren't carrying.

I think police officers probably have a sort of sixth sense about these things. They can probably for the most part tell "the good guys" from the "bad guys". Following the laws regarding concealed carry surely sets one apart as being a good guy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join