It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nature 1 - Monsanto 0

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Monsanto Corn Injured by Early Rootworm Feeding in Illinois

Monsanto Co. (MON) corn has been overwhelmed in parts of Illinois by rootworms that hatched a month early, renewing concern that the bugs are becoming immune to the insecticide engineered into the crop.

An “amazing” number of rootworms have emerged as adult beetles, the earliest start in at least 30 years, Michael Gray, an entomologist at the University of Illinois at Urbana, said today in an online journal. The insects “severely pruned” the roots of corn observed June 7 at a farm in Cass County, about 200 miles (322 kilometers) southwest of Chicago.

I think this is just AWESOME. It goes to show how little man can effect nature. Nature will prevail. Unfortunately, Monsanto will develop a new strain of resistant corn and the process will start all over agian. I think that if it continues to go this way, the insects will be resistant to everything in a hundred years and there will be nothing we can do to stop them from destroying crops.

I also heard some stories of weeds becoming resistant to the herbacides that companies like Monsanto make as well. I can't find any news about it on the internet though. Just thought I would share.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

I guess then more people will learn the true meaning of the phrase "a rough row to hoe".

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Nature will adapt, build a better plant, nature will just build a better bug.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
How long did it take Native Americans to breed corn into what it is today? I'm not sure, but I think Monsanto needs to take note of this.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Monsanto genes have "infected" many Mexican corn crops. Genetically unique strains that have been kept for thousands of years now test positive for Monsanto genes.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

As I am very happy that mother nature is dealing Monsanto a big blow, I am also very apprehensive to celebrate it! I HATE this company with everybit of hate I have in my body, but will not their new strain of super worm spill over to the organic farmer who has done nothing wrong with his/her work with mother nature?

I am soooooooo pissed right now, because I can see it coming............A new form of poison to pollute the environement, a NEW form of GMO plant etc etc..................

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are taking a kick in the ass, but ultimately, I see the FDA and USDA giving them MORE power to try to create more monsters to correct the problems they created in the first place!

I am have really mixed emotions on this one........Instead of the FDA coming down on this corrupt company, all I see happening is giving them more freedom to further poison our planet into oblivion!
edit on 17-6-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I agree. What happens when they run out of different strains of corn that will kill these bugs? It may take hundreds of years to do this, but then you will have bugs that are invincible. The bugs could be resistant to everything. Then what?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Yes it escalates oddly the way we humans do, this war against bugs, so I am going to say why can't we learn to live together. My Father was a gardener, and he always planted 10 to 20% more, for the bugs.

I despise Monsanto and everything it stands for.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

While i love the idea of mother nature sticking it to Monsanto, this also scares the crap out of me. Cause and effect seems to be something the people at Monsanto dont understand. It has been long established that nature will always find a way. How much longer until the way natures finds turns out to be something that will destroy everything? By creating super plants they are in turn breeding super bugs, whats to stop these super bugs from becoming unstoppable?

What Monsanto is doing is wrong on all levels, and its all done just to make a little extra money in an economy that is about to die anyways.

its all polishing the brass on the titanic, its going to go down eventually. What damage is going to be done before that time comes?

DC

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I agree... I am ambivalent of this news.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reminds me of the old tv commercial slogan for i forget what product but something like "Its Not Nice To Fool Mother Nature". sure science is cool and can be used to solve many problems we humans may run into, but long term its just not going to last. poor Monsanto is trying to outsmart hundreds of millions of years of insect and plant evolution. how cute/futile.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
How long did it take Native Americans to breed corn into what it is today? I'm not sure, but I think Monsanto needs to take note of this.

About 9,000 years is the current estimation.

www.livescience.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The ingenious nature of nature seems so perfect in it's ability to thrive, survive, create order and destroy, and when you think about it, it is a marvel in design, however it came to be. Perturbation actually stimulates growth and sometimes function, so when we inflict nature, nature recovers, sometimes modifies, and can even gain benefits. Guess it is a tit for tat game with Monsanto, and I am glad to know nature can trump the more ill effectives of gmo's. I find it strange and unnatural sometimes, that we constantly battle with our provider, so to speak, in order to make a better living.

I do think that one day, we may find out the equation(?) or formula to perfectly design just as nature does. But I wonder if there will still be spirit in our synthetic genesis endeavors?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Rootworm...

The true savior and caped hero sent to protect us all from the evildoer...Monsanto. Boldly going where no one else knew to go.

"All Hail ROOTWORM"

Thanks for the best news I've heard all Week, Month and maybe this Year.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45

Monsanto Co. (MON) corn has been overwhelmed in parts of Illinois by rootworms that hatched a month early, renewing concern that the bugs are becoming immune to the insecticide engineered into the crop.

An “amazing” number of rootworms have emerged as adult beetles, the earliest start in at least 30 years, Michael Gray, an entomologist at the University of Illinois at Urbana, said today in an online journal. The insects “severely pruned” the roots of corn observed June 7 at a farm in Cass County, about 200 miles (322 kilometers) southwest of Chicago.

I think this is just AWESOME. It goes to show how little man can effect nature. Nature will prevail. Unfortunately, Monsanto will develop a new strain of resistant corn and the process will start all over agian. I think that if it continues to go this way, the insects will be resistant to everything in a hundred years and there will be nothing we can do to stop them from destroying crops.

I also heard some stories of weeds becoming resistant to the herbacides that companies like Monsanto make as well. I can't find any news about it on the internet though. Just thought I would share.

HAHA YES!!!!!!

take that MONSATAN!!!!!!!!

hey monsanto!!! GET OUT OF EARTH!!!!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by satron

Monsanto genes have "infected" many Mexican corn crops. Genetically unique strains that have been kept for thousands of years now test positive for Monsanto genes.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
More like:

Nature 1 - Monsanto 32,409,823,487

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

I am very against Monsanto, so don't get me wrong. But, how can you plant more for the bugs? It's not like you can use signs to get them to eat certain plants and not others. ha ha.

I have issues with slugs on my plants. I just have to kill them, or else my leaves get damaged. The slugs do not care what plant they've moving on.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

"Nature will find a Way"

-Ian Malcom from Jurrasic park

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
This is why nature doesn't need protection.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join