Woman Sues City of Tulsa For Cutting Down Her Edible Garden

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Exactly what I do when reporting/interviewing

I will try to drive over and follow-up on this later this week. It is an hour drive round trip from where I currently reside, but I am intrigued now more than when I read about it locally. Anytime a story here locally makes national news, it sparks my interest for the truth. That was how I originally started this venture a few months ago with the Black Friday shootings. It amazes me what is reported nationally and what is the truth. There is nothing like locals or being local to truly fill you in on the true scope of the story. Too many stories, in my opinion, are sensationalized. I willl post any pics/reports I get here first.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blacksheep1

Exactly what I do when reporting/interviewing

I will try to drive over and follow-up on this later this week. It is an hour drive round trip from where I currently reside, but I am intrigued now more than when I read about it locally. Anytime a story here locally makes national news, it sparks my interest for the truth. That was how I originally started this venture a few months ago with the Black Friday shootings. It amazes me what is reported nationally and what is the truth. There is nothing like locals or being local to truly fill you in on the true scope of the story. Too many stories, in my opinion, are sensationalized. I willl post any pics/reports I get here first.

She got a letter from the city saying there had been a complaint about her yard.

If possible get some pics of that neighbor and their yard as well.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Please, for any slickers reading this, don't think it's easy living out here. There is no pizza delivery; there is no cable TV (I use a dish), and broadband Internet hasn't been available for very long (DSL or satellite only). Power goes off regularly. If something goes wrong with the well, I have to do without water until I can fix it (just spent a week replacing the whole darn thing as a matter of fact). If I do need the police or an ambulance, it's a 15 minute wait if I am lucky. The nearest store is 10 miles away. If the car breaks down, I either fix it myself or pay a huge towing bill. Sometimes I can smell someone else's chicken or hog pen if the wind is right. Anyone comes onto my property damaging stuff, I have to take care of it. The police clean up the mess when they get here. Ergo, no one does that. At night, there are no public lights; all is dark. There are wild critters running around: possums, coons, deer, rabbits, bobcats, foxes, coyotes, a few armadillos, and the occasional black bear or mountain lion.

That's a lot better than worrying about getting shot or robbed randomly

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
You have got to bee expletiving kidding me. No plants over a foot? On your own property? Getting cited for having an inoperable vehicle IN THE DRIVEWAY? I would have lost my expletive. I should be able to erect (heh) a 15 foot tall concrete penis ON MY OWN PROPERTY.

How do you get a tow if your car broke down this morning? It's illegal to have that car there.
Totally unreasonable policy. All of them the plants too.

So if you were working on your car in your driveway....citation??

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Oh you make it sound hard so they don't all come out here in droves! You know it's WAY better out here in the countryside!

Oh and most places are getting DSL by now too, slowly but surely. So that main detriment is now being rectified.

You say it's all tough and stuff, and thing's aren't always perfect.

It's way less stressful than the city and finally things start making sense out here.
People are down to Earth and love their community and respect the nature around them.

We are living it up. Any "hard work" entailed is worth it to be free from the rat race. We aren't rodents anyways, we are humans. I dread moving back to into a city.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
damn!!! i hope the twilight zone stays away from my town!!!
we can still grow what we want,where we want.
no yard police!!!...yet.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Oh and most places are getting DSL by now too, slowly but surely. So that main detriment is now being rectified.

Keep that dream alive. A small town might get DSL but it is not going to get installed in rural areas where there are a few houses in a square mile. The plan is to try to get people purchase high dollar, poor quality satellite.

Nearest town to me is 45 minutes away.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Here we have a woman, trying to supplement her food stores, then they are destroyed. So what should she do now? Go on welfare? Because if she goes on welfare, then that makes her what? The typical black welfare recipient sucking off of the system.

Some of you in this thread who think she should have lost her garden are wrong. Dead wrong. This woman was working to supplement her home with food that she is growing. If her yard is annoying the neighbors, then why not put up a fencing around the yard, rather than go in and simply destroy food?

If she goes on welfare because of this, then you guys can sit back and cluck your tongue and shake your heads about how she's just welfare scum now.

You can't have it both ways.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It was beautiful. They have no right to force her to stand under them, and they did this because they are literally turning dark, shrinking their light.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22
reply to post by jude11

The city should be made to replace every one of the plants and trees at their expense,As well as compensating her monetarily for the pain and distress it caused her.I can't imagine coming home to see the decimation in my yard,I think I would have lost my mind.
I had to have three trees removed for safty reasons and it really bothered me I didn't think it would but it did.

What the heck is this country coming too?

I don't know. But in war time during WWII people grew victory gardens, plotting them in the front, back, and side of the homes. They grew great gardens, and shared them with neighbors. Everyone had enough to eat because people took it upon themselves to get off their butt and grow food. Now we can't do this because it's going to annoy some cry baby who doesn't like looking at a yard full of weeds and plants. Give me a break.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

This is unacceptable! If you live there and pay to live there, you should be able to grow your own food regardless of how tall they are.

Stupid neighbors complaining like they were threatened by her plants or something! They don't care that all she had to eat was what she could grow. They might as well have taken food right out of her mouth.

And not being allowed to park an inoperable vehicle in your own driveway!? Where else are you supposed to park it? It's not like you're blocking a PUBLIC street. It's her own driveway!

So many stupid laws written by stupid people looking to cite you left and right.

Something like that happen where I live, that won't fly. Someone steps on any of our properties, you won't be shot with just a camera. People are armed and trigger happy around here. That's just the way it is down here.
edit on 17-6-2012 by 08051962 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This is what I love, and no one could ever stop me from doing this if I owned the land, but even here, we can garden as we please.

The search is under, edible front yard garden:

thegerminatrix.com...

edenmakersblog.com...

cdn.c.photoshelter.com...

If your neighbor doesnt like a garden, DONT HAVE ONE, BUT STAY AWAY FROM MY HOME.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I would've snapped if they tried this with me. Excellent thread... it pisses me off

What's this country come to? Even if you own property, you still can't do anything with it... you might as well be renting...

Go girl! Sue em blind!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel

I hope everyone s&f, AND writes and complains to the city of Tulsa. What a huge violation. I have never understood these policitians. Cutting down her trees????? They take years to grow and produce fruit.

My father in law planted fruit trees on his land 3 years ago, and they are still not ready to bear fruit. My heart goes out to her. I would have cried my eyes out. A lot of work goes into keeping those trees healthy so they will produce.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman
Here we have a woman, trying to supplement her food stores, then they are destroyed. So what should she do now? Go on welfare? Because if she goes on welfare, then that makes her what? The typical black welfare recipient sucking off of the system.

Some of you in this thread who think she should have lost her garden are wrong. Dead wrong. This woman was working to supplement her home with food that she is growing. If her yard is annoying the neighbors, then why not put up a fencing around the yard, rather than go in and simply destroy food?

If she goes on welfare because of this, then you guys can sit back and cluck your tongue and shake your heads about how she's just welfare scum now.

You can't have it both ways.

EXACTLY. With some ignoramuses on here it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

To the naysayers: At least she was working to feed herself instead of letting other people pay so she could get food stamps. But I guess you just look at her, and don't like the way she looks or something so you're going to say "Damn right! The government did right!" You people are unbelievable.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
That's a crazy ordinance! I feel sorry for the lady. I'm glad there's nothing like that where i'm at. My front and back yards are vertible forests. A couple apple trees, lots of veggies and herbs.

Home grown is always the best!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

I’ve seen many similar stories in the US over the last couple of years... normally people banned from growing their own food or keeping chickens...

Growing my own food and keeping chickens is a big passion of mine and I hate to see injustices like this. It always seems to be done under the guise of "health and safety" or "unsightliness"

I really don’t get it!?!

And as for this ridiculous rule regarding “none edible plants over 12 inches high”... what on earth is that all about?? So people can’t grow shrubs, bushes or small trees? Who makes up these rules?!?!

That poor lady... i really feel sorry for her. I know exactly how much hard work you have to put in to grow herbs and vegetables.

If i lived in America i would probably try and start some kind of protest or petition over this... completely unreasonable and heavy handed. People may argue that these are the rules... well i say, If the rules are unfair you should change them... not just lay back and except them!

Disgusting!!

Peace

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Even when we "own" our own land, we are thought of nothing more than long-term renters. If you want to so much as piss in your back yard, you better have permission to do so. This is what we have been brainwashed into thinking is normal. If you want to build on your own land, you have to grease the right palms first. We pay rent for land we own, property tax. Yet this tax is enforced against us by violence of the governments, how do we resist it?

Back in NY, I put up a fence, to dampen noise. I didn't get a permit first, and it was torn down while I was at work. That is when I realized that this world that we live in is fundamentally flawed.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
i know a code enforcement officer in Calif and he told me that the banks are making these complaints because they want to increase the value of the foreclosed property on the street and because the people in some neighborhoods are complaining about bank owned run down boarded up properties.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Here's the Tulsa neighborhood complaint "department" in case anybody feels like complaining about this lady's run-in with the "law" ~

www.cityoftulsa.org...

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join