It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite storm 'smashed the Earth 12,000 years ago and killed off a prehistoric people'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
Hey han your ignorant views upon religion has left you ignorant and blind to real documented, scientific, geological history as most of your posts suggests.

There is more than enough evidence in the geological record and oral history aswell as some written ones that describe a flood. Did you ever once think in over 50 years of your life that the bible is telling a story that happened in the past? It seems that fools discredit any information or evidence if it is also mentioned in the bible.

An intelligent investigator/researcher will read all sources and set aside ignorant beliefs that will blind you to real ancient information.

You have failed in many threads with your views and your posts border trolling. Do your homework ole chap it will save you much embarrassment later.
edit on 17-6-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

The grate flood is documented in many culters. It was said that the earth was filled with water vapor witch block out the suns intensity. All of the earth was the same climate because of this vapor and all of the land was abundant of life.(Garden of Eden) Used to be a constant drizzle and the temperatures all around wear relatively the same. Then the "Gods", who wear at war accidentally destroyed this layer. Kind of sounds like us with nukes and the ozone. Witched caused a grate flood and lands to dry into deserts. It is known that deserts wear once abundant of life. They will never be again, even if the land mass moves out of direct sun.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Hey han your ignorant views upon religion has left you ignorant and blind to real documented, scientific, geological history as most of your posts suggests.

On the contrary, your ignorance of science, especially of geology, has allowed you to fall into the trap of accepting modern 'alternative' interpretations of bronze age stories despite there being zero evidence to support such interpretations and, indeed, many better interpretations that do not involved aliens and impossibe geological events.

Edit: sad that an interesting thread about an interesting new discoveries has to resort to the usual improbable Sitchenesq/Biblical nonsense. I guess some humans are still not yet ready for science.
edit on 17-6-2012 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The "Black Mat" is well understood, and covers areas of mostly states in the US great lakes regions all the way down to the Carolinas. It is a sediment of burnt ash in a stratification layer of soil and rock , 12-13k years old, and has evidence of carbon/nickel spherules mixed with burnt organic plant matter as well as a high concentration of iridium. That should be proof enough of an extraterrestrial origin. (A Natural one, caused by a comet or fragmented huge asteroid.)

Illustration of the "Black Bed" layer in a cross-section of a hillside The Black beds are visually distinctive And there are the Black beds everywhere, indicating the precipitation out of black carbonaceous (sooty) material out of the Atmosphere over a wide area.

Carbonized upper layer of fossil soil, illustrating the ash layer caused by intense forest fires of the period. This carbonized layer is the layer that can contain tektites and minidiamonds (indicating a collision with a large comet or asteroid)

Carolina Bays, Putative massively cratered beds all along the US East coast and commonly thought to be the result of heavy meteorite showers at the end of the Ice Age and simultaneous woth the Cape Yourk meteorites in Northern Greenland, also from the end of the Pleistocene.

Sources: Frontiers of Anthropology
edit on 17-6-2012 by charlyv because: clarity

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Not trying to sell anything and have no financial interest in it but there is a great book on this and other events here

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

The topic is Meteorite storm 'smashed the Earth 12,000 years ago and killed off a prehistoric people yet no one is debunking that. Just fools saying " It has nothing to do with the bible or ancient stories, if it does, its just a coincidence".

Dont be a fool. Religious text are some of the richest historical texts that exist today. Your hatred for religious historical text will reveal your ignorance and deny you of learning on the subject of ancient history.

This is not about religion. This is about a meteorite. So in my opinion it is possible that a meteorite would of had a catastrophic effect on the ice sheets, ocean currents while disrupting the global weather patterns that would undoubtedly destabilized and destroy many eco systems and species as the article suggests.
edit on 17-6-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes flooding at x time by y process, not indicative of a specific single event or a series of actions/occurrences

Why aren't an abundance of varied accounts of similar events from societies and cultures from all parts of the earth, most of whom have no links with each other, indicative of a possible single event or series of events?

It seems as if you are dismissing even the possibility of a common source without giving it any serious consideration at all?

They consider them all the time - and reject them, then every once in awhile someone (acutally quite regularly) comes up with new evidence and the 'world' changes, example the finding of the Denisovians and 'Hobbits'.

I think some branches of Science / Academia are more inclined to new and innovative thinking / research than others.
Obviously with improved understanding of DNA etc it has enabled major advancements in mapping human development, migration and relationship to other hominids etc.

But any evidence that supports the possibility of any advanced human societies prior to some biblical type deluge, Ancient Alien theory, or that challenges accepted timelines are immediately labelled as 'out there', unscientific and a crackpot etc.

An example is Egyptology.
There is a massive amount of time, effort and wealth invested in what is now the generally accepted timeline surrounding Ancient Egypt.
Anyone who suggests anything that contradicts the accepted timeline is immediately denounced and everything is done to discredit both the source and theory.
And the simple fact is that there is a reasonable amount of evidence out there to suspect that one or two things maybe amiss with the accepted timeline.

But perhaps I should leave that for other's who are more qualified than I, (and to be honest that wouldn't take much), to debate.
Still, it seems to me that open and honest debate on some topics are actively discouraged in Academia.

You might want to look up something called 'T E N U R E' which prevents the evil you are suggesting

Tenure is something that is becoming increasingly unique to the USA and Canada.

To be honest it seems to me that it's a practice that could be open to various abuses but again, to be fair, I don't really think I'm that qualified to comment on it.

. I would note that a number of alternative academics are doing just fine,

But the vast majority aren't.

I would also note that as theories shift text books need to get re-written, big money, also you will find - in the real world that grants flow to those who are successful in finding new things

Yes, I can see how that's probably true.

Perhaps there's an element of truth in both arguements?

But none of that explains the remarkable similarities that run through most of the worlds myths and legends and no 'accepted' theory can explain that.
Any theory that attempts to do so is immediately ridiculed and it's proponents marginalised.
edit on 17/6/12 by Freeborn because: typo

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

i still think its gnostics trying to "prove" their religion.......

dont worry gnostic belief has led to nearly everything science is "trying" to prove recently.....including 2012 end of world...return of messiah/quezi./osiris etc..

also belief in demi-gods and people related to these gods......noah and three sons ham, japeth and shem.

im seeing it everywhere....

ITS NOT ABOUT THE METEORITE...ITS THE DATE YOU CHOSE....12,000 years ago, (ie 10,000bc)...when you hear that date, alarm bells need to ring...all gnostic beliefs

peace
edit on 17-6-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
There is an alternative to an impacting object, and that is lightning, on a huge scale.
That would also fit in with the legends of some N.American native tribes, who reported
the Gods killing dinosaurs or large animals with lightning bolts. Here is a pdf that
interprets an area of desert glass as a lightning phenomena:

www.lpi.usra.edu...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Why aren't an abundance of varied accounts of similar events from societies and cultures from all parts of the earth, most of whom have no links with each other, indicative of a possible single event or series of events?

It COULD be but its far my likely that they are myths about uncorrelated revents

It seems as if you are dismissing event the possibility of a common source without giving it any serious consideration at all?

Not at all I'm pointing out that that associating x myth with a specific event is not possible when the myth are concerned with a natural event that happens all the time

I think some branches of Science / Academia are more inclined to new and innovative thinking / research than others.
Obviously with improved understanding of DNA etc it has enabled major advancements in mapping human development, migration and relationship to other hominids etc.

I would agree, the real feet draggers in archaeology are the 'sherders', people who deal with pottery, in my experience they were most resistance to change, but they do change but you need a lot of evidence to do it (obviously this doesn apply to them all)

But any evidence that supports the possibility of any advanced human societies prior to some biblical type deluge, Ancient Alien theory, or that challenges accepted timelines are immediately labelled as 'out there', unscientific and a crackpot etc.

The vast majority of scientist pay no attention whatsoever to fringe. One of my original reasons for entering the web in the 90's was to gather information on such subjects and relate it back to curmudgeons who were not computer literate.

Because most of it is. If it valid it is accepted and incorporated into the mainstream

An example is Egyptology.
There is a massive amount of time, effort and wealth invested in what is now the generally accepted timeline surrounding Ancient Egypt. Anyone who suggests anything that contradicts the accepted timeline is immediately denounced and everything is done to discredit both the source and theory.

This is partially correct and is caused by the media and fringe denouncements of mainstream scientists as liar, inept, all part of a conspiracy etc. Scientist are human and have egos just like everyone else.

And the simple fact is that there is a reasonable amount of evidence out there to suspect that one or two things maybe amiss with the accepted timeline.

Such as?

Still, it seems to me that open and honest debate on some topics are actively discouraged in Academia.

You've never been to a conference have you? lol. About 15,000 articles are published a year on archaeology / Egyptology (I'm under estimating) about 2-300 or so are accepted and change the goal posts, as it were. Academic skepticism of new things is a part of the scientific method

Tenure is something that is becoming increasingly unique to the USA and Canada.

Yet it exists and I cannot recall an archaeologist being dismissed from his post because he said the Sphinx was older thant 2500 BCE

But the vast majority aren't....
Like who?

If the idea is put out, say like all the pyramid theories, about a hundred or so, only one can be right so can all the others claim to being suppressed?

Perhaps there's an element of truth in both arguements?

I would say so, when I was being trained as Mayanist we were all under the theory of 'Thompsonism', which held that the Maya were relatively friendly & non-violent. I disagreed strongly (as did many others) I shifted over to bronze age middle east ethnolithology in part because of that. Of course now that theory has fallen and the Maya appear to have been quite violent and warfare was rife in their cities states

edit on 17/6/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

edit on 17/6/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!\

GOOGLE - GNOSTIC BELIEF........GREAT FLOOD.........ANTIDILUVEAN

im ripping my hair out here...lol

peace

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

peace

Say what?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Really? How did they determine a rock shower was coming in time to get into that flintstone hut?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Religious text are some of the richest historical texts that exist today.

And in some cases date back 3,000 years

Your hatred for religious historical text will reveal your ignorance and deny you of learning on the subject of ancient history.

I do not hate religious texts, but I accept their limitiations.

This is not about religion. This is about a meteorite. So in my opinion it is possible that a meteorite would of had a catastrophic effect on the ice sheets, ocean currents while disrupting the global weather patterns that would undoubtedly destabilized and destroy many eco systems and species as the article suggests.

Which is exactly what I believe may have happened - though I am not by any means certain.

What I do not believe is that 8,000 years later people wrote accurate accounts of what happened. In the same way that I doubt you could write (without recourse to any previous written literature) an accurate account of what happened when Tambora erupted - even though that was much, much, much more recent.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

i still think its gnostics trying to "prove" their religion.......

No. Its scientists doing their jobs in their related fields. Most scientists don't follow a religion.

dont worry gnostic belief has led to nearly everything science is "trying" to prove recently.....including 2012 end of world...return of messiah/quezi./osiris etc..

What the hell are you talking about? How could gnostic belief have anything to do with the return of Quetzalcoatl? Or Osiris? And true gnostics DONT BELIEVE in a divine deity that will return and save civilization from an apocalypse. Actually, gnostics are the exact opposite of the apocalyptic movement which was forming around the same time. Gnostics believe that imprisoned within the body was a divine spark. A soul that could be liberated by knowledge, not by an all see all powerful "god".link

also belief in demi-gods and people related to these gods......noah and three sons ham, japeth and shem.

Again, what does this have to do with anything that the OP has stated?

im seeing it everywhere....

Please enlighten us...

ITS NOT ABOUT THE METEORITE...ITS THE DATE YOU CHOSE....12,000 years ago, (ie 10,000bc)...when you hear that date, alarm bells need to ring...all gnostic beliefs

I seriously have no idea what you are talking about...

edit on 17-6-2012 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

peace

I did. What about it?

All I found was information about an archaic religion that was formed around 2,000 years ago that has nothing to do with me or the way I live my life.

Don't rip your hair out. It would be a terrible thing to desecrate your body like that.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

haha

the fascination scientists have with 12,500 ago (10,000 bc).....is because there is a belief of a great flood (noah)

if you know the gnostic religion....it is that the flood was caused by god, to "remove" a race of demi-gods, as the earth was not made to sustain them.

this era is known as antidiluvean,....TODAY, scientsts (sponsered) are trying to prove the existance of the antidiluvean period and the demi-gods that lived back then.....

aparantly noahs son HAM, took the knowledge of these demi gods onto the boat.......
also the worrying thing is that some humans think they are related to these demi gods.....ie gnostics

but if your a christian...then they believe the earths only about 6000 years old

peace

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

reply to post by olliemc84

haha

the fascination scientists have with 12,500 ago (10,000 bc).....is because there is a belief of a great flood (noah)

if you know the gnostic religion....it is that the flood was caused by god, to "remove" a race of demi-gods, as the earth was not made to sustain them.

this era is known as antidiluvean,....TODAY, scientsts (sponsered) are trying to prove the existance of the antidiluvean period and the demi-gods that lived back then.....

aparantly noahs son HAM, took the knowledge of these demi gods onto the boat.......
also the worrying thing is that some humans think they are related to these demi gods.....ie gnostics

but if your a christian...then they believe the earths only about 6000 years old

peace

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???

In gnostic belief, there is no boat. Noah and the sons of Seth are hidden in a luminous cloud.

So please, stop bringing in religion in a science based thread if you dont know what you are talking about.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

It COULD be but its far my likely that they are myths about uncorrelated revents

Why is it more likely?
And even if it is that doesn't mean that the possibility should be dismissed outright without due consideration, does it?

Not at all I'm pointing out that that associating x myth with a specific event is not possible when the myth are concerned with a natural event that happens all the time

But do you truly know, beyond doubt, that they are concerning 'a natural event that happens all the time'.
I have yet to see any definitive evidence that proves this beyond even reasonable doubt.

The vast majority of scientist pay no attention whatsoever to fringe.

But surely it is in their best interests to pay attention and to disprove such theories.
Perhaps I'm being naive?

Because most of it is. If it valid it is accepted and incorporated into the mainstream

I understand that is how it is supposed to work, and indeed has at times, but not all the time.

This is partially correct and is caused by the media and fringe denouncements of mainstream scientists as liar, inept, all part of a conspiracy etc. Scientist are human and have egos just like everyone else.

Yes, I can understand that too, and partially sympathise - but there may also be more than an element of truth in some of the accusations - especially about the old, established Don's etc who take an enormous amount of pride in the reputations they have built up, to see them debunked would devalue their whole lives works etc.
As you say, scientists have the same failings as the rest of us.

Such as?

The dating of The Sphinx.
The dating of several pyramids and other burial chambers etc.
The naming and timeline of various Pharaoh's.
The origin of The Pharoah's.
Differences in interpretation and translation of heiroglyphics.
Presence of Ooparts and other unexplained phenomena.

I'm not saying there is DEFINATELY something amiss, just that when all things are considered there seem to be holes in the current accepted theories etc and that there are other possibilities.

I'm no expert in any of this.
Just an ordinary guy who has a bit of an interest in all this and try's to keep up with things and look at things with an open and unbiased attitude.
I have no particular axe to grind, agenda to follow or theory to sell.
Sometimes my questions may seem stupid and naive, especially to the more learned, but they are genuine and as far as I can tell valid.

You've never been to a conference have you? lol.

You got me there - not at all - well not on anything quite as Academic as Egyptology etc.

Academic skepticism of new things is a part of the scientific method

Oh, I very much understand the need for sceptism, but there is also a requirement for open and honest evaluation and consideration free from any sort of bias.

Like who?

Come now, there are many 'alternative' theorists out there who are completely shunned and even ridiculed by Academia, for various reasons.

edit on 17/6/12 by Freeborn because: Spelling, grammar, clarity etc

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
At 12 ½ b'ak'tun
Clovis man was wiped out
A layer of clay covered the eastern seaboard
Just a coincidence
give or take a few hundred years.
en.wikipedia.org...

Text
Whether the Clovis culture drove the mammoth, and other species, to extinction via overhunting – the so-called Pleistocene overkill hypothesis – is still an open, and controversial, question. It has also been hypothesized that the Clovis culture saw its decline in the wake of the Younger Dryas cold phase. This 'cold shock', lasting roughly 1,500 years, affected many parts of the world, including North America. It appears to have been triggered by a vast meltwater lake – Lake Agassiz – emptying into the North Atlantic, disrupting the thermohaline circulation.

The largely discredited Younger Dryas impact hypothesis suggests that one or more bolide impacts caused the mass extinction and triggered a period of climatic cooling.[13] The hypothesis proposed that an extraterrestrial object such as a comet exploded in Earth's atmosphere above North America's Great Lakes region about 12,900 years ago,[14] and significantly impacted the human Clovis culture. However, recent published research disputes the quality of the evidence of an extraterrestrial impact.[15][16] Additional possible evidence of comet impact is occurrence of microdiamonds and black mats in a layer of sedimentary rocks of that era,[17] but those observations were not repeated in other analyses, the dates of the layer were disputed, and there was a lack of other supporting evidence, especially the dates and level of megafaunal extinction.

en.wikipedia.org...

Text
Precession

In the Solar System, the planets and the Sun lie roughly within the same flat plane, known as the plane of the ecliptic. From our perspective on Earth, the ecliptic is the path taken by the Sun across the sky over the course of the year. The twelve constellations that line the ecliptic are known as the zodiac and, annually, the Sun passes through all of them in turn. Additionally, over time, the Sun's annual cycle appears to recede very slowly backward by one degree every 72 years, or by one constellation every 2,160 years. This backward movement, called "precession", is due to a slight wobble in the Earth's axis as it spins, and can be compared to the way a spinning top wobbles as it slows down.[61] Over the course of 25,800 years, a period often called a Great Year, the Sun's path completes a full, 360-degree backward rotation through the zodiac.[61] In Western astrological traditions, precession is measured from the March equinox, or the point at which the Sun is exactly halfway between its lowest and highest points in the sky. Presently, the Sun's March equinox position is in the constellation Pisces and is moving back into Aquarius. This signals the end of one astrological age (the Age of Pisces) and the beginning of another (the Age of Aquarius).

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GaryN
There is an alternative to an impacting object, and that is lightning, on a huge scale.
That would also fit in with the legends of some N.American native tribes, who reported
the Gods killing dinosaurs or large animals with lightning bolts. Here is a pdf that
interprets an area of desert glass as a lightning phenomena:

www.lpi.usra.edu...

There is another Robert Schoch the plasma theory which is the lightning theory but an order of magnitude greater .

www.robertschoch.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join