It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rodney King dead at 47

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Breaking news.

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Rodney King, whose beating by Los Angeles police in 1991 was caught on camera and sparked riots after the acquittal of the four officers involved, was found dead in his swimming pool Sunday, authorities and his fiancee confirmed. He was 47.

edition.cnn.com...

For me the footage is still shocking of the beating by LA police of King 20 years on.

What do Americans make of the impact that the Rodney King beating had on the US?

What are your feelings on hearing about his death?

edit on 17-6-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Update

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
ItThe whole thing was just stupid.

The guy was on PCP, as they claim, and wouldn't stop resisting arrest. People ignore this.

the riots were stupid because all they did was destroy their own property.

I really don't know what it is with people who are willing to ignore other facts while making their knee-jerk reactions and judgements.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Reacting was correct the method was not.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
ItThe whole thing was just stupid.

The guy was on PCP, as they claim, and wouldn't stop resisting arrest. People ignore this.

the riots were stupid because all they did was destroy their own property.

I really don't know what it is with people who are willing to ignore other facts while making their knee-jerk reactions and judgements.

I know what I saw. He got his ass handed to him. Those cops were dead wrong. But you're correct on one thing, the riots were stupid.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Whether Rodney was on anything or not, he was a human that was beaten mercilessly by thugs.
His video brought police misconduct into the mainstream, then the "officers" involved got little or no punishement.
I'm sure he was not an angel but neither are you or I.
Now he can finally "just get along."
Rest in peace.

(Edit)
Many say that the riots were stupid and for the MAJOR part, I'd have to agree.
Some good did come of them however.
The whole world for just a little while, found out that not all cops are good.
Just a silver lining.
edit on 17-6-2012 by g146541 because: silver lining

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
So did he died in jail? (as the police comes up with this story).
I know he did time before.
But yes every story has (at least) two parts

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

No he died at home, was found in his swimming pool. I know he had had run ins with the law since the beating and has had serious problems with alcohol addiction.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Rodney king had a history of charges that spanned from petty theft to spousal abuse. And everything in between. I once worked with a Los angeles police officer that was quite familiar with him. He beat his girlfriend/wife, often. He resisted arrest and assaulted officers often. Sure also his beating was absolutely uncalled for...but it sparked riots in which blacks roamed Los angeles, looting, burning and beating white folk,etc...but that isn't my feelings on his death. Anyone dying is a sad thing, regardless of beliefs.

Everyone dies..seems a little young..but know the saying, live hard, die young. Glad it wasn't by an officers hands.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

Interestingly, I thought the same thing while reading your post...

RIP Rodney King, and thank you for the sacrifice you made that contributed to our country's growth.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Don't go in the pool if you can't swim. Especially if you had a few too many drinks. Guy was drunk 24/7 lately.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
It's sad.

The most important thing to mention is that nothing has changed.

In my opinion, there were some peace-meal changes on paper designed to quell public anger and nothing more. The massive education, housing and economic gap between racial groups in America has not changed in more than thirty years.

The public has changed, through natural social evolution, but social equality hasn't. Cops are still violent thugs, they still get away with beating people and covering up, they still racially abuse people, they still have very little respect from the public (and rarely deserve the respect they do get), they operate like mafia, militant groups and secret societies - if anything this has become even worse in the last five years than it was back then.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
While he was gettin his ass beat, he looked more like Rodney Queen....
edit on 17-6-2012 by avatard because: haha

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Rodney, now thats my home boy!!! You will be missed Mr. King, you bridged the gap between racial lines
of cops beating up black people..

Rodney we will miss you, today will be marked Rodney Luther King Day in your honor.

Rodney done more for the black community then martin king could ever think.

top topics

join