It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Election Thread. Election for Regent of ATS(IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT PG. 71)

page: 62
<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I have made a request to the mods and staff to move te election up.

This required me to perform several rituals in order for the mods to consider my request. As a result, I am temporarily out of vestal virgins.

We'll just have to wait and see.

beez

I agree that is a good idea. I hope they do oblige.

Thank you all and good luck to my fellow candidates.

I welcome everyone, again, to have a look at where I stand on the issues and see for yourselves why I am the best choice for ATS Regent.

Platform posts:
Why gimme_some_truth would make a great ATS Regent
gimme_some_truth Platform: Part1
gimme_some_truth Platform: Part 2
gimme_some_truth Platform: Part 3

Interview Posts:
Interview of gimme_some_truth: Part 1
Interview of gimme_some_truth: Part 2
gimme_some_truth latest interview: Part 1
gimme_some_truth latest Interview: Part 2

Debate Answer Posts:
gimme_some_truth Debate answers: Part 1
gimme_some_truth Debate answers: Part 2
gimme_some_truth Debate Answers: Part 3

Vote TRUTH_2012 for your ATS Regent

edit on 27-6-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

And I've been tagged to keep an eye on this. As I said earlier be somewhat serious about this but still have fun.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

And I've been tagged to keep an eye on this. As I said earlier be somewhat serious about this but still have fun.

You're still voting for me

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Originally posted by intrepid

You're still voting for me

No I have lots of Springer Applause he's gonna vote for me
Neener Neener

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Thankyou for the replies. The premise was to make the candidates think, to get inside their heads and see how they would effect change had they the oppurtunity. An unofficial ATS experiment. This is something we do not challenge our politicians to do imo.

The general consensus though, is that as a Regent, you can effect no real change, and that your title is nothing more than a tin-foil wrapped hat and an old bed sheet draped across your shoulders.

I have one more question then;

If this is the case, then why campaign? If your title has no real substance and your position has no real ability, then why put your hand up to be counted as a Regent?

A Regent is a leader in the absence of a King or Ruler. Someone who will take the will of the people and what is best for the community as their badges of office. What will you do for the people and the community (ATS) as a leader in the absence of a King?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Well, that speaks millions, folks. There's been three mod warnings, then Springer makes a statement. From

From the OP:

Hi folks! I got the okay from the ATS head office (a bunker buried half a mile in Antartica). Since this is an election year in the states and in many other places around the globe, I thought it'd be fun to have our own. Here's the rules. Each party nominates their person to hold the office of Regent.

I went with "Regent" because we are an international community.
Any "party" can provide a person for nomination.
Green
Conservative
Liberal
Banana Republic
Donner
ANY party.

The nominees (once selected) can debate amongst themselves here. After the debates, the Supreme Overlords at ATS have agreed to have a "poll" or a vote with the nominees listed. There is no money. There is no current label or title. (Mods?) But the person can rule supreme as ATS Regent (in their own mind).

Everyone read the OP, right?

So, Springer, do we get the OK to use the polling software? Is there hope for humanity?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar
Thankyou for the replies. The premise was to make the candidates think, to get inside their heads and see how they would effect change had they the oppurtunity. An unofficial ATS experiment. This is something we do not challenge our politicians to do imo.

The general consensus though, is that as a Regent, you can effect no real change, and that your title is nothing more than a tin-foil wrapped hat and an old bed sheet draped across your shoulders.

If this is the case, then why campaign? If your title has no real substance and your position has no real ability, then why put your hand up to be counted as a Regent?

A Regent is a leader in the absence of a King or Ruler. Someone who will take the will of the people and what is best for the community as their badges of office. What will you do for the people and the community (ATS) as a leader in the absence of a King?

That's an easy one!! It's a popularity contest to prove that I'm the best looking!!!

As regent, I'll continue to be extremely good looking and make them happy just by seeing my presence!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Because being an ATS Regent is about being an advocate for the people. It has nothing to do with what we might do, if we were put in charge of the world, in the event of an end of the world type scenario.

What we would do, is act as an advocate for the people. Be a great example of what ATS is about. Help show what a great ATSer is, by example. If we see any T&C issues, alert it.

If a member needs help with something on ATS, we are there, to help them or at the very least, point them in the right direction.

I am campaigning, because I am the person, who, more than any other candidate, can help, work with the people and help to create a better, more friendly community.

The election in itself is an exercise and if you were expecting us to have some kind of political power, I am sorry that you were misled.

The extent of what we can and will do, is use our knowledge, connections, abilities and more, to work with the people, help them to get the ball rolling, if, perhaps they have an idea for a project..Or...Even if they just need help with an avatar....

This is what I have always done as a member and what I will continue to do as ATS Regent.... I will use honesty,civility, integrity, respect and more, along with my connections to the owner, admin, staff and many wonderful members, to help my fellow members.

THIS, is what a great ATS Regent will do....

And this is why I urge you all to vote Truth_2012 for your ATS Regent, as this is what I have always and will always do.

I am there for you and the rest of my fellow members and will work with you to find solutions to your problems here on ATS...

Now is the time to come together in peace and in truth, for our community.

Vote Truth_2012 for your ATS Regent.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

That's why when I win (as I saw in my time jump), I will change the office of regent so each and every member is a regent (by renaming "regent" to "member" so there won't be any changes that have to take place on profiles or anything) and it is the responsibility of all of us to help along those who are new, alert according to T&C and to make ATS a better place!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Well, I do wish you good luck

It sure is the responsibility of all of us to work together, alert T&C violations and more, just as I have said from the beginning.

I wish all of my fellow candidates good luck!

edit on 27-6-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

OK. With Beezzer’s approval, I have a follow on series of questions to all candidates. These may be taken in jest or seriousness, the choice is yours. While the real world issues are important here, some of the more ATS slanted topics should be addressed by our Regents-to-be, including the scenario we are quite possibly only six months or so away from. The dreaded 2012/end of the world ongoing saga.

So, this is our scenario. 2012, Niburu, the great flood, the apocalypse, the end of times, whatever your choosing, has cometh. Mankind has been reduced to a shadow of its former self, and a second dark age has begun.
As a natural leader of men and women, you have gathered a community of survivors to your side with the intention of starting over.

Most people are not going to like my answers, But hey if you didn't want the answers you wouldn't have asked.

I have already decided that the human race as a whole has been a catastrophic failure. And I am serious when I say I intend to do everything I can to bring about our extinction. We are a plague on the planet, and to ourselves. Every other living thing will be better off without us around.

If the remaining population was very small, (like in that book/movie "the Road") then I would go about killing everyone I met. If I came upon any small communities, I would try to destroy their food sources i.e. fire, poison, salting fields.

If there was a substantial population left. Where it would be impossible to have any impact. I would find myself a cabin, shack or compound that I could easily defend. Then I would string up bodies around my perimeter to warn everyone to stay clear of the area.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

As ATS has no leaders or kings for there to be an absence thereof, your question is irrelevant.

This question is in essence then, a rehash of what we hope to accomplish as regent if elected.

My answer can be found here:
Link

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Shower the slums with power from the war marching drums that have come to devour the weakness that runs when we come.

Is it paranoia? Is it real? How long can a man enjoy what he doesn't feel?
edit on 27-6-2012 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Why in the world would you participate in this "experiment" if you diislike people so much? Going off on your own to your lonely life in the cabin wouldn't be "enough", you would kill and sabatoge other survivors?

Thinking your not "Regent" material...yikes

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
reply to post by watchitburn

Why in the world would you participate in this "experiment" if you diislike people so much?

I hate people too.

Vote 4 me pls

Edit: I don't think we're a plague though. We're on a rock floating in space, nothing we do [snip] matters.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

I loath people as a whole, individual people here and there are fine and very entertaining. But they do not make up for the failings of the entire race.

ATS on the other hand is always entertaining, I enjoy this site very much. I would like this site to stay as it is for as long as possible.

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
......SKIP THIS POST, and read the one below. THEN, come back and continue. That'll teach me for having two tabs open at once, and posting the wrong one first.

Here you are displaying symptoms of a programmed mentality. You are thinking within the box, as others do who think we need laws to make us behave. You have to closely examine the roots of the system to see that it is diseased from it's inception, with the flaw being this: People need laws to behave. People don't need laws to determine their behavior, they need guidance from their peers. With proper peer review, people interact amicably.

Is there a need for general laws, yes. Base them off the ten commandments, then toss in the golden rule. Make sure you vote on the community census.

5. What of religion? In a post apocalyptic world does the faith of a supreme being have a place? Would you even allow religion within your community? If so, in what capacity?

Here's another example of a programmed mentality. You are taught as a child in "something supreme", and you either believe or compromise. I'd like to think that future generations are closer bound to the earth, and realize that the supreme being is all around us on this planet we live upon, that we are all a part of a bigger design, and we each have a role. Okay, I'll say it. It's the "Gaia Hypothesis." I thought I'd run on a platform that wouldn't draw much interest, originally. It still hasn't.

6. Would you introduce a police force to uphold the laws? A military to protect your community? Or would the people be their own army, and police themselves? What of modern weapons such as firearms? Would they be allowed in your community? Even from protection from outside forces, or as hunting tools?

The people is the army. Weapons are kept in a stockade, and anyone can "check out" a weapon at anytime. Since the community members are close, and they know their first names, "Fred" knows that "Jack" is going squirrel hunting, after he checks out a .22 long rifle with a 15x40 scope.

There'll be guards that stand shift, and check their weapons in and out. Noone is allowed to take a firearm home. They are kept in the stockade. There are at least three stockades per settlement. Yes, armory is very important after the collapse. The guards will alert for an attack, and all citizens will take arms.

7. What process would you put in place to allow new people to join your community? Would you even allow new people to join your community? Would it be an open door policy? Would you only allow people with a certain skill set to become part of your community?

Here's where the philosophical questions get REALLY tough. Yes, new community members will be accepted. It wouldn't be an open door policy. It would be skill based. You can enter our community, but you may realize that you need to move on. Not all people will be accepting of our philosophy, so we'll invite everyone a night of good rest, then move along.

8. And finally, what process would you use for the workforce to sustain the community? Would people be assigned jobs based on their former skills? How would you go about designating jobs to people in order to keep the community going? If at all? Would it be a worker benefits the community as a whole system, such as (gasp), communism? Or would people be free to work at their own leisure and pace, and maintain their own survival means, such as shelter and food?

A lot of the underlying fears presented by this question can be allayed by knowing what an anarchy really is. There is no process to use. The community just does what it does, and everyone shares the required knowledge to survive. We, as homo sapiens have done that for thousands of years. It wasn't until Democracy was invented that things got complicated and people started thinking they needed to be led by someone or something. It's not so. People actually can govern themselves, but they forgot how after years of being programmed.

How can working together be something we've forgotten? WHY?

edit on 6/27/12 by Druid42 because: explained

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Read the quote....It is "a scenario". Hypothetical. It's intended as an exercise in morality, given harsh scenarios, and tough questions you have to ask yourself about said scenarios. I think the questions are encompassing, showing serious thoughtfulness on behalf of the questionnaire, so therefore, I will provide answers as a candidate, and although I realize I am given the opportunity to be light-hearted, I'll answer as I feel. I perceive that this is a very important set of questions, because for the one simple fact: Life as we know it will not continue much longer. The collapse is coming, in my opinion. When? I honestly don't know, but I see several unsustainable systems in place, and whether you wish to call it global warming, or economic collapse, or an extra-terrestrial body impacting the earth, I see all of us needing to address the issues provided by 74Templar. If nothing else, it is a very unique and imaginary thought problem.

OK. With Beezzer’s approval, I have a follow on series of questions to all candidates. These may be taken in jest or seriousness, the choice is yours. While the real world issues are important here, some of the more ATS slanted topics should be addressed by our Regents-to-be, including the scenario we are quite possibly only six months or so away from. The dreaded 2012/end of the world ongoing saga.

So, this is our scenario. 2012, Niburu, the great flood, the apocalypse, the end of times, whatever your choosing, has cometh. Mankind has been reduced to a shadow of its former self, and a second dark age has begun.
As a natural leader of men and women, you have gathered a community of survivors to your side with the intention of starting over. The questions are as follows;

That was the premise.

1. What system of governance would you introduce? If any? Would it be a monarchical society with you as its creator at the head? Or would it be a true democratic society with the people having the final and absolute voice and vote? Or would it be a martial law state with soldiers who protect the civilians, but at the same time rule over them?

An Anarchy, of course. It's the perfect time to re-introduce the concept. There are about as many flavors of Anarchy as there are Religion, but the basic premise of anarchy is that the people can rule themselves. Think about it, the Greeks invented demo-cracy, it's been twisted, and the people don't really do anything anymore except vote. There is no way to a regular citizen to decide policy. You have to lobby someone who has that ability. Anarchy brings it back to the individual. You, as a citizen, are a member of council. Your vote counts. There's no ego anymore by being an elected representative, and no office with no special perks. You are simply another member of society. You do your job, (whatever that may be), and show up to vote for the issues at hand. Politics is not a full-time job, it's a conversation to be had while you are contributing to society. Would there be a leader? Of course. The title would be discussed, perhaps Regent, and voted upon by members in each district.

2. What infrastructure would you build? If any? Would you attempt buildings, agriculture and electricity like the current system we have? Or would you prefer a natural existence or even a nomadic one?

I'll deal with this topic on a worst case scenario basis. Total destruction of all infrastructure. Naw, can't do that. To make it realistic, call it 50% of everything destroyed. No more power grid, however, power plants in geographic locations are salvageable. Communities reform and power centers, and pillaging resources from surroundings reigns supreme. I'd say 75% would retain the primitiveness and adapt.

3. Would you re-introduce money and taxation? Or would you have a barter system introduced where trade for goods and services is the norm? How would people pay for their basic goods and services if at all?

Taxation is allowing an entity to take your money from you. An anarchy doesn't allow taxes. If there was value to anything, it would be a wooden chip, carved with a 5. Or a 10, or whatever. It would be a barter system, but chips offered to offset the trade deficiency. The gold standard went bust. Make it wood, and make it worthless. It'll keep it's innate value longer, as chips will be polished and beautiful with wear. That's the beauty of an anarchy, everything has arbitrary value. Oh, Wait....*ponders*

4. In any society laws prevent chaos, or that is what we were taught in the current system. Thus, what laws, if any would you create to keep order? How would you exact justice to those who broke the law? And what punishments, if any, would you deem sufficient to those who broke the laws, up to and including corporal punishment for the worst crimes?

CONTINUED IN THE POST ABOVE....
edit on 6/27/12 by Druid42 because: Time jump, dang you Chiten! Temporal waves are flucuating.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

I could not support someone that hates people. Perhaps we are all "helpless, floating on a "rock" in space...But everyday we can breath, learn, laugh and love...is a day worth living.......

The "Regent" should be a person that understands this..........

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

My beliefs are contrary to watchitburn's though since while I don't usually like people as individuals I see no problem with the concept of humanity as a whole, which I think is the exact opposite of his philosophy.

I don't consider humans a "plague" and I would like for humans to survive as long as possible and maybe even expand out into space.

Then we can go have a meaningless existence while floating on different rocks than the one we're on now. It'll be pretty cool.

oh no I'm being too articulate, please 4give me. I must now shatter myself in retribution for my crimes.

top topics

<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join