It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Sues City of Tulsa For Cutting Down Her Edible Garden

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
reply to post by Blacksheep1

Even if she doesnt talk to you, you shouldn't have any trouble interviewing her neighbors.

Just tell them you are a reporter for a small, web-based organization.

Probably a good chance that she will talk to someone that can take this to a community as big as ATS. I know that I would want all the coverage I could get if I was wronged.

Peace

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
If you don't like your city ordinances, get involved and work to change them.

A law on the books is the law on the books, and if you break it, be prepared to accept the consequences, whether that be taking the punishment or spending time and money fighting the charges.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs

A law on the books is the law on the books, and if you break it, be prepared to accept the consequences, whether that be taking the punishment or spending time and money fighting the charges.

Maybe you missed this part of the story:

When she heard they wanted to cut it all down, she called police. The officer issued her a citation so it could be worked out in court. She said she went to court on August 15, and the judge told them to come back in October. But the very next day, men were cutting down most of her plants. They even cut down some of her trees -– ones that bore fruit and nuts -– and went up next to her house and basically removed everything in her front flower bed.

This is the CITY breaking their own codes and going against a judges orders. So you think she should just shut up and "take the punishment"? For what?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

# laws on the books. Statutes mean nothing. Sorry, but there is no other way to say it. There is no level playing field these days. And this is coming from someone who ran and won a position on the town board back in NY to try and change the BS that said board put in effect.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by frazzle

When she heard they wanted to cut it all down, she called police. The officer issued her a citation so it could be worked out in court. She said she went to court on August 15, and the judge told them to come back in October. But the very next day, men were cutting down most of her plants. They even cut down some of her trees -– ones that bore fruit and nuts -– and went up next to her house and basically removed everything in her front flower bed.

This is the CITY breaking their own codes and going against a judges orders. So you think she should just shut up and "take the punishment"? For what?

Did I say she should shut up and take the punishment? No, I said she should be prepared to accept the consequences, whether that be taking the punishment or spending time and money fighting the charges.

The City has the time and money to fight in court over this, as they have the rule of law behind them, and the public has deemed what is an eyesore for this particular city. The City will only be held accountable for the action if the judge rules against the City at the next court date.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

Yes, you do understand how these people work. The cause that forced my hand so to speak in my town..... A man decided that his livingroom could use a sunroof. He decided that since he was a carpenter, he would do this himself. He didn't bother with permits, afterall he owned said roof free and clear. The town ordered this sunroof removed, because he didn't ask the demigods for permission first, and ordered him to pay for it. Also he couldn't do it himself, but had to hire the nephew of a board member to do it, at 6 times what it would have cost the owner to do it himself. I thought I could fix such bull#. I was wrong, I was one man among many snakes in the board.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Furbs

# laws on the books. Statutes mean nothing. Sorry, but there is no other way to say it. There is no level playing field these days. And this is coming from someone who ran and won a position on the town board back in NY to try and change the BS that said board put in effect.

Rule of law is rule of law. Just because you were unsuccessful changing any statutes means that no one should ever try to do so. Sorry, I'm not as much of a fatalist as that.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

No, the only thing the "city" has behind them is the taxpayers money. If these scumbags had to pay the liars themself, it would be a much different story.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

reply to post by Furbs

No, the only thing the "city" has behind them is the taxpayers money. If these scumbags had to pay the liars themself, it would be a much different story.

These scumbags are put into office by the taxpayers. If the scumbags didn't have the votes and support of the public, they wouldn't be in office.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Did I say she should shut up and take the punishment? No, I said she should be prepared to accept the consequences, whether that be taking the punishment or spending time and money fighting the charges.

The City has the time and money to fight in court over this, as they have the rule of law behind them, and the public has deemed what is an eyesore for this particular city. The City will only be held accountable for the action if the judge rules against the City at the next court date.

No, what you said was: A law on the books is the law on the books, and if you break it, be prepared to accept the consequences, ....

She broke no laws. The judge agreed that she had until october to make whatever changes needed to be made and then to come back. Period, end of story.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

Try what you will, 99 times out of 100, it will be the wealthy that end up on top. Unless you move to an area like I live now, where we will drive out the wealthy should they try to change it. The place I lived before was overrun with the wealthy, including the town board. More interested in making the place bearable for them, on the weekends. Noise ordinances and such, can't so much as fart before 10 AM, even though most of us were up and working by 8. Can't have the common rabble disturbing the weekend warriors before 10AM, god forbid!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

No, what you said was: A law on the books is the law on the books, and if you break it, be prepared to accept the consequences, ....

She broke no laws. The judge agreed that she had until october to make whatever changes needed to be made and then to come back. Period, end of story.

She is accused of breaking a law, and has had the offense reconciled before trial. This is no different than any other pre-trial reconciliation. People accused of crimes routinely have property ceased until after a trial, and accused are also held in jail until after a trial.

This is no different from a legal aspect, and if the City is deemed to have done something illegal, it will be sorted out in court, if not, then the City will bill the woman for their time.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

That is disputable these days. A lot harder to pay off counters than it is to write a program for the digital machines

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I've been through some pretty harsh times with a planning and zoning commission and nobody knows the grief these bureaucrats cause until they've been through it. You can't win.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

reply to post by Furbs

Try what you will, 99 times out of 100, it will be the wealthy that end up on top. Unless you move to an area like I live now, where we will drive out the wealthy should they try to change it. The place I lived before was overrun with the wealthy, including the town board. More interested in making the place bearable for them, on the weekends. Noise ordinances and such, can't so much as fart before 10 AM, even though most of us were up and working by 8. Can't have the common rabble disturbing the weekend warriors before 10AM, god forbid!

If the town was overrun with wealthy citizens, then the will of the majority is the will of the majority. That is when moving is the appropriate course of action.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

reply to post by Furbs

These scumbags are put into office by the taxpayers. If the scumbags didn't have the votes and support of the public, they wouldn't be in office.

Back to what I was saying a page or so ago about the chambers of commerce. Try winning a local election without the chamber on your side. It won't happen.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

She is accused of breaking a law, and has had the offense reconciled before trial.

That is so funny. She had to call the police herself to get a citation she could take to court. Wow, growing food is breaking the law these days? Hope you never get really really hungry.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

They were not a majority by a long shot. Their bank accounts were though. They could afford commercials on TV and radio, a whole lot easier to get elected that way, don't you say? Their money drounded out most local people, and when I served on the board, I found that out. I was a fluke, and was treated as such by me "peers'.

That is why we drive out new rich that make a fuss about how we live now. No damned way I am going to allow this town to go the way of my old one.

Got a problem with tilling at 7AM, then you better leave. Etc.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Furbs

She is accused of breaking a law, and has had the offense reconciled before trial.

That is so funny. She had to call the police herself to get a citation she could take to court. Wow, growing food is breaking the law these days? Hope you never get really really hungry.

It is in Tulsa.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

reply to post by Furbs

Back to what I was saying a page or so ago about the chambers of commerce. Try winning a local election without the chamber on your side. It won't happen.

I was elected mayor of my hometown when I was 18 years old and still in High School.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join