It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cool Miniature Stove [video]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
This do-it-yourself mini-stove made from common house hold items is an awesome piece of knowledge to have for when the apocalypse arrives.
Seriously though, this is super cool and I couldn't see it posted anywhere on ATS.

I was trying to think of ways which could make is easier to build and more effective. For instance the fill hole, instead of being a bunch of small holes, could be one moderately wide hole which could be plugged with a screw after the fuel is added. It might also be hard to find fiber glass and Heet when all hell has broken loose. I was thinking some fine steel wool might work just as well but I'm not sure... I also believe other types of fuels might work, such as methylated spirits or some type of alcohol. It would also be super cool if there was an easy way to create a little refillable fuel chamber instead of using a fill hole, in the same way a BBQ has gets supplied with a flow of gas from the gas bottle. There are many ways it could improved with little effort, got any ideas?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

There are many ways it could improved with little effort, got any ideas?

To improve on this? No. To save more money? Rub two sticks together?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Only a fool would attempt to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together, it's a waste of energy, there are many easier ways. But you are right, a good old wood fire is a sure solution in any scenario (except for one where we kill all the trees
). This is just much neater and easier to work with when it comes to boiling water or cooking food imo. It definitely has its advantages (such as being a lot easier to use indoors).
edit on 17/6/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

I've made similiar stoves from cans of soup and have found them to be highly effective. But there is a problem with what fuel to use. For instance, using a small amount of gasoline will impart the gas taste to what you are cooking. While edible if you're really hungry...

I guess using gas would be ok for heating water for 1st aid or cleaning, I won't be using it to cook anymore.

But there are the options that y'all have poited out.

The thing I really like about these stoves is that they don't produce smoke which would give away your position.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by boncho

Only a fool would attempt to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together, it's a waste of energy, there are many easier ways. But you are right, a good old wood fire is a sure solution in any scenario (except for one where we kill all the trees
). This is just much neater and easier to work with when it comes to boiling water or cooking food imo. It definitely has its advantages (such as being a lot easier to use indoors).
edit on 17/6/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

Absolutely, the ingenuity is great, I honestly just couldn't think of anything that would be cheaper than what is proposed for this. You can basically make it out of trash save the fuel source.

Curious what type of fuels it would work with though...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Alcohol works fine. The fiberglass helps hold the fuel like a sponge so the vapors can come off evenly, but steel wool would not do that. You don't need the material inside for it to burn, but it helps prevent accidents with liquid flame.

I have several of these and use them for a bug out bag, storm shelter and sailboat. I have lots of small containers of rubbing alcohol for fuel so the setup is very compact and easy to start with a spark.

The alcohol can be used for many purposes so it is a good fit for emergency stoves.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

using a small amount of gasoline will impart the gas taste to what you are cooking

Yes, I don't imagine gasoline would be a very good fuel to use because it produces so many toxic by-products. Some type of clean burning alcohol would probably be the best.

reply to post by onecraftydude

The fiberglass helps hold the fuel like a sponge so the vapors can come off evenly, but steel wool would not do that.

Yeah that's what I assumed it was for, but I reckon if you had fine enough steel wool it would act like a sponge. Either way it's not exceptionally hard to find fiber glass anyway. And yes I think rubbing alcohol or other type of strong ethanol alcohol would be the best option.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I made one identical to this a couple of years ago from a similar video-Mine sits in its own case made from a cut down food tin,you sit it in the case when full,and pour a little fuel into the case to pre heat the internal fuel before lighting the main stove.

Its cool for a homemade device-runs for approx 20mins when full,enough to boil two mugs of water.
Mine uses methylated spirits as fuel,which has the downside of an almost invisible flame,so hard to tell if it blows out in wind.
Apart from that its a handy little burner.I have used it maybe 10-15 times when camping and its still holding together.

If you want to cook a big meal you will need a bigger stove,but this is great for a quick brew or two out on the trails.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I have always used perlite when making that type of stove, instead of fiberglass, check the garden section.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this. I will be making one this evening.

Now I would NOT (and I repeat would NOT) use steel wool. Steel wool will burn. And I mean it will burn very hot and quickly. For a fun parlor trick stick a 9 volt battery to a piece of steel wool. Just be prepared for it to burn hot and fast. Sparks from a flint work well to. In fact, I keep some steel wool in my tinder box for the purpose of starting a fire.

As for fuel, alcohol will work fine. I believe the "Heet" product used in the video is alcohol based. I used to own a boat that had a similar but larger stove that worked surprisingly well using alcohol.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I used to use perlite as well: However; now i cut old socks in circles to match the can. You can put a simmer function on it with a rivet and the tab that pops from the top, not the opening tab. Mine works great and i just used it this fathers day with my kids when we went backpacking/ camping. I use rubbing alcohol that i have in my firstaid kit and any (nearly) convenience store will have some in stock. And its cheap and you can use this as a campfire starter as well. Just leave it in the humongous bonfire that you start and retrieve it when the fire is out.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Why not just use a little folding sterno stove? They go for about $10-$15 and you can get sterno at any grocery store. It's what I use in my BOB for a cooking implement. Sure, takes a bit of patience, and longer to bring to a boil than a normal stove....but it's also low visibility cooking too, if staying hidden is part of your game.

I do applaud the ingenuity though.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

The only reason I went to this was for the ability to use my alcohol from my first aid kit. Two birds kinda thing and where I am, you almost have to go to a sporting goods store or something like walmart which (I try not to go to) are inconvenient and out of the way.

Availability and multi function are my reasons.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by J-in-TX

Now I would NOT (and I repeat would NOT) use steel wool. Steel wool will burn. And I mean it will burn very hot and quickly. For a fun parlor trick stick a 9 volt battery to a piece of steel wool.

Yes you're probably right actually, I didn't think of that. The old socks trick mentioned sounds like it might work though.

reply to post by Gazrok

Originally posted by Gazrok
Why not just use a little folding sterno stove?

Well I think the best thing about this is that if you suddenly get caught in a survival situation it's very easy to find the parts required to build one of these. I just think it's good to have the knowledge in case of an unexpected situation. I don't really prepare for much.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Wow ..that's very cute if you're crafting them in a post survival situation and using them as barter.
But in a survival situation it just need to much time and too complicated for just heating stuff up. Unless you have if made before. And you need liquid fuel. Solid fuel which is more available lile wood only needs a piece of metal or piece of sturdy wire...good thing the army has this covered..no point in reinventing it.

Like this at 1:55

edit on 1-7-2012 by Choice777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Maybe a cotton-ball soaked in alcohol.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Very nice survival trick .. i like it

could that thing explode when its not properly mounted ?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Here's another option for a hobo stove that I found amazing..

here's one of him using the stove in the field:

top topics

join