It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite storm 'smashed the Earth 12,000 years ago and killed off a prehistoric people'

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Pharoah and others, just a comment, but you guys are going way off topic - you might want to consider taking this discussion to a new thread.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
It could have been a nuked that formed that glass?

There are several sites on the earth that have a large amount of spread out radiation, as if a nuclear bomb(s) had gone off. I forget what the book is called but its a famous religious Indian book that talked about how the "Gods" had a weapon that could destroy a massive amount of land with a cloud of fire. It said after the fire peoples hair began to fall out. I really wish I could remember the name of that book.

You are referring to the Bhagvad Gita, and you probably have a some familiarity with the chapter and slovka in question as it was quoted by Oppenheimer. Chapter 11.

The source of the stories you are writing about are Ramayana and Mahabharata. (I always have to go look up spellings!) And the weapon is Brahmastra.

I have no particular opinion on the subject, but think that if the writers of the Vedas and the slovkas were that imaginative based on the evidience they found - well they were amazingly ahead of their time.

Now I have read that some explain the radiological signatures at these sites as maybe being examples of natural uranium deposits being set off like a bomb. Something happened to them, maybe a neutrino hitting a sufficiently large deposit.

If you are interested, there are some videos depicting the Ramayana and Mahabharata on youtube. I haven't watched them to see if they are any good though.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Pharoah and others, just a comment, but you guys are going way off topic - you might want to consider taking this discussion to a new thread.

My apologies. My intentions weren't to derail the thread.

I just don't like being called a moron.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I am not saying this did not occur, but rather that on a world wide scale it was rather insignificant. Had it been 'major', the resultant depopulation would reflect in DNA studies.

As I recall the Toba super volcano eruption about 67,000 years ago reduced the world population to an estimated (by DNA studies) about 10,000.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by oghamxx
I am not saying this did not occur, but rather that on a world wide scale it was rather insignificant. Had it been 'major', the resultant depopulation would reflect in DNA studies.

As I recall the Toba super volcano eruption about 67,000 years ago reduced the world population to an estimated (by DNA studies) about 10,000.

That is the current theory, just a few weeks ago a number of papers came out challenging/looking at that assumption.

May 2012 issue of the journal Quaternary International features 17 articles on Toba, unfortunately these are behing paywalls for the time being

For those with cash

The general summary is that the articles look at

......including archaeological investigations in the Jurreru and Middle Son valleys of India, where ash fall from the Toba eruption has been revealed. Scholars have debated whether the explosive effects of the eruption might have caused massive climate change, and killed off many of us humans as we were just leaving Africa.

But, one of the complex of sites called Jwalapuram in southern India seems to show reoccupation of the valley fairly soon after the explosion, and by people continuing the same lithic tradition. Leading scholars to wonder: how destructive was the "super eruption"?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

Originally posted by olliemc84

Almost every ancient civilization that existed and had a form of writing believed in a great flood. So everyone is wrong and the bible and only the bible is right? Everything else is hogwash? What do YOU believe?

edit on 17-6-2012 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

HAHA...8000 Year old skeletons....with fresh hair cuts,,,,lolool....hahah, the only reason why egyptian bodies last is that they were mummified.....WHERE is the decomposition here....???

- what do I believe????...ok, i`l go there...

what im seeing is that there is a group on earth, today, who are claimimg that they have the DIVINE RIGHT TO RULE in a global government......

these people believe they are related to the demi-gods from the pre-flood era....

NOW, all they need to do is prove of the existance of 10,000bc.....then prove that they are related to the demi gods....then hey presto.....they have copied the blueprint of egyptian rule.....or any elitest rule

thats why they are so fascinated with 10,000 bc

peace
edit on 19-6-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

There are many conditions under which mummies form. Bogs, salt, dry sand.

You get THAT from redheaded heads on stakes? Hm. I thought, "damn, every damn culture puts our heads on stakes...."

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Text
Some time around the middle of the second century BC, the astronomer Hipparchus discovered that the fixed stars as a whole gradually shifted their position in relation to the annually determined locations of the Sun at the equinoxes and solstices... Otto Neugebauer argued that Hipparchus in fact believed that this [36,000 years] was the maximum figure and that he also computed the true rate of one complete precession cycle at just under 26,000 years...[4]

The confusion originates with the astronomer Ptolemy, who "adopted the larger, erroneous, figure, with the result that henceforth the two versions of the Great Year - the Platonic Great Year, defined by the planets, and the precessional, defined by the stars - were to be increasingly confused."[4] "Some people called it the Yuga cycle, others called it the Grand cycle and others the Perfect Year...But the most common name found in use from ancient Europe to ancient China, was simply the Great Year

The great year,
Randall Carlson presents "The Great Year" If you feel like you have missed something in this video, this is part 7

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv
The "Black Mat" is well understood, and covers areas of mostly states in the US great lakes regions all the way down to the Carolinas. It is a sediment of burnt ash in a stratification layer of soil and rock , 12-13k years old, and has evidence of carbon/nickel spherules mixed with burnt organic plant matter as well as a high concentration of iridium. That should be proof enough of an extraterrestrial origin. (A Natural one, caused by a comet or fragmented huge asteroid.)

Even if one rejects the asteroid impact or Younger Drydas impact idea, what you are still left with is a black mat.

So something set enough of the continent on fire to cause a black mat layer to form. Prior to this black mat layer, grassland areas were not as extensive and there were more treed areas. The ascension of the prairie buffalo kept the grasslands from reforesting as the herds would eat down new trees. Non-ranch grasslands in North America are starting to show this change now in reverse where trees and shubbery are where they have not grown for thousands of years because it isn't being eaten down.

Regardless of an impact being proven or disproven, SOMETHING happened.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SibylofErythrae

Yes something did happen and still unfortunately it isn't completely clear

The earlier ideas by Firestone, West and Warwick-smith ran into difficulties a new attempt is being made with more and different materials

This guys talks about the black mat

sadly over 5 years old and in this subject, rather dated

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Not wading in on one side of the argument or the other, but submerged settlements have been found in the Black sea, Baltic and North Sea. It isn't a fantasy that early "civilisation" (whatever you want to call it) did suffer a flood event as a result of the Ice Age ending.

It is also worth noting that it does fly in the face of logic that we are asked to believe Homo Sapiens have been around for almost a 1/4 million years, but only figured out the basics of civilisation within the past 5,000 or didn't figure out language until 30,000 years ago.

What the hell were they doing for all the time before? Sat around in a cave for 200,000 years grunting?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Not wading in on one side of the argument or the other, but submerged settlements have been found in the Black sea, Baltic and North Sea. It isn't a fantasy that early "civilisation" (whatever you want to call it) did suffer a flood event as a result of the Ice Age ending.

It is also worth noting that it does fly in the face of logic that we are asked to believe Homo Sapiens have been around for almost a 1/4 million years, but only figured out the basics of civilisation within the past 5,000 or didn't figure out language until 30,000 years ago.

What the hell were they doing for all the time before? Sat around in a cave for 200,000 years grunting?

Yes signs of small simple structures have been sighted. Most of the people in the world remained hunter-gathers until around the 1600, there ares still some today, using crude tools, hunting, gathering or utilizing slash and burn agriculture.

So yes a few people decided, for whatever reason, to change and 'move up' and AFAWK, that was fairly recently. I would suspect that we will find more evidence of small habitations going back to around 60-80,000 years....but even then we may be surprized

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Not just small, simple structures, but whole homesteads complete with tools and other farming/fishing implements. North Sea fisherman are always bringing up tools, animal bones and other detritus, so much so it often gets tossed over the side.

And you'll find that most people were not hunter gatherers until the 1600's, quite the contrary. Maybe in Africa or North America, but across Asia, South America and Europe agriculture and civilisation had been thriving since thousands of years BC.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

That is what I would call simple structure. Yes sorry error on my part I meant to include subsistence farming with the comment on slash and burn

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Even in the case of settled groups, I would have to expect that most homes would not survive being flooded under the ocean.

Cob, sod, straw, earth, wood if you lived in the right area. Not materials that have much chance of surviving underwater for ten thousand years.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Originally posted by stumason

Yes signs of small simple structures have been sighted. Most of the people in the world remained hunter-gathers until around the 1600, there ares still some today, using crude tools, hunting, gathering or utilizing slash and burn agriculture.

So yes a few people decided, for whatever reason, to change and 'move up' and AFAWK, that was fairly recently. I would suspect that we will find more evidence of small habitations going back to around 60-80,000 years....but even then we may be surprized

Yes at sometime we may be quite surprised,

In 2004, the Clovis theory suffered another indirect blow when scientists in Siberia - in what used to be the western edge of Beringia - found a 30,000-year-old human site with tools fashioned from mammoth and rhino tusks.

The discovery showed humans had adapted to the extreme cold of the Far North thousands of years earlier than previously thought. It has also rejuvenated interest in Beringia, Le Blanc said. "If people got to the Arctic, I don't see why they couldn't have penetrated farther east." Meanwhile, Cinq-Mars has been amassing evidence from European researchers that shows chipped mammoth bones were used there as spear points more than 200,000 years ago - more evidence that the bone chips in Beringia were a widespread ancient technology.

The source article.
www.canada.com...

So if people have been chipping bones in the arctic for 200k years it had to be HN, and it means that they had the ability to build shelters. These shelters were most likely made from mammoth hide and bone and tusk, so they won't have lasted. I believe that in certain circumstances the progression from shelter to clothing or visa versa is one of the first non tool making technologies that humans developed.
By the way that article about bluefish caves is very interesting.
edit on 20-6-2012 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Ah yes, I missed that slash and burn comment

reply to post by SibylofErythrae

You'd be surprised, it depends on the nature of the water and the environment. I know in the Black Sea, certainly, they (Robert Ballard being one of those "they") have found the stone portions of the homesteads in pretty good condition. I'll see if I can dig up some info, it was a few years back he did his Black Sea search.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Well here is a new one. I wonder how his may have impacted others around the globe? Could some Religions have been formed because of this event? The more we dig, the more we realize just how little we really know about our more recent prehistoric past...

Your thoughts?
Meteorite storm 'smashed the Earth 12,000 years ago and killed off a prehistoric people'

*Scientists find 'melt-glass' in 12,000-year-old rock

*Melt glass forms at 1,700 degrees - equal to atomic bomb

* Meteorites thought to have triggered a cold snap that killed off early civilisation and giant animals

Scientists have found compelling evidence that a meteorite storm hit the earth more than 12,000 years ago, and is likely to have been responsible for the extinction of a prehistoric people and giant animals including mammoths.

Evidence of the meteorite’s intense heat was found on two continents. The researchers believe the huge cosmic impact triggered a vicious cold snap, which caused widespread destruction.

The international team found a substance known as melt glass, which forms at temperatures of 1,7000 to 2,200 degrees Celcius and can result from a ‘cosmic body’ hitting the earth.

edit on 17-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

I can totally believe it. I never believed that the megafauna died off because of overhunting (that was theory that was floated almost 17 years ago). I knew something had to happen at once to get most of them. You add into it the Northern Ice Sheet (1 mile thick at New York City and 2 miles thick in upper Canada) with the spray of meteorites hitting the surface of the planet you get a 4 things. Massive fire storms, Winds, floods from the impact of the meteors on any ice sheet anywhere and winter aka nuclear winter without the radiation. And in so many flood myths different cultures do bring up darkness, flood, and some fire. The sick thing is why is it the powers that be want this information to be quiet or hushed?

Is it possible that if we dig further we will find out that much of the megaliths where built around this time and that maybe maybe advanced civilization in pockets and semi-advanced with trade across the ocean was flourishing. I bet that might be it. It would destroy the history books and essentially manifest destiny in many people's eyes who think one way.

Also Slayer, I'm not getting any new messages of when you put out a new post? I still have you as a friend but they don't notify me by message anymore, is this a new thing being done by ATS?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SibylofErythrae
Even in the case of settled groups, I would have to expect that most homes would not survive being flooded under the ocean.

Cob, sod, straw, earth, wood if you lived in the right area. Not materials that have much chance of surviving underwater for ten thousand years.

I found another example of living structures that would not have survived being flooded but does not mean they were not well constructed. I would suspect that they didn't reconstruct these exactly perfectly. I would suspect that they were covered in tanned hides.

blog.ounodesign.com...
xenophilius.wordpress.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
Well science has determined that the story of Sodom and Gomorrah was most likely a meteor exploding in the upper atmosphere (or even struck), so it's wholly (holy, lol) possible.

(In reference to your religious suggestion)
edit on 16/6/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

There was a documentary on those ancient cities that showed samples of still existing materials there at those old city sites. The material was unburned sulphur with a small percentage of pure magnesium of a type not found anywhere else on earth.. Just there at those two city locations..

I have never heard of a meteor made out of pure sulphur, let alone, one with traces of magnesium in it.. (which makes it burn very very hot.)
I think from seeing this documentary that the meteorite theory there just doesn't wash.. Much more going on there than science would ever want to admit.
People can go there and still find chunks of that stuff..

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

Sound like something that would burn so hot it would vaporize all liquids and just leave the salts of organic compounds. mmmmmmmm

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join