It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I (a black woman) left the Democratic Party

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

I think you misread or misunderstood what I wrote. I'm saying that blaming a party rather than a set of laws is the problem. Then I asked you which party you thought would be more willing to amend those laws.
edit on 17-6-2012 by Xtraeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by FoosM

Originally posted by ButterCookie
The more I study Political Science in school, the more politically aware I am becoming. Let me tell you two distinct incidents that made me research the Democratic parties' platform:

At the end of my active duty from the United States Marine Corps (ooo-rah!) , I was single mother having to move back with my mother for a while, until I was able to gain civilian employment.

You say you left the party, but where you even actually involved?
Did you participate in any community meetings?
Did you run for local offices? Did you do deep research
into the people you voted for? Have you had direct contact with
congressmen?

"No taxation without representation"
I know you are being taxed, but who represents you?

What did you do to change the party to represent you?
Dems or Repubs, its just a party of people. Either
these people think like you or they dont.

I see that you had no problem risking your life by joining the marines
and getting involved in other people's [countries] affairs who didnt ask for your help.
So how far will you go to fix your own country?

Glad you asked!!

Since my 8 years of active duty service is not credential enough for you, I:

participated in the Toys for Tots
assisted with wounded servicemen in Bethesda National Naval Medical Hospital
attended local government meetings
internship with a Democratic Senator

as well as casted my vote straight Democratic everytime.

That is my 'involvement'.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

You served 8 years in the military, your location says Memphis a Red/ republican state, so you think your entitled to welfare and section 8 and food stamps that are designed to help the poor and your upset that you don't qualify. So now your a Republican, so I assume you think they will help you qualify?

This is a Clear example of people voting Republican when it doesn't serve there best interests. Don't you think being in a Red state that there would be plenty of jobs? they can't really blame the Democrats can they?

Tennessee is a red state, but Memphis is a blue city.

I do not feel 'entitled' to anything. I was simply saying that if the Federal gov't is going to help citizens, why would treat its veterans worse than its welfare population?

Again, republican ideology is not "No Welfare Ever"...it is "Welfare for a Time".

I think the vast majority of major cities are blue.

Thanks cookie for your service. Good job on pursuing education. I screwed up that whole GI Bill thing....never finished, "wasn't ready for civilian life" is the lame excuse I still claim. Thanks for sharing your take on things.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I was a Welfare recipient for some time.
Even while my (EX) husband was in the Army !
I don't know about others but I surly was not living in luxury.
No car. Even If I could get one how could I insure it?
All clothes second hand.
Lots of noodles and bread. Stood at the meat counter and cried many times.
Children could not play school sports (cost to much)

The Welfare program is a "Catch 22" to be sure.
I had one hell of a time getting off of it for many reasons but the biggest one was
Medical coverage for me and 3 kids.
Not to mention there was never any child support.

On another note. Please don't fool yourselves into believing that only the poor are the people
receiving big benefits from Entitlement Programs.

Here are a few Entitlements that benefit the wealthy:

Home Mortgage Interest Deductions
Social Security
Unemployment Insurance
Veterans Benefits
Medicare

and you better believe the wealthy take full advantage of anything and everything that is available to get
no matter political, religious, cultural, or racial background.

Looks like the majority of U.S. citizens benefits from entitlement programs:

U.S. Government Entitlement Programs

529 or Coverdell (College Savings plan)
Home Mortgage Interest Deduction
Hope or Lifetime Learning Tax Credit
Student Loans
Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit
Earned Income Tax Credit
Social Security--Retirement & Survivors
Pell Grants
Unemployment Insurance
Veterans Benefits - a means test may be required.
G.I. Bill
Medicare
Head Start
Social Security Disability
SSI--Supplemental Security Income
Medicaid
Welfare/Public Assistance
Government Subsidized Housing
Food Stamps

I thought Social Security was a Trust-Fund but Forbs calls it an Entitlement Program, so, so do I.

The Entitlement Crisis is Coming Sooner Than We Thought: Are You Ready?

www.forbes.com...

See all of the breaks wealthy corporations get
www.ctj.org...

Include this, that covers all aspects of political affiliation:

Corporations Pay More for Lobbyist Than They Pay on Taxes

auntie-d.hubpages.com...#

The wealthy often become wealthy and remain wealthy because of Government Entitlements
put into play by Republican and Democrats alike.

Pretty much all of us are using or have taken advantage of some kind of Gov't Entitlement
edit on 17-6-2012 by azureskys because: corrected spelling

edit on 17-6-2012 by azureskys because: added more

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtraeme

I think you misread or misunderstood what I wrote. I'm saying that blaming a party rather than a set of laws is the problem. Then I asked you which party you thought would be more willing to amend those laws.

The Democratic party is pretty notorious for amending laws, and that is not sad will mal sentiment. With that being said, it may not be in our country's best interest to continue to amend certain laws.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by primus2012

Originally posted by LDragonFire

You served 8 years in the military, your location says Memphis a Red/ republican state, so you think your entitled to welfare and section 8 and food stamps that are designed to help the poor and your upset that you don't qualify. So now your a Republican, so I assume you think they will help you qualify?

This is a Clear example of people voting Republican when it doesn't serve there best interests. Don't you think being in a Red state that there would be plenty of jobs? they can't really blame the Democrats can they?

Tennessee is a red state, but Memphis is a blue city.

I do not feel 'entitled' to anything. I was simply saying that if the Federal gov't is going to help citizens, why would treat its veterans worse than its welfare population?

Again, republican ideology is not "No Welfare Ever"...it is "Welfare for a Time".

I think the vast majority of major cities are blue.

Thanks cookie for your service. Good job on pursuing education. I screwed up that whole GI Bill thing....never finished, "wasn't ready for civilian life" is the lame excuse I still claim. Thanks for sharing your take on things.

Thank you!!

Yes, most major cities are mainly blue; they also happen to coincide with high poverty, unemployment, and crime.

I first used my GI bill overseas, way back before I even understood the true importance of higher education. I will motivate you!! Go on back to school...I will motivate you!!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

The Democratic party is pretty notorious for amending laws, and that is not sad will mal sentiment. With that being said, it may not be in our country's best interest to continue to amend certain laws.

So hold on a second. You were unhappy that current laws restricted you from receiving additional benefits while you were going through school, but now you think changing those laws would be a bad thing? Are you on your own side or not?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I bet you are not black.

Are you?

Well?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

I appreciate your comment.

However, you seem to have the sentiment that most have about the 'wealthy'...that it is EVIL to be rich.

Once a person climbs the social ladders and leaves the lower class, they tend to have a different outlook on things, such as taxes and lifelong welfare.

I remember watching a news program where Ben Stein (millionaire) was being interviewed about the higher tax rate being imposed on the rich. It was my first time paying attention to such topic, and I left thinking, "Hell, if I make a million dollars, I will want all of my money too!!!"

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
ButterCookie for president!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

So hold on a second. You were unhappy that current laws restricted you from receiving additional benefits while you were going through school, but now you think changing those laws would be a bad thing? Are you on your own side or not?

It wasn't that I was expecting a change...I wondered why that was the law in the 1st place.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart

I really wish Allen West could be considered for Romney's VP

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart

I really wish Allen West could be considered for Romney's VP
I used to love West but he voted for the 'patriot' act and a couple other things that angered me.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by stanguilles7

I don't identify with the establishment Republicans any more than I do the Dems, but at least a faction of the Republican party has more or less "rebelled" and is becoming a force that is demanding fiscal common sense and personal responsibility.

Do you actually believe that? Can you name who these Republicans are who are demanding fiscal common sense and personal responsibility? Ten bucks says they voted for NDAA and SOPA, the Patriot Acts, etc.

Yes, I believe it because it is very evident. While I am talking more of a growing grass roots movement, there are certainly some who have been elected that have followed through. Many haven't.

The most obvious example is Congressman Paul. But there are others.

Representative Jeff Landry of Louisiana - introduced legislation to reverse the new abuses of the NDAA. The Dems attacked his proposal as, you guessed it, "racist" against Hispanics because his focus was on citizen rights and didn't apply to illegals.

Ah, yes, like those attacks from FELLOW REPUBLICANS like congressman tim griffin.

dailycaller.com...

www.newworldorderreport.com... ut-due-process.aspx

Your partisan blinders apparently only find fault in one party.

I'm smart. I find them with both parties.

Rand Paul is an open adversary of the Federal Reserve and has voted against the legislation you mention.

Ah, yes, Rand "Romney" Paul. Great choice.

The movement within the party is a very real thing and whether they like it or not, the politicians must acknowledge it. And they are doing so. It is the personal responsibility (imagine that) of the citizens to hold their elected officials to their word.

Oh, bullcaca. The VAST majority of the 'tea party caucus' have voted for the Patriot Act, NDAA, and SOPA.

Do I think the Republican Party establishment will bow to the movement? Absolutely not. They will pretend to, but will avoid doing so at all costs. Again, it is the citizens' responsibility to ensure it sticks.

The Democratic party could never, ever embrace this concept because it completely relies on blaming others and of doing anything and everything to avoid responsibility. The Republicans suck but the Democrats are just plain pathetic and laughable.

A party that embraces weakness and victimization while demonizing success and individuality is a sickness. A pathetic joke of an ideology and an establishment.
edit on 16-6-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: sp

Nothing I have stated here is in support of the Democratic Party. So I have no idea why you think attacking them Dems makes your case stronger. (actually, I DO have an idea why...)
edit on 16-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

Oooh. Ad hominem attacks and logical fallacies of many flavors.
Good fun.

Please prove your claims.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Just had to share this story that I read online:

A young lady was visiting her father while on spring break for college. She was a very far left liberal who believed that the poor should be taken care from cradle to grave, and saw no problem with the endless handouts of the Democratic Party. Her father was very right-winged and often debated with his daughter on the parties.

He sits her down and asks, "So....how are you doing in school?"

"Fine daddy. My GPA is still high and I'm still making the Dean's List."

"Good, good. I'm very proud of you. And how is your friend Katy doing?"

"Oh daddy, Katy is a mess! She parties all the time, drinks a lot, not coming to class, and is really falling behind in her work as a result....I think she is on probation because her GPA has dropped under a 2.0"

"Oh...sad to hear....wait! You should go to the Dean's office and tell him that you would like to give Katy half of your GPA. That way you both would have a 2.0!!"

"Daddy, that makes no sense! I work hard for my GPA. I had to study and sacrifice to get it as high as it is. Katy is just going to have to become more responsible."

The father smiled, saying, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

It wasn't that I was expecting a change...I wondered why that was the law in the 1st place.

TANF was created by the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act instituted under President Bill Clinton in 1996. Without the Democratic Party you wouldn't have had those benefits in the first place. Obviously you dislike some of the rules because they made it harder for you to be a 'serious student.' So it sounds to me like you would like there to be an amendment that factors in and accounts for GPA. Do you think the Republican party or the Democratic party would be more willing to institute such a change? Answering that question should determine how you vote.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

Welfare is not a sole Democratic thing...I understand that. The difference is that the Democratic's provision for it is lifelong, while the Republican's stance is temporary. The Democratic party would much rather have you on 'the system' from cradle to grave with no personal responsibility, such as no having additional children while on welfare and submitting to drug testing, for example.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I had done similar research that was inspired by a few black friends I have. They are conservatives and are all successful. They are the ones who clued me in on the KKK and it's history, (it was in fact a "branch" of the Democratic Party). They clued me in on the Whig party and how it was the Republicans/Whigs who introduced virtually all of the meaningful civil rights acts/bills.

It was also explained to me that the black community embraced the Democratic party during JFK's campaign and Presidency. I don't remember the details but in short, JFK was told, "if you want the black vote, you need to court Alberta King, MLK's mother". It was explained that if he appeared sympathetic to her and MLK's cause, they could effectively steal the black vote from the Republican party. I don't remember the name of the person who gave JFK that advice but it was a prominent individual. And guess what? It worked. They fell for it, hook, line and sinker. This, I am told, is when the tides turned with regard to which party blacks supported.

During the days of slavery, blacks were not permitted to learn to read; the democrats didn't want them to learn how to be self-sufficient and educated. They also didn't want them to learn to read the Constitution and Bill of Rights. If you honestly look at politics today, it is still the same way but it isn't portrayed that way. Today it is portrayed that the Democrats are the "generous" ones. The "compassionate" ones. But, in reality, they are keeping slavery alive and well.

Unfortunately, most of the black community living in poverty don't see through the manipulation and repression that is thrust upon them by the liberal/progressive sect in this country. They buy into the propaganda that Republicans are "rich, greedy, white folks who don't have any compassion for the needy", and in my opinion, that is a crime of the highest order. If you really look at it for what it is, the Republican party would like NOTHING more than to see all blacks and other minorities free themselves from the repressive life thrust upon them and remove them from the shackles of the Democratic party.

You've all heard the saying, "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime". In my opinion, this accurately describes the Republican and Democratic parties.

Let me say, I'm not deluded enough to believe that Republicans don't have any other agenda; they do, but it doesn't change the upside for minorities or other folks trying to break free of the slave system.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by axslinger

You are kidding yourself. The GOP needs a black underclass because the key to GOP electoral success lies in getting dumb whites to vote against their interests. Just like the confederate soldiers, GOP supporters are fed a false sense of superiority and a scapegoat to hate. "I may be poor, but I ain't THAT poor," and "look at that n----- mama poppin' out babies to get her welfare check."

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I didn't believe in shill posts until I read this thread

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join