It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Sues City of Tulsa For Cutting Down Her Edible Garden

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by Domo1
You have got to bee expletiving kidding me. No plants over a foot? On your own property? Getting cited for having an inoperable vehicle IN THE DRIVEWAY? I would have lost my expletive. I should be able to erect (heh) a 15 foot tall concrete penis ON MY OWN PROPERTY.

How do you get a tow if your car broke down this morning? It's illegal to have that car there.
Totally unreasonable policy. All of them the plants too.

So if you were working on your car in your driveway....citation??

Generally you get an inoperable vehicle citation for either an unregistered vehicle or an expired registration on the vehicle that has been on the lot for longer than 90 days with no sign of attempt to repair it. And usually you receive a warning for a pending citation in the mail before getting cited.

What probably happened here is the garden wasn't maintained properly and an eyesore. She pissed off a neighbor and they complained. There are reasons they have codes about vegetation on your property, most of them involving eliminating hiding places for rats and other vermin which will thrive in it. Not that the city was right in this they should not have acted until the court had a chance to render a verdict.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by robhines

Can't believe things are that bad in America that you have the "law" just being basic criminals like that. They're really scared about people eating their own food aren't they instead of processed and chemically messed up junk? I hope they get sued and that stories like this bring about the end of what they're doing.

Don't base your impression of the state of American gardens by this one isolated, local jurisdiction issue. This is in no way an example of a larger problem. This is a local one. Plenty of people have gardens. In cities. On rooftops. In abandoned lots. In schools.

Ah I'm not, have heard of quite a few other issues with it that's all. I don't think it's just an isolated incident is it? There's quite a few times the authorities have been harassing people growing their own natural foods from what I've heard/read.
edit on 27-6-2012 by robhines because: typo

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Can't believe things are that bad in America that you have the "law" just being basic criminals like that. They're really scared about people eating their own food aren't they instead of processed and chemically messed up junk? I hope they get sued and that stories like this bring about the end of what they're doing.

Don't base your impression of the state of American gardens by this one isolated, local jurisdiction issue. This is in no way an example of a larger problem. This is a local one. Plenty of people have gardens. In cities. On rooftops. In abandoned lots. In schools.

Ah I'm not, have heard of quite a few other issues with it that's all. I don't think it's just an isolated incident is it? There's quite a few times the authorities have been harassing people growing their own natural foods from what I've heard/read.
edit on 27-6-2012 by robhines because: typo

Not really. You can find FAR more examples of people growing food and medicine with government HELP in many instances, usually from the federal level. I have several friends who grow food in public schools in different parts of the country. This is an example of a local problem, and much of this incident is being mis-reported by one or two biased news events. Believe the hysteria if you choose, but know from someone who actively grows food, this is not widespread. I can guarantee the people screaming the loudest in this thread dont actually grow food.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Captain55

WTF

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
For those that may think the 'ugliness' of her garden is the reason. take a look at this new attack on our rights to eat what we want, grow what we want on our property:

Authorities Seek to Destroy Couple's Immaculate Edible Landscape

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
If I was her lawyer I'd have a field day with this. Edible? Legally edible to distribute means none of these plants were edible by the official rule of the land as they must be pumped with preservatives and countless chemicals and packaged air tight for even a chance to pass a test by the USDA. Throwing around words like "edible" without a probable reason is pretty ill-advised. Saying those plants are edible is pretty much saying anything out there green and grows is possibly edible. In some parts even grass is prepared in foods and is "edible". This case is a joke.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Actually, even when we DO own our property and land, we still need to follow the rules and regulations of the area that we choose to call home.

She chose, of her own free will, not to follow those rules, and there were consequences for her actions.

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join