It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voyager 1 May be in Interstellar Space Sooner than Once Expected (or Perhaps Already Is)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The Voyager Spacecraft is very close to the edge of our solar system, and may be on the verge of crossing over into intelstellar space

In a major milestone, NASA has reported that the Voyager I spacecraft may be close to becoming the first human creation ever to cross the invisible boundary separating our solar system from interstellar space. A surge of new data shows that the probe has been encountering a huge uptick in galactic cosmic rays — a key factor that would signify that the Voyager has, indeed, left the building.

Link to Source article:
Voyager I May Soon Become the First Spacecraft to Reach Interstellar Space

This news is a little surprising; it was previously thought that Voyager would tak a little longer to get there. However, Voyager isn't getting faster, but the boundary of the Solar system may be closer than they thought. NASA has recalculated where the edge of the solar system actually is, and feels Voyager may cross it at any time:

Scientists analyzing recent data from NASA's Voyager and Cassini spacecraft have calculated that Voyager 1 could cross over into the frontier of interstellar space at any time and much earlier than previously thought. The findings are detailed in this week's issue of the journal Nature.

Link to source article:
Recalculating the Distance to Interstellar Space

Also, a link to the NASA/JPL Voyager mission website:
Voyager Mission Website

edit on 6/16/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
34 Years in space, now this type of news makes me feel and i assume makes all humans feel so insignificant when comparing our wars on this planet and what may lay before us since we might have committed the worst possible scenario by showing who ever comes across it as to our location. Time will tell...

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

34 Years in space, now this type of news makes me feel and i assume makes all humans feel so insignificant when comparing our wars on this planet and what may lay before us...

This makes you feel humanity is insignificant. Bully for you if that's what pushes your button.

Each to his own. To me, this news shows that humanity, tiny as it is in comparison to the universe, is most definitely significant. Wars and all.

edit on 17/6/12 by Astyanax because: of obsessiveness.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join