It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Election Thread. Election for Regent of ATS(IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT PG. 71)

page: 63
<< 60  61  62    64  65  66 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

A few clever words doesn't breast feed the infants in a community. It takes work. Commitment. Resolve.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by Nosred

A few clever words doesn't breast feed the infants in a community. It takes work. Commitment. Resolve

Don't get me wrong now, I'm all for starving babies, but I am a very commited and resolvent person. Perhaps the most resolvent person you will ever have the luxury of chatting with on an online forum.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Well, your entitled to your beliefs......Good Luck.......

I will vote for someone with "strong" people skills...and I don't see that as one of your "strengths" compared with other canidates.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

As has been prophesied by the gods of old, some of the members of ATS have become Nosred.

Some of you are even officially me now. Such glory that you must feel.

This is not the end though. No, this is only the beginning. My campaign of Becoming has only started. There will be more, and they will be me. Oh, they will SO be me. Soon...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
As a candidate for the fake ATS Regent position, I'd like to step back a bit, and look at a few topics about this fake election, before we actually (perhaps) vote on a candidate.

This is an experiment.

It has no official sponsorship. There is no title to win.

As an experiment in human politics, I am as surprised as beezzer was that such interest developed.

In the end, only one may win.

(Yet to be determined.)

The whole point is, that after any game, contest, or experiment that ATS throws at us, we feel closer as a race of beings, we feel connected, if but only by our computers in front of us. In this instance it's a political experiment, and it honestly shows the character of individuals. You know who you won't vote for. That's what the experiment is all about, to see how far politics can hold up, under scrutiny. I've given my positions. My platform is strong.

There's a part of everyone that wants to connect. It's genetically ingrained.

In order to find that connection, you have to search. You have to perceive, and dictate to your soul the best person for the job. If you've made your choice, congrats, you are sure of your resolve.

To me, life is a mystery to never be explained.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

This is an experiment.

It has no official sponsorship. There is no title to win.

That's exactly why I want to be elected.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

To me, life will never be explained no matter how hard we try. But we want to make life better for ourselves and for future generations. Might as well tech up, right?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Tadeusz

There are no answers that are not self-affirming. Goedel's incompleteness theorem states as much. Rather than find a replacement for our answers, why don't we seek them out? Each of us gets one life to live, and one life only. Why would we waste that?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
As I've said throughout this thread (hey, it rhymes!) people talk of politics in the astract.

I wanted to make it real.

There has been fun, drama, post bans, mud slinging, name calling, . . . . . . . . .

Almost as much as any real election.

My question is this.

Have any candidates opinions on politics changed based on this thread?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Errrrr no.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Well, I do wish you good luck

It sure is the responsibility of all of us to work together, alert T&C violations and more, just as I have said from the beginning.

I wish all of my fellow candidates good luck!

edit on 27-6-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

Thanks and same wishes for everyone.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

Originally posted by 74Templar
OK. With Beezzer’s approval, I have a follow on series of questions to all candidates. These may be taken in jest or seriousness, the choice is yours. While the real world issues are important here, some of the more ATS slanted topics should be addressed by our Regents-to-be, including the scenario we are quite possibly only six months or so away from. The dreaded 2012/end of the world ongoing saga.

So, this is our scenario. 2012, Niburu, the great flood, the apocalypse, the end of times, whatever your choosing, has cometh. Mankind has been reduced to a shadow of its former self, and a second dark age has begun.
As a natural leader of men and women, you have gathered a community of survivors to your side with the intention of starting over.

Most people are not going to like my answers, But hey if you didn't want the answers you wouldn't have asked.

I have already decided that the human race as a whole has been a catastrophic failure. And I am serious when I say I intend to do everything I can to bring about our extinction. We are a plague on the planet, and to ourselves. Every other living thing will be better off without us around.

If the remaining population was very small, (like in that book/movie "the Road") then I would go about killing everyone I met. If I came upon any small communities, I would try to destroy their food sources i.e. fire, poison, salting fields.

If there was a substantial population left. Where it would be impossible to have any impact. I would find myself a cabin, shack or compound that I could easily defend. Then I would string up bodies around my perimeter to warn everyone to stay clear of the area.

But then you yourself would fight to survive? Amazing logic. Scary in fact. Don't forget your meds please.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Thankyou. At least one person took the time to see the premise for what it was.

It's quotes like these;

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by Springer

And I've been tagged to keep an eye on this. As I said earlier be somewhat serious about this but still have fun.

and this;

Originally posted by Springer
While I'm glad to see the latest posts getting back to the original intent of this thread, I want to make it clear that if turns back into meaningless chit chat, it will either be closed or moved to Chit Chat.

I know some of you are really enjoying this, don't let it get shut down by pointlessness, TAC violations or, worse yet, drama.

Springer...

and even this;

Originally posted by Gemwolf
ATTENTION PARTICIPANTS

Let's not lose focus of the actual intent of the thread.

Thank you.

That had me concerned we were losing our way in this "experiment."

I'll admit, the questions were a little over the top for ATS, but we are surrounded by this type of thing every day and have forums dedicated to it's discussion.

I know this is a fake election. I know people do it because they want to, not because they are going to get some great power trip or special priveliges because of it.That is an honourable thing, not something to be belittled or misrepresented.

What I wanted to see was the reactions and answers from fellow experienced members on topics they otherwise discuss daily. As experienced members who obviously want to see the best out of our ATS community. And of course to spice up the debate process a little. Regular or extra crispy is fine, but sometimes the questions need to be worth more than just a few seconds of thought.

If you feel the questions are irrelevant or not pertinent to the Regent election, then bypass and ignore them. This, after all is an election, and the best answer usually wins.

edit on 27-6-2012 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

If anything, it's helped to solidify them. Given the opportunity to think about possibilities has allowed me to think more openly, and to consider the IFs. I ran with it.

I've also learned about other members here, and that is a huge plus. Sure, it's an on-line scenario, not real life, but character remains true.

Here's a few more questions for everyone reading.

1) Have you learned anything new from this thread? If so, what?

2) Was your opinion of a candidate swayed by the mudslinging?

3) Was this electoral process much like real life? Was that to be expected?

4) Did the candidates act as people, or politicians?

lastly,

5) Is this election something you'd want to participate in next year? With the Regent being a year long title, would you want to participate again?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

If anything, it's helped to solidify them. Given the opportunity to think about possibilities has allowed me to think more openly, and to consider the IFs. I ran with it.

I've also learned about other members here, and that is a huge plus. Sure, it's an on-line scenario, not real life, but character remains true.

lastly,

5) Is this election something you'd want to participate in next year? With the Regent being a year long title, would you want to participate again?

1. I met new people and got to know them and enjoyed it quite a bit!
2. Yes, there are some who I became extremely opposed to due to the mudslinging and will not interact with in the future due to it.
3. To a point yes, but we did get to include more humor and light heartedness.
4. A little of each. Some acted as just normal people, others were very, very much like politicians.
5. That depends, can I serve two consecutive terms? I don't know if I'll be qualified next year since I win this year...as witnessed by the time machine jump...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
As I've said throughout this thread (hey, it rhymes!) people talk of politics in the astract.

I wanted to make it real.

There has been fun, drama, post bans, mud slinging, name calling, . . . . . . . . .

Almost as much as any real election.

My question is this.

Honestly? No, I've seen pretty much what we see in real life politics. Some playing fair, some not. Some attacking others, some not. Some slinging mud, some not. Drama left and right....

Some shooting themselves in the foot with their campaign, some becoming clear front runners.... In my humble opinion, it has been remarkably similar to real life politics...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
My answers to Druid42's questions, even though I was not a candidate, I have followed the whole thing, all of the different threads, and enjoyed the whole experiment.

I did. I learned more about some of my fellow members and got to meet some wonderful people and made some new friends.

Absolutely. I found it distasteful and it confirmed my resolve that they would not be candidates that I would consider any further.

I believe that it was like real life politics. Actually, I wasn't expecting that. At least not to the extent that it happened. I truly believed that with all of the complaining about politics that is done here, we wouldn't see members participating in the very things that are complained about.

A bit of both.

lastly,

Absolutely! I would probably choose to participate behind the scenes again as a supporter and offer my help to a candidate, but I would definitely participate again.

Take care,
Cindi

Vote TRUTH_2012

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I had assumed in the past, that if such an election were held here, it would be a bit different than how it was handled in real life. But, it has been fairly close to what we see in real life politics on a daily basis.

I have learned a lot about my fellow candidates and where they stand on many issues,how they carry themselves in talking to others and discussing their stance...

I have gained respect for many and am happy to be a part of it all.

I am glad to see that not all candidates took part in mud slinging though, as often takes place in real life candidates and I do believe, those that did, ended up shooting themselves in the foot.

I think, that at the end of the day, the people may actually vote based on the issues... Rather than making it a popularity contest. I find this a key difference between real life politics and ATS politics and I consider it a good change...

Was your opinion of a candidate swayed by the mudslinging?

I've always had trouble taking seriously a candidate who sits there and does nothing but attack others and mud sling. It makes me think that perhaps, they have nothing to use to build up them selves with, so they have to try and make others look bad, instead.

I have refused to take part in mud slinging and have insisted on running a clean and fair campaign and I think it is no coincidence that those who did not take part in mud slinging, are front runners.....

So no, not swayed, I have always been against mud slinging.

Was this electoral process much like real life? Was that to be expected?

Yes, in most ways, it was much like real life politics. Mud slinging, people joining parties to support their candidate. Some attacks, some clear front runners, great debates...Not so great debates....

Again, I feel the key difference is that here on ATS, the membership, will likely vote based on the issues and where each candidate stands, rather than turn it into a popularity contest.

Was it to be expected? I expected it to be a bit different then what happens in real life, but at the end of the day, I am not all that surprised...We are all people from the real world, after all.

Did the candidates act as people, or politicians?

Both, Some took this election seriously and some did not... It brought out the best in some and the worst in others...As tends to happen with Politicians in real life.

Is this election something you'd want to participate in next year? With the Regent being a year long title, would you want to participate again?

Absolutely, as long as the people want me to run, I will run gladly!

I wish good luck to each of my fellow candidates.

Vote Truth_2012 for your ATS Regent
edit on 27-6-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: Correcting a typo

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
This has been and continues to be a great experience. I've met new people, gained lots of respect for many and at the end of the day, am proud to be a part of all this.

I am proud of the campaign I have run and continue to run. Clean, honest and civil. Free of mud slinging and I am proud with where I stand on the issues and in this election.

I have seen other clean campaigns and some....Not so clean... Some taking this seriously and some....Not so much, but at the end of the day, I wish each of my fellow candidates good luck.

Now is the time to come together in peace and in truth, for our community.

Vote TRUTH_2012 for ATS Regent

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<< 60  61  62    64  65  66 >>

join