It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Madison Plateau Microquake Swarm Starting in Yellowstone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Last day or two have been picking up some small, repeated microquake activity at Yellowstone, and it appears to be near the area of the big Madison Plateau swarm of 2010. In the last hour or so, activity has picked up a bit on real time monitoring of stations B207 and YMR.

Here is the B207 heli plot from BUD for 6/16/12 (today):
www.iris.edu...

Keep refreshing that to see this, or if you have GEE you can open those stations.

You can see the activity from yesterday at 207 here:
www.iris.edu...

And to follow this for future days, go here, and select the day you want to see and click "view webicorder":
www.iris.edu...

This activity is low in amplitude, but it definitely appears to be seismic, from my analysis of spectro. This area is in the northwest of the park. While I don't have any news as to EXACTLY where they are occurring yet, just something to keep an eye on. Or dispute, if you would like...But they look like microquakes to me. I expect audio analysis to confirm that, though I haven't done any yet. If you're feeling bored PM, have a go at it.

edit on Sat Jun 16th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Thanks for keeping us posted TA. Glad you are on our side. I look forward to hearing your reports on the matter.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

problly just that volcano,, goes out one end, etc,,,

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Wasn't something going on out there last week also?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
Wasn't something going on out there last week also?

Yes.

This

But I suppose I should point out that this new swarm is happening in a different spot. The SC dome is in the caldera, while these microquakes are outside it. At the moment, I am totally assuming that these are happening near where the last big swarm was, simply, cause they are showing up at 207...Which is the station we were all watching back in 2010... I may try and find out more from official sources exactly where they are happening.

And just now, a brand new bigger one hit... showing at YMR, 207, MCID and YML... hmm...well, here we go. Again.

EDIT: and yep, there she is:
www.iris.edu...

That's still very small, but it appears they are increasing in intensity.
edit on Sat Jun 16th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

I'm not very knowledgeable in this subject so a couple of questions if you will.

How many quakes does it take to qualify this series of quakes as a swarm?

If these quakes are small and all moving in the same direction, does that mean
Movement of magma.

Are earthquake swarms the first step to an upcoming eruption or is there other precursors that more validate an eruption?

Once again I don't have much knowledge and when I try to search this on google I get a bunch of doom and gloom
And also thank you for keeping watch!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
TA , i can recall a thread you did , on a similar issue , regarding a cluster of micro-quakes , your alarm was indeed sound , however nothing happen , thank god

but my question is do you feel strongly about his ? and if so , what do you think will happen ? i just want a prognosis if you will

many thanks

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

The frequencies are way up to 45 Hz, there is no bottom end (possible of course for small quakes that have not been attenuated by distance) and the signal decay is very rapid, in other words it does not appear to have the shape of an earthquake of larger magnitude at least.

I am not saying they are not, just that I am not sure. The bigger one definitely is as I can hear the double thump, and that one peaks at 20 Hz and has more of the earthquake shape.

If those were over long valley or the Cascades someone would be coming back and saying they were aircraft.

The shape of the frequency analysis looks all wrong as well

There is a definite shape to an earthquake and that is not it.

Just my 2c. I am probably wrong since microquakes are not really my bag.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks for your work on this, PM. Can you specify what station that spectro is from, and what event (time/date)?

Yeah, real small, shallow quakes are a bit of a challenge since they may not generate the hot low frequencies that bigger ones do.

A curious situation occurs when microquakes happen in this area at YS, because they may not propagate to more than two stations, especially if the distance to the closest stations is near the limits of the propagation radius. And for all those tiny quakes that aren't big enough to make it to a third station, they may not be declared as network events, and might not show up on the UoU recent quakes list at all. I think this happened during the 2010 swarm, and a lot didn't get officially reported, though we sat there watching.

As of April 6, 2010 a total of 2,347 earthquakes had been automatically located for the entire swarm, including 16 with a magnitude greater than 3.0; 141 with M2.0-2.9; 742 with M1.0-1.9; and 1,361 with M0.0-0.9. The largest events were a pair of earthquakes of magnitude 3.7 and 3.8 that occurred after 11 PM MST on January 20, 2010. Both events were felt throughout the park and in surrounding communities in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

As you can see from the above, the vast majority of the 2,347 events, 1,361 with M0.0-0.9, have difficulty propagating beyond 207 and YMR due to their low magnitude and their particular distant location from 207 and YMR. Imo though, these microquakes share the same kind of super low amplitude signatures as the lower amplitude ones we saw in the 2010 swarm.

Also, not sure how you are getting 45 Hz from EHZ channels. I thought they were filtered at about 20 or 25? Or is what you are analyzing raw and unfiltered?
edit on Sun Jun 17th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

B207 that you referred to and the event shown there is @ 00:37:30 (per the scale on top)

Also, not sure how you are getting 45 Hz from EHZ channels. I thought they were filtered at about 20 or 25? Or is what you are analyzing raw and unfiltered?

Don't know. This is straight from the data farm through Vase and looks as if the cut-off is 50Hz. 20 or 25 seems rather low for an E instrument. They are normally 100 samples per second.

edit on 17/6/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hmm, another bigger event just lit up nearly every station in the park. That one will probably be a declared network event, so I would expect to see it reported somewhere. Another compounding problem is that these microquakes are only showing up at 207 and YMR, and those are both different networks.
So with just one station per network seeing them, they likely won't be declared events on either network!

Something's brewing here it seems. Since that bigger one just hit, now YML is showing some more residual activity too.

I've traced back the overall start of the swarm to 6/14, and it comes and goes in activity.

EDIT: That bigger one just now was a 2.7 right in the SC dome!

earthquake.usgs.gov...

YEP!
www.seis.utah.edu...

Crap!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
To answer questions about whether this is concerning, I would say "not yet". But it is always exciting when Yellowstone grumbles occasionally. And of course once activity starts, it is important to watch for any possible escalation of activity. It's late, and that 2.7 wouldn't have sent out pages to scientists, cause most have that threshold set at 3.0 before pages go out. And this is why. The occasional 2.7, even in the SC dome, is not going to raise many eyebrows. That is, unless some other stronger and vigorous activity were to accompany it. So I'll just keep an eye on it.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Any reason you can think of why that is NOT showing on this one - which is the closest? YUF.WY..HHZ.2012.170

B206 right next door to it is showing OK: B206.PB..EHZ.2012.170 and B207 a bit further away is fine: B207.PB..EHZ.2012.170

I don't understand that!!
edit on 18/6/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

Look here at B208 - even further away and bigger again: B208.PB..EHZ.2012.170

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
Any reason you can think of why that is NOT showing on this one - which is the closest? YUF.WY..HHZ.2012.170

B206 right next door to it is showing OK: B206.PB..EHZ.2012.170 and B207 a bit further away is fine: B207.PB..EHZ.2012.170

I don't understand that!!

Yes, it is because the HHZ channel of YUF is toast at the moment. Try the ENZ channel and see what you get. One thing I have learned after doing some serious telemetry assessment at Ileamna when that all went down, is to be sure and check that stations are actually registering seismicity. Sometimes entire stations, or individual channels of a station won't register seismicity at all, even though it seems there is a waveform output. There are several channels of several stations doing this now at YS. After a while it is easier to recognize what channels are in this non-operative state from spectrograph outputs. But what do I know? I am just observing from beyond.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Mm, so it is! Thanks. I have removed HHZ from my list for the time being.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

np.

And in another bit of news, my official contact did not dispute these small events at all, and just said "interesting", and said they'd keep an eye on them. Pretty sure at this point they are seismic, but I have asked that question directly now and am waiting for an answer. They are also showing at YPM I discovered, so that makes 3 stations now... should you care to check. (Can see YPM on the BUD interface).

For the moment, and the last hours, all has gone back to quiet at YS.
Good.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well there's a bit more confirmation for you, PM:
www.seis.utah.edu...

Looks like the crew at UoU is bored enough to actually post a few of them this time, but as you can see the quakes are occurring, as I suspected, in the same rough area as the 2010 swarm. Looks like another quake hit the SC dome too. I said the area was outside the caldera, when it is in fact, just at the edge or just inside the northwest caldera rim where they are happening.

The bigger ones like the recent 2.7 are easy to confirm, but it's those small ones below 1.5 that are tougher to see. I learned a lot though watching Ileamna, and with guidance from a pro, have learned even more to recognize volcanic microquakes. They are short, and have a sharp onset.

If I have any concerns at all, it is to keep an eye on those quakes in the SC dome. Those quakes that shallow could mean more magma piling in, or they could just be from further caldera subsidence. Could also just be reaction to hydrothermal pressure. I hope to have more info from officials soon.

new topics

top topics

join