It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After three minutes, just shut up.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
reply to post by jiggerj

Dang, you exposed my totally obvious pun!
Anyway, on a lighter note..I do often enjoy reading your posts, JiggerJ..even if I seldom agree with them.

Well, I am all bark and no bite. Wait! You seldom agree? BANG!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
reply to post by jiggerj

I think it's more likely that people just need to divulge information because of their personal insecurity. They're probably hurting in some way. So, what? Just listen for a few minutes, be polite, and tell them a few cliches like "things'll get better with a positive attitude."

You never know what good it'll do for others and yourself.

Anyway, my 3 minutes with this thread are up!
edit on 16-6-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-6-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

Don't go! The three minutes only count in face to face chat.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I was intrigued by the title but to be honest I'd rather listen to my ex-wife talk than read that entire OP. Any way you could say it in a couple of lines?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DenyObfuscation
reply to post by jiggerj

I was intrigued by the title but to be honest I'd rather listen to my ex-wife talk than read that entire OP. Any way you could say it in a couple of lines?

Um, no.
Second line. Still no.
edit on 6/16/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Wow your lack of compassion sucks! I hope we never meet in actual life cause I know damn well this convo would have ended much earlier due to the fact that (well you know) Cough er err Asshole!
ETA: In fact I find you weak trying to portray Walter Matthal persona in Angry old men quite accurately as your pleaguristic avatar suggest's. You're a weak freak, grow up.
edit on 17-6-2012 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by proob4
reply to post by jiggerj

Wow your lack of compassion sucks! I hope we never meet in actual life cause I know damn well this convo would have ended much earlier due to the fact that (well you know) Cough er err Asshole!
ETA: In fact I find you weak trying to portray Walter Matthal persona in Angry old men quite accurately as your pleaguristic avatar suggest's. You're a weak freak, grow up.

Hey. let me know when your 8th birthday comes around. send you a card.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

My thoughts precisely, jiggerj !

Two or three minutes of news and HOURS of speculation and interviews with clever dicks and pundits who are mostly wrong when the truth is known. ( A bit like...shock, horror....ATS...)

...And the very reason I got rid of my TV four years ago...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by proob4
reply to post by jiggerj

BANG!

In all seriousness, you have no right to say that to the OP. Relax.

On topic: I agree, some people lack discretion when speaking. I can listen to people talk endlessly and be sincerely interested and remember every word (most of the time), however it can definitely be exhausting and though it might make someone's day better, they should still learn the guidelines of polite conversationalism.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
LOL!
I gotta agree, but I think the aversion to chatter is a male thing.
It got me out of a ticket once.
We had a house guest who wanted to go shopping with my wife, so after a day of shopping we are returning home.
When.
Suddenly, there is a trooper behind us with his lights on.
I check the speedo=105mph.
Anyway, I'm sitting in the cop car with the trooper and he asks me why I was going so fast.
That's when I told him about my wife and the guest chattering away all day, and I was going fast so I could get home before the chatter made my brain blow up!
He laughed and said "be carefull".
No ticket!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I haven't seen all the replies here (so apologies if someone already pointed this out) -

But modern day life and technology is constantly separating us from how we were meant to live, in real communities with a lot of social feedback. Without this, I think MOST people are so hungry for a bit of validation, to just be heard and understood a little, that when they come across a semi-conscious listener, they just can't help themselves.

Sad.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

I touched upon this a little bit minus the technology and how it affects our social cravings. Besides, you said it much better than I did and I posted like 4 times!

Thanks for hitting the final nail like a champ!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
What irritates me are people at lectures who want to interrupt the speaker -- who is there because he/she is the expert on whatever the subject is -- and (there is always one) someone feels the need to constantly put in their thoughts, questions, opinions. You can see the speaker get aggravated and try in the politest way to tell this person to STFU or ask questions after, but it never works.

Maybe they like the sound of their own voice (as suggested) of want to feel important in some way.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by wevebeenassimilated
What irritates me are people at lectures who want to interrupt the speaker -- who is there because he/she is the expert on whatever the subject is -- and (there is always one) someone feels the need to constantly put in their thoughts, questions, opinions. You can see the speaker get aggravated and try in the politest way to tell this person to STFU or ask questions after, but it never works.

Maybe they like the sound of their own voice (as suggested) of want to feel important in some way.

See, this is where my All New and IMPROVED electric shock collar, with adjustable timer, for people, makes perfect sense....

R&D has added a nifty new feature you should all appreciate. Now, a nano-chip has been added that is based on voice recognition. Should the offending person continue to repeat the same question over and over. The voice recognition nano-chip over-rides the 3 minute timer function, and administers a continuous shock on the offending party, on the second attempt at interrupting the guest speaker.

Technology for the betterment of mankind.

Des

edit on 17-6-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

R&D has added a nifty new feature you should all appreciate. Now, a nano-chip has been added that is based on voice recognition. Should the offending person continue to repeat the same question over and over. The voice recognition nano-chip over-rides the 3 minute timer function, and administers a continuous shock on the offending party, on the second attempt at interrupting the guest speaker. Technology for the betterment of mankind.
reply to post by Destinyone

Now if you had something that would work on those pesky people that sit behind you in the movie theater and talk incessantly! "What did he say?" "Why did she do that?" "Don't go in there!" Or even worse when the person has already seen the movie and is giving away the scenes before they happen!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Personally I prefer long conversations about deep subjects.
I do not watch TV so I guess I am not into the "quick snippet" way of receiving information.
I think people have lost the ability to converse intelligently.

I think I kept this reply under three minutes!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I am convinced the reason why my husband married me and we have stayed married and happy for so long is that : I rarely speak.
It wasnt my beauty, brains, or cooking finesse... it was my silence. Im not shy or have any social anxiety at all, I just dont talk much unless I have something to say. I say it and then Im done. I even point with my head or chin rather than say " LOOK OVER THERE"... which he teased me about for the fist 5 yrs and then it got old. LOL!

Being a quiet person, you really notice how people babble on and on.. yet say very little.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75
You sound communiphobic.

Seek help!

I was thinking the same thing.

Either that or spends time around the most boring and uninspiring individuals.

I remember many all night discussion, exciting and lively debates with brilliant minds as much fun as any TV show, golf game or sport you do with your mouth shut.

It is sad that stimulative discourse and intelligent conversation has become something to be spurned and avoided.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
reply to post by jiggerj

I am convinced the reason why my husband married me and we have stayed married and happy for so long is that : I rarely speak.
It wasnt my beauty, brains, or cooking finesse... it was my silence. Im not shy or have any social anxiety at all, I just dont talk much unless I have something to say. I say it and then Im done. I even point with my head or chin rather than say " LOOK OVER THERE"... which he teased me about for the fist 5 yrs and then it got old. LOL!

Being a quiet person, you really notice how people babble on and on.. yet say very little.

So, I take it you're not a Cathy comics fan? There are so many words in that comic strip that I end up yelling at it: SHUT UP! lol

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

You sound communiphobic.

Seek help!

I remember many all night discussion, exciting and lively debates with brilliant minds as much fun as any TV show, golf game or sport you do with your mouth shut.

It is sad that stimulative discourse and intelligent conversation has become something to be spurned and avoided.

I think the point is that it is VERY difficult to find people who are passionate about what he/I/you are passionate about. The average person is a bore. A very recent example: we had some friends over last week for dinner. The men were doing the man thing in the man cave and we women were in my dining room. I had the choice of speaking with them about A) Gossip about friends and their kids who werent present B) how "blacks" are ruining our town C) What one of the newlyweds present and her husband did at the lake in party cove. The mental pic of 2 50 yr old people .. one topless with 50 yr old boobs.. among 20-somethings just isnt what Id call a stimulating conversation.

Thats what I got from the OP anyway... the babble. Being sick of the babble.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

You sound communiphobic.

Seek help!

Exciting and lively debates are great, as long as what you determine to be exciting and lively doesn't include topics such as: the Three Stooges, video games, the best cat food, best tasting beer, how your friend's mother's ex-boyfriend's cousin can type 300 words per minute.

BANGBANGBANGBANGBANG!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join